Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage design ideas!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@Lovecavy13 I'm confused, you said the space between the two levels was big enough to crawl through? Couldn't your cats jump up and over then? Even if that wide space is high up, cats can jump extremely high.

Haha you don't have to like c&c cages, it's just the easiest option that's all, not that it's the only one. I also prefer the look of plexiglass. :)

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Also that is not the cage. That's the storage under the cage.... Yes I built that and it is technically part of the cage but no guinea pigs will go in there. Only there things

Ahhh okay. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I knew I must of missed something. That will be an awesome storage area!

Now that you've said you got him from a 10 year old girl, it all makes more sense. I'm understanding the scenario more now. That's good of you to notice that he apparently has issues with wire cages and getting his feet stuck, some piggies are just special that way and get their way into trouble no matter what. lol

I do agree that C&C cages may not look the nicest, so I can understand wanting to build something nicer looking.

As for kitties, as long as you have a lid, they won't be a bother really. Except for the fact they like to lay on the cages, which I'm sure as a prey animal, guineas don't appreciate having a large predator above them. And it's not like cats will listen to staying off :p

Good luck with your cage build!

As for some things to put in it, I personally like having bent grid tunnels covered in fleece, fleece tunnels (good for playing and sleeping), and plan to have some bricks with a piece of slate over it, with like a slate ramp, all aquarium siliconed together (where they can't eat it of course), unless someone says something bad about it to help file down their nails naturally and provide a cool spot to lay.

I also love fleece forests, as they are fun and take zero cage space.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Ahhh okay. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I knew I must of missed something. That will be an awesome storage area!

Now that you've said you got him from a 10 year old girl, it all makes more sense. I'm understanding the scenario more now. That's good of you to notice that he apparently has issues with wire cages and getting his feet stuck, some piggies are just special that way and get their way into trouble no matter what. lol

I do agree that C&C cages may not look the nicest, so I can understand wanting to build something nicer looking.

As for kitties, as long as you have a lid, they won't be a bother really. Except for the fact they like to lay on the cages, which I'm sure as a prey animal, guineas don't appreciate having a large predator above them. And it's not like cats will listen to staying off :p

Good luck with your cage build!

As for some things to put in it, I personally like having bent grid tunnels covered in fleece, fleece tunnels (good for playing and sleeping), and plan to have some bricks with a piece of slate over it, with like a slate ramp, all aquarium siliconed together (where they can't eat it of course), unless someone says something bad about it to help file down their nails naturally and provide a cool spot to lay.

I also love fleece forests, as they are fun and take zero cage space.

I honestly never really wanted a guinea pig I've always been a cat person xD (why I have three stray cats)

But the little girl I took him from was not taking care if him at all. She's a very very nice girl but she's 10 years old. She thought he was going to be like a part time pet. There only when she wanted to play with him. Cleaning the cage wasn't something she did often and he only ate hay (one handful a day). She didn't like the smell of the little piggy either so her parents kept him in the garage. He was all alone in his little petco cage.... I had to take him. But I'm not made of money so I've only been able to slowly get the things he needs. He now has hay 24/7 (in a hay rack, a ball, and a paper towel roll) he eats veggies every day and gets vitamin C. He has a huge pen (sadly made of C&C grids) that he runs around in all day long so he's not in his cage. The only time he's ever in the cage is if I'm not home or I'm sleeping. And he's doing much much better. But he still doesn't have a friend that lives here (my friends guinea pigs come over occasionally to run around in my yard, where a have a big pen that keeps them all safe, and he plays with them) and I'm building the cage now but it's slow and bit by bit.

Have you ever done something and then after the fact thought, "oh that would have been such a cool idea to put in there"

That's what I'm trying to avoid xD

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=33042]Lovecavy13[/MENTION] I'm confused, you said the space between the two levels was big enough to crawl through? Couldn't your cats jump up and over then? Even if that wide space is high up, cats can jump extremely high.

