Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Small Pet Select Hay is amazing!

bnt1988

Cavy Slave
I just got my 8 lbs box in an my pigs love it! It's very soft, almost moist like, and smells great. This is definitely the best hay I've ever got. It's a great price too. $24.99, tax free and free shipping. It only took a week to get it too. Anybody else try it out yet? It's the one advertised at the top right.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I get my hay from Small Pet Select Too....I'm on my second box and just ordered my third. My girls LOVE it. It always smells so fresh and green. Best hay i have ever bought my girls. It takes a week for me to get mine in too...i wish it didn't take that long, but well worth the wait.
How many piggies do u have? And how long does the 8lbs box normally last you?

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! I have been looking for soft hay for my piggies for a while now. Gonna go order right away!

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
I found a coupon code for free shipping for any Timothy Hay from Small Pet Select: CLINTONCRITTERCARE

bnt1988

Cavy Slave
I have to pigs, and they eat like three to four big handfuls a day. I used to buy the Oxbow 90oz bag for $25 at Petsmart, which was about half the size of this, and would last a little over a month, so I'm guessing it's going to last about two months!
I get my hay from Small Pet Select Too....I'm on my second box and just ordered my third. My girls LOVE it. It always smells so fresh and green. Best hay i have ever bought my girls. It takes a week for me to get mine in too...i wish it didn't take that long, but well worth the wait.
How many piggies do u have? And how long does the 8lbs box normally last you?

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I have 3 girls and so far the 8lb box is lasting me maybe 2 weeks . I change their hay daily! Plus during floor time the get boxes they can get in with hay. They love playing and laying in the hay while they eat!! So that has to b changed daily too!! I'm thinkin about making them hay bags/sacks for their cage. So they don't go through so much! The 8lb box cost me $24 which is really good!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I just got my second 50 lb box from them and it's as beautiful as the first one was. It's about the same price I paid for Oxbow that I'd special order and pick up at the store. This is delivered to my door which is better.

bnt1988

Cavy Slave
I used to let my pigs just play in piles of hay, but I got this hay rack right here, and my pigs can get to the hay so much easier compared to any hay rack I've bought, and has saved so much hay and money. It's a lot bigger looking than it appears and totally safe. Hayrack for C&C Cages Well worth the $12.99 if you ask me!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Do they ship to Canada, or is it only the US?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used to let my pigs just play in piles of hay, but I got this hay rack right here, and my pigs can get to the hay so much easier compared to any hay rack I've bought, and has saved so much hay and money. It's a lot bigger looking than it appears and totally safe. Hayrack for C&C Cages Well worth the $12.99 if you ask me!
Thanks, yes, we actually had this hay rack manufactured to our specification just for us for C&C Cages. It's as big as it can be and still be shipped economically.

Small Pet Select Hay is amazing!
Small Pet Select Hay is amazing!

Hayrack for C&C Cages

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Holy moley that hay is expensive! I think I will stick with KMs.

Really, wow!

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! I just placed my order for an 8 lb. box. I used the free shipping code, and it stated that the free shipping code is good until 1/1/14, so it can be used all year! :)

For a hay rack, I recently switched to a hay silo by taking a leftover grid from the C&C cage, folding it into a U shape, and zip tied it in the corner of their kitchen area. Works like a charm. The squares are large enough for the piggies to grab the hay, but not so large that they are crawling inside (like I have seen happen with hay bags). I can easily fill the hay from the top of the hay silo, and can fill it full enough that I don't have to fill it every single day.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
@MissJean the 50lb box is $64.99 but if you sign up for their auto ship (which I guess you are in control of when it ships and bills) the shipping is free. SO I think that is around the same price as the KMs for me with shipping. I just got my first box of KMs hay and I've gotten pellets from her for 2 years now so I'm not sure who to go with. Six of one half dozen of the other I guess! LOL

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
I didn't really like the HUGE bags. The Kaytee hay from Walmart is cheap and I LOVE the fragrance and the freshness. I get the big bags of them and they last a while. I have 3 pigs and they all get their hay racks filled daily. The small pet hay seems expensive, but I haven't used it so it may be worth it. :)

southernfury

Cavy Slave
@Onetwo...The auto shipping is by your control. U can pick how often it is shipped and billed. I have mine set up for every 15 days, but u can go longer if you need too. And You can stop the auto shipping/billing at any time. I Love Small pet select....they are very fast to respond to your questions, they shipping is pretty decent and the Hay is Always fresh !! Right now i only get the 8lb box, so i can average out the cost and how much my girls go through their hay. So if i'm adding right...i will start ordering the bigger boxes of hay very soon. Plus Small Pet Select always has coupon codes on their Facebook page for free shipping and free stuff. Also you get points every time u order & you can use those points toward their merchandise. Which i think is awesome..!! Another plus i have found about the 8lb box of hay is...that i can use the boxes as storage or i can turn them into hidey places for my girls during floor time. :) My kids call me crazy, cause i will use every box in the house to make play area for the girls..!! My girls love coming out during floor time cause they get to see how momma has their stuff layed out and the new tunnels they can run through..!!

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Holy moley that hay is expensive! I think I will stick with KMs.

Really, wow!

Really depends on where you live. I mean for 45lbs at the moment from KMS would cost me 61.93 while Small Pet Select's 50lbs would cost me 64.99, so roughly the same. I'm guessing KMS shipping charges aren't insane for you? XD I've heard around that their shipping costs vary depending on where you live.

I got a box of Small Pet Select hay recently and I love it. Much better deal then the 9lb oxbow bags the pet store was ordering for me, and much more reliable. And no more hay splinters! *ouch*

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You all need to be aware that shipping charges that you paid just a few weeks ago, compared to shipping charges NOW are going to be very different.

All carriers have raised their rates.

USPS just did away with parcel post this week and a lot shipping rate stuff is a bit chaotic. Businesses are catching up on all of the changes.

So, you really need to make sure you are comparing TODAY's quoted shipping for anyone. Do not necessarily go by what you used to pay.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Really depends on where you live. I mean for 45lbs at the moment from KMS would cost me 61.93 while Small Pet Select's 50lbs would cost me 64.99, so roughly the same. I'm guessing KMS shipping charges aren't insane for you? XD I've heard around that their shipping costs vary depending on where you live.

I just looked up the prices. (With shipping to my zipcode)

For a Small Pet Select 4.5 box, the hay costs $16.99. Shipping costs $3.50. Total: $20.49

For KMS 5 pounds, they hay costs $7. Shipping costs $15.24. Total: $22.24

So really, there isn't much of a difference for me either. I guess I would just order whatever the piggies like better.

PhinniePig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for sharing @bnt1988 - I was thinking of ordering this and trying it out.. Phinneas didnt like the store bought timothy hay - he loves the oxbow orchard hay.. but it can get expensive.. i might buy some when I get him a buddy :)

bnt1988

Cavy Slave
A 9 pound box of KMS hay comes to $34.30 after shipping for me. This was 8 pounds and $24.99 with free shipping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.