Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How many bowls per cage for two piggies?

TheGirlWhoLived

Cavy Gazer
Just curious. Do you need two pellet bowls and two veggie bowls (4 total) for two pigs or just one for pellets and one for veggies or some other combination? If only one bowl, how do you make sure that one pig isn't eating more than his/her fair share?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I always made sure I had one of everything per piggy to avoid squabbles. I had two piggies, so two hideys or more, two hay piles, two water bottles, etc. As for one piggy eating more than another, mine just kind of self regulated and I really didn't worry too much about it.

TheGirlWhoLived

Cavy Gazer
So four bowls total for two piggies?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No no, one of everything per pig. So two piggies means two of everything

Tam Piggy love

Cavy Slave
Each piggy should have his own of everything. Especially if you have boars! And you really can't regulate how much each one eats unless you actually put the food in the bowls and stand there watching to see who eats what. I wouldn't worry about that, just put food in all the bowls and they manage to get what they need.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think it depends on your pigs. If they get along well, you can get by with one of everything except water bottles. You always need at least two in case one drains dry or gets clogged.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
For my three girls I have four hideys, two food dishes, and two water bottles. It seems to work fine. I don't usually give them their veggies in bowls, I put them on top of the hideys or just on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
For my three girls I have four hideys, two food dishes, and two water bottles. It seems to work fine. I don't usually give them their veggies in bowls, I put them on top of the hideys or just on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I do, food is on a pile of hay and I have two wide pellet bowels and 3 working water bottles.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
I never thought about that. They squabble over the water bottle sometimes but otherwise are fine. We do have multiple hideys though.

Frode789

Cavy Slave
I have lots of hideys, 2 bottles and 2 bowls for 3 pigs. Before when I had 2 pigs I had 1 of each (bottle/bowl) and there was never any problem with that. But it might depend on your pigs.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
I have lots of hideys, 2 bottles and 2 bowls for 3 pigs. Before when I had 2 pigs I had 1 of each (bottle/bowl) and there was never any problem with that. But it might depend on your pigs.

I was actually thinking about a second water bottle recently. I was holding off because one causes so much of a mess lol. Do they even make water bottles that don't drip every time someone walks across the floor?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Water bottles shouldn't drip. Make sure the washer is well-seated in the lid -- that will go a long way toward keeping it from dripping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.