Haha you don't have to like c&c cages, it's just the easiest option that's all, not that it's the only one. I also prefer the look of plexiglass. :)

It is big enough to crawl threw but it's high enough up that it's ok to line with chicken wire. My little trouble maker can't get stuck up there. And it just looks much more well put together and I want to be proud of my cage :)

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I honestly never really wanted a guinea pig I've always been a cat person xD (why I have three stray cats)

But the little girl I took him from was not taking care if him at all. She's a very very nice girl but she's 10 years old. She thought he was going to be like a part time pet. There only when she wanted to play with him. Cleaning the cage wasn't something she did often and he only ate hay (one handful a day). She didn't like the smell of the little piggy either so her parents kept him in the garage. He was all alone in his little petco cage.... I had to take him. But I'm not made of money so I've only been able to slowly get the things he needs. He now has hay 24/7 (in a hay rack, a ball, and a paper towel roll) he eats veggies every day and gets vitamin C. He has a huge pen (sadly made of C&C grids) that he runs around in all day long so he's not in his cage. The only time he's ever in the cage is if I'm not home or I'm sleeping. And he's doing much much better. But he still doesn't have a friend that lives here (my friends guinea pigs come over occasionally to run around in my yard, where a have a big pen that keeps them all safe, and he plays with them) and I'm building the cage now but it's slow and bit by bit.

Have you ever done something and then after the fact thought, "oh that would have been such a cool idea to put in there"

That's what I'm trying to avoid xD

I'm a kitty and a guinea pig person! That's great of you to take in the three stray cats, and your poor little boy.

He is definitely very lucky that you rescued him from her, no offense of course, but at 10 years old, she just isn't old enough to be solely responsible for a companion animal. Nor should of her parents let her have a pet, and expect her to take care of him. Poor thing must of been so lonely, bored, hungry, and cold/hot. Not too mention, any fumes from chemicals in a garage. That just breaks my heart that they'd do that.

I bet he loves his new home!

Until you get him a friend, I'd schedule more piggy play dates for him! :)

I have in fact done something, and then wished I would of done something else. I built my cats some cat shelves, and after the 12+ hours spent making them/hanging them (staple gunning carpet to plywood, trying to find studs in the wall, cutting the carpet, hanging them without a level, etc.), I realized that I should of just made a cat tree, and used large cardboard tube tunnels for a lot of it. No giant holes in the wall, and I could move it anywhere. Oh well.

I would look in the alternative cage galleries for ideas. (broken link removed)
(broken link removed)'

For accessories ideas :)

(broken link removed)

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@Lovecavy13 and [MENTION=22050]dani_starr[/MENTION] It's actually not good to have "piggy play dates."

When one piggy meets another piggy they begin to try and figure out whose going to be "boss pig". This is pretty stressful on them and why we say when you introduce two piggies (after quarantine) it's a one time and done situation. If there is no blood shed, they stay together, no separating then putting them back together because every time they are put back together they have to re-figure out who is boss pig.

Last edited:

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I'm a kitty and a guinea pig person! That's great of you to take in the three stray cats, and your poor little boy.

He is definitely very lucky that you rescued him from her, no offense of course, but at 10 years old, she just isn't old enough to be solely responsible for a companion animal. Nor should of her parents let her have a pet, and expect her to take care of him. Poor thing must of been so lonely, bored, hungry, and cold/hot. Not too mention, any fumes from chemicals in a garage. That just breaks my heart that they'd do that.

I bet he loves his new home!

Until you get him a friend, I'd schedule more piggy play dates for him! :)

I have in fact done something, and then wished I would of done something else. I built my cats some cat shelves, and after the 12+ hours spent making them/hanging them (staple gunning carpet to plywood, trying to find studs in the wall, cutting the carpet, hanging them without a level, etc.), I realized that I should of just made a cat tree, and used large cardboard tube tunnels for a lot of it. No giant holes in the wall, and I could move it anywhere. Oh well.

I would look in the alternative cage galleries for ideas. (broken link removed)
(broken link removed)'

For accessories ideas :)

(broken link removed)

Thanks I'll take a look :)

And ya he's a really good little big until he finds something to drive me crazy with xD he's always getting himself into trouble.

