Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Please help my cavys and me!

aeiou

Cavy Slave
*wood shavings

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Please, please, please take them to a vet. It doesn't matter if they don't have all the symptoms. Sometimes they have almost none. I bought my guinea pig Mufasa from a pet store before I knew any better. He ate, drank, and pooped like a trooper, but sneezed maybe once a day and always hay bits stuck to his nose like it had been wet, even though I never saw it runny. 15 days later he was dead.

Definitely make the pet store get the vet care if your parents won't pay for it. That's why they have guarantees. But even if that works out, I worry about the future if you're not old enough for a job or a way to put money aside for a vet fund. It's not right to have piggies as pets if you're not willing to get them medical care when they need it. It adds up fast...I spent around $1000 on my guinea pig Borat last year. They're not "just rodents." They're living beings who deserve the same care as other creatures.

Lucille

Cavy Slave
I've heard that sometimes its from their bedding? A friend of mine said her guinea pig had something exactly like these symptoms and its was just from his bedding, so they mixed in wood with their carefresh?
You've gotten good advice from many with years of experience. Each time it seems as if you have found some shred of evidence to minimize the possibility of serious illness. We cannot diagnose. If your friend is right, fine. If she is wrong, you may well find a dead pig in a day or two. Our critter's lives are in our hands.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
They can get sick from their bedding, they can get URI from cedar fumes but you are still dealing with the same illness no matter where they got it from.

madison45

Cavy Slave
You need to explain to your parents that it is very very important to take you guinea pigs to the vet I would isolate the the sick ones from the other one as well i had the same problem and form me it was to late he had a URI after further analysis from the vet and i do not want that to happen to you
hope i helped

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I am very very sorry I feel like I am coming off the wrong way. I really would love nothing more than to make a mad dash to the vet right now. I will try to convince my parents and I am looking for a vet. If I find one before I can convince my parents I will be calling them.

I do not mean to be trying to minimize the issue, its just my human nature not wanting it to be bad, you know? I really have felt like crying all day and I want nothing more than for this to not be serious.

My sincerest apologies

(and please understand that its my parents who think they're "just rodents" i wouldn't be on this site if I agreed)

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Oh and what are they supposed to weigh? they're about 6 mths old

madison45

Cavy Slave
that is what i was trying to say my parents thought they were just big rats and when i did convince them it was to late. for a 6 month old mine weighed about 3/4 of a pound because they are almost there full size
hoped this helped

Last edited:

aeiou

Cavy Slave
:) thanks ​madison45

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Sometimes bedding is an issue, but you cannot just assume that bedding is the problem. If you can, I would strongly recommend fleece bedding for its cost-effectiveness and ease of cleaning. That way, you don't have a risk of aggravating a pig's sensitive upper respiratory system.

Check out this link to see if the type of bedding that you are currently using is appropriate for your pigs: Bedding

I understand being worried about your pigs. When my pig Toni got sick, I cried. A lot. I hope that this post helps you out!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you cannot convince your parents to take your pigs to the vet, then you need to surrender them to someone else who will take them to the vet when they NEED to go to the vet.
Runny or crusty nose/eyes and sneezing are CLASSIC signs of URI. You said they are showing those symptoms and then you suddenly say they're not showing them. They showed the symptoms, they should be seen by a cavy savy vet.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
They are both sadly having runny noses and sneezing, one worse than the other. I have separated them from my other cavy. They are on fleece bedding right now. I cleaned off their noses and hopefully the running will stop, but I am going to take them to the vet soon.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
When you take these two to the vet, be sure to tell the vet about the third. He/she may want to treat all three, or may have you just monitor the third. It's so easy to spread from one to the next. Good luck, and hoping all are well soon.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
If I brought all three would i be charged for the three of them or just as one
sorry i've never been to a vet before (none of my pets have gotten sick before...)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Most pets should receive yearly vet visits. Especially senior animals. They'll likely charge you just the 1 visit and only charge additional for the medication per animal.

Roo99

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs, and in my experience, if I bring in both pigs but only one is treated, I'm only charged for the exam for the sick pig.

When both pigs are sick, I'm still only charged for one examination ($43 at my vet). Also, no matter what I recommend taking all pigs in your house to the vet if one is sick.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
If they were a recent purchase, return them and ask that they treat them. They should refund your money and ask if you want to repurchase them after. Give them your contact info so they can contact you. That way they won't euthanize them.

madison45

Cavy Slave
Sometimes bedding is an issue, but you cannot just assume that bedding is the problem. If you can, I would strongly recommend fleece bedding for its cost-effectiveness and ease of cleaning. That way, you don't have a risk of aggravating a pig's sensitive upper respiratory system.

Check out this link to see if the type of bedding that you are currently using is appropriate for your pigs: Bedding

I understand being worried about your pigs. When my pig Toni got sick, I cried. A lot. I hope that this post helps you out!

i agree with you fleece is clean and has no dust

aeiou

Cavy Slave
OK thats good.

However, I don't want this to sound like I want to minimize this, just an update on their condition. About an hour and a half ago, I washed off their noses and put them in a separate cage with fleece, and I have been checking on them every once and a while, and their noses are clean
What does this mean?

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I bought one on the 26th, and the other on the 28th

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.