Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Very hot out

Wheekloudly

Cavy Slave
My room can get about 76°F even with 2 fans blowing away. My parents don't turn on the A/C nor will they let me. I've put a ice pack in a towel in my pigs cage but she either tries to eat it or doesn't lay on it or so on. I can tell she's hot, she's been drinking lots of water and I put ice cubes in it to keep the water cold rather than warm. Some advice onto keeping her cool would be great.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason why they won't turn on the ac? I can't really say much sorry, my guinea pig doesn't lay on her ice pack either but it hasn't been that hot.

Wheekloudly

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason why they won't turn on the ac? I can't really say much sorry, my guinea pig doesn't lay on her ice pack either but it hasn't been that hot.
They want to "save money" so they don't turn on the A/C. It's a nice source, I love it but I wish they would turn it on so it would be easier on my pig

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are doing it with the ice water and mat. Maybe get a little fan going in there. It doesn't take the power that an a/c does. I have one in my living room and being tight on funds, I don't turn it on unless it is really warm. I just keep on top of the ice mat and ice water the best I can with the fan going in her direction.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one who doesn't see 76F as hot? Not even by a stretch. I would be quite happy to keep my house as cool as 76F! But then again, we have triple digit temps all summer, so if I can keep the house at about 83F, we're doing just fine. I don't even think about frozen bottles and cold tile for the piggies and other furries until it gets hotter than 83 in the house.

Our A/C went out last week and we had a few day where inside peaked at about 98F! I spent a couple days constantly rotating frozen bottles and frozen tile. (Did you know rats LOVE ice cubes!?)

Anyway, I don't think 76F is anything to worry about.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
@Artista, I love your piggy's avatar photo!! :D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
84F or 29C is the max temperature a pig can take before it's getting risky. Try a frozen tile or waterbottle, you can also place the iceblock on top of the hidey to keep it cool inside.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one who doesn't see 76F as hot? Not even by a stretch. I would be quite happy to keep my house as cool as 76F! But then again, we have triple digit temps all summer, so if I can keep the house at about 83F, we're doing just fine. I don't even think about frozen bottles and cold tile for the piggies and other furries until it gets hotter than 83 in the house.

Our A/C went out last week and we had a few day where inside peaked at about 98F! I spent a couple days constantly rotating frozen bottles and frozen tile. (Did you know rats LOVE ice cubes!?)

Anyway, I don't think 76F is anything to worry about.

I don't think 76F is too hot either. As long as their not in direct sunlight or something like that, they should be fine.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I keep my air on 80 or 81 during the day and 78 at night. The pigs get the frozen bottles on their cave/tents and have cold air drop on them. Sometimes when I feel its getting warm, I see them laying in the hay, not even under the tents. i can say, my grandson peed by bed the other day and the only clean sheet set I had was fleece or a flannel set, I put the fleece on and I was miserable all night. If you use fleece you may want to give them a cooler bedding to lay on. I also keep floor tiles in the cage for them and they do use them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.