The little girl who gave him to me is an extremely good kid but she's still to young to understand how to take care of an animal by herself. :/ she honestly doesn't even ask about the poor little guy. She just kinda forgot about him. I've had him for about a month now and he's completely healthy (according to a vet I saw)

Why not build both? Aha I constantly have crazy ideas and need someone to put me back in check. For example I had a dreM the other night that after I built the pig cage I also built a little ramp up to my ceiling where I had a giant little track that lead all the way around my room xD (like they do got ferrets)

I go a little over board xD even my beta fish are in aquariums larger and more extravagant then need by. That's just how I am xD

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=33042]Lovecavy13[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22050]dani_starr[/MENTION] It's actually not good to have "piggy play dates."

When one piggy meets another piggy they begin to try and figure out whose going to be "boss pig". This is pretty stressful on them and why we say when you introduce two piggies (after quarantine) it's a one time and done situation. If there is no blood shed, they stay together, no separating then putting them back together.

The Guinean pig that comes over lives in the apartment bellow mine. They are literally together all the time except when me and my friend are in school or sleeping. They don't seem to mind at all at least and it's only until the cage is done and I have room for another

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
The Guinean pig that comes over lives in the apartment bellow mine. They are literally together all the time except when me and my friend are in school or sleeping. They don't seem to mind at all at least and it's only until the cage is done and I have room for another

Guinea ** sorry auto correct

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Oh I thought it was a lot less often they saw each other, that's great that he has a piggy friend so close that he spends a lot of time with! :D

Sounds like a 10 year old, that's for sure. Moving on to the next "fad, and forgetting all about what (in this case, who) she loved before." Not her fault of course, she's just too young for that kind of commitment.

That is way amazing that you have your bettas housed in large, extravagant aquariums! I just can't stand to see them in little tiny bowls, not heater or filter. Mine have always been in 5-10 gallon, silk or live planted tanks, so it makes me happy to hear of someone else who has the same idea :)

That would be an amazing guinea pig cage for sure! I wanted to build a 1 grid wide piggy walkway going along 3 walls, with 3 2x4 C&C cages, and 2 2x2 C&C cages connected to it, but my boyfriend said that in a studio or one bedroom apartment, he's drawing the line to that... lol One day :rolleyes:

Along with cat shelves that go all around the room too.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Oh I thought it was a lot less often they saw each other, that's great that he has a piggy friend so close that he spends a lot of time with! :D

Sounds like a 10 year old, that's for sure. Moving on to the next "fad, and forgetting all about what (in this case, who) she loved before." Not her fault of course, she's just too young for that kind of commitment.

That is way amazing that you have your bettas housed in large, extravagant aquariums! I just can't stand to see them in little tiny bowls, not heater or filter. Mine have always been in 5-10 gallon, silk or live planted tanks, so it makes me happy to hear of someone else who has the same idea :)

That would be an amazing guinea pig cage for sure! I wanted to build a 1 grid wide piggy walkway going along 3 walls, with 3 2x4 C&C cages, and 2 2x2 C&C cages connected to it, but my boyfriend said that in a studio or one bedroom apartment, he's drawing the line to that... lol One day :rolleyes:

Along with cat shelves that go all around the room too.

Lol my beta are in a 10 gal with a few other fish that he hadn't had a problem with so far xD I have all live plants in my tanks

You should build the walk way anyway that sounds amazing

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I bet your tank looks great! What other fish do you have in there? :)

As for another awesome guinea pig decor idea, I would definitely do bunk beds!(broken link removed)
Is there anything cuter than that?!

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I bet your tank looks great! What other fish do you have in there? :)

As for another awesome guinea pig decor idea, I would definitely do bunk beds!(broken link removed)
Is there anything cuter than that?!

In the beta tank I have a pale beta fish named peach, a ghost shrimp named Casper, a cleaner fish named Pepper.

