Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Strange Peeling Fur/Skin?

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
One of my boys has had this strange issue for a while where strange white stuff would appear on his butt. It would eventually go away on its own, so I didn't think much of it. Today I was grooming him and saw the strange white stuff was coming back. The brush did little to nothing, so I curiously tugged a little on the white stuff. Immediately, some of the white came off with a clump of fur sticking out of it, and I realized it was old skin or something? (I'll take a picture if it shows up again.) I'm not too worried, as its very minimal on his butt, he barely pays attention to it, and his brothers don't have it, I'm just curious what it is. The patches of white easily come off along with whatever fur is on it.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
That sounds like boar glue to me. I've only had to deal with it once or twice and it came off on its own, so I don't think it's a big deal. @bpatters may have more info?

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
I do think he's had that before now that I see it, but I'm not sure if that's what it is now xD It was like giant patches of dandruff on his bum.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where exactly was it?

Guinea pigs have a grease glad just above where their tails would be if they had tails. Sometimes the gland can get a fungus infection and have white gunk on it. In that case, wash the gland with a drop of Dawn dish detergent, rinse well, and apply an antifungal cream. They're available at any pharmacy -- Lotrimin, Monistat, Nystatin.

If it's not on the grease gland, it may be boar glue. It's incredibly hard once it's dried, and can easily pull the hair out if you tug on it. Best to leave it to the pig to get off.

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
Oops, I forgot to reply to this earlier on Dx Anyway, after about a month, I think it was likely boar glue. It was on his bum, about where a tail would be, but I haven't seen any sign of it since I posted this thread. He's also the omega of his trio and I only ever see the white gunk on him when they really feel like dominating him, so not seeing it makes sense as they've been very peaceful lately. However, if I ever see it again, I'll be sure to take a picture and put it on here :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.