In my 20 gal tank I have nemos

And that is really cute! :3

I'm thinking of doing steps under the ramp instead on a hay compartment. I'm also gonna have PVC piping from one side up to the second floor. That gives my pigs 3 different ways to get up there. Since some pigs just won't use ramps xD

It he bunk beds seem cute for like the second floor xD the first mostly gonna be a play area while the second more like sleep wise. Both with have a "kitchen" area and hides but the bottoms gonna be more empty and toys and puzzles while the top will have the fleece hides and stuff like that

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

It doesn't matter if the other pig(s) live under you or not if both pigs are not going to live permanently together play dates are not reccamended. As she said above every time a pig meets another they start trying to figure out who will be the boss pig. Putting them together then seperating then putting them together and separating over and over again is really stressful and confusing for them. Honestly I wouldn't do anymore play dates. It doesn't matter if its for a couple hours or a few minutes play dates are not good for guinea pigs. And its not helpful and the pigs can't tell you if its okay or not they may not show signs if its bad or not. You can't put human emotions on an animal.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter if the other pig(s) live under you or not if both pigs are not going to live permanently together play dates are not reccamended. As she said above every time a pig meets another they start trying to figure out who will be the boss pig. Putting them together then seperating then putting them together and separating over and over again is really stressful and confusing for them. Honestly I wouldn't do anymore play dates. It doesn't matter if its for a couple hours or a few minutes play dates are not good for guinea pigs.

Not to be rude but where exactly are you getting your information from. My pig gets excited and popcorns everywhere when the other pig comes in. And the other guinea pig purrs. They never bicker or fight. If I just stopped putting them together both pigs would probably get upset. I love my little guy and until I have the cage done (because there's no way I'm putting them both into that tiny little cage) he needs to be around other guinea pigs.

Not only that but I know a lot if other people that have guinea pigs in separate cages because they don't get along together all day (or are opposite genders) but when they bring them outside and they all get along perfectly well.

Plus I approved it by my vet. (She is exotically trained) she said it was fine..

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter if the other pig(s) live under you or not if both pigs are not going to live permanently together play dates are not reccamended. As she said above every time a pig meets another they start trying to figure out who will be the boss pig. Putting them together then seperating then putting them together and separating over and over again is really stressful and confusing for them. Honestly I wouldn't do anymore play dates. It doesn't matter if its for a couple hours or a few minutes play dates are not good for guinea pigs. And its not helpful and the pigs can't tell you if its okay or not they may not show signs if its bad or not. You can't put human emotions on an animal.

Oh wow thank you for saying that! I had no idea that they were a bad idea. That would make sense though, that they are trying to establish who is dominant each time. I just foolishly figured that it was good for him to interaction with another guinea pig, similar to how people bring their dogs to dog parks to play with other dogs. Sorry lovecavey for giving you bad information! Oops! :eek:hmy:

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@LuvCavysLuvCats said the exact same thing that I'm telling you play dates are not helpful the only time pigs should be together is if your going to introduce them. Each time you put them together they go through dominance and separating over and over again is stressful on them. They are not going to show signs of it being harmful or stressful. Yes they may purr and act excited to see each other and they will act fine but it's not. Introductions should be a one time and done deal. All over this forum you will see many people say play dates are not reccamended.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=30011]LuvCavysLuvCats[/MENTION] said the exact same thing that I'm telling you play dates are not helpful the only time pigs should be together is if your going to introduce them. Each time you put them together they go through dominance and separating over and over again is stressful on them. They are not going to show signs of it being harmful or stressful. Yes they may purr and act excited to see each other and they will act fine but it's not. Introductions should be a one time and done deal. All over this forum you will see many people say play dates are not reccamended.

All right I'll stop them. I just hope my little guy doesn't get depressed or something :/

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@Lovecavy13 Popcoring doesn't necessarily mean happy, it means an excited emotion. That can mean happy, mad or stressed. The "purring" you were hearing was probably rumble strutting, it's a dominance dance.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=33042]Lovecavy13[/MENTION] Popcoring doesn't necessarily mean happy, it means an excited emotion. That can mean happy, mad or stressed. The "purring" you were hearing was probably rumble strutting, it's a dominance dance.

The purring I'm sure wasn't rumble strutting. I've seen the difference and can confidently say it was just purring. I didn't however know about the popcorning. I thought it was just happy.

No more play dates. What should I do if my little guy starts to act funny because he doesn't have guinea pig interaction anymore?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.