Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? A friend for Henry? (question about a long haired breed and buying from Craigslist)

mj702002

Cavy Slave
Now that my daughter has fallen in love with the little guy-Henry...will be moving him into his own accommodations this weekend...In the meantime I have been looking around to see if I could find a buddy for him....I live too far from shelters, have tried several that are within a few hours of me...I did find someone somewhat near me that has an ad on craigslist for young ones - texals. Now, I have had long haired dogs in the past--and they are a lot of work, or regular work to keep them mat-free. I have zero experience outside of these past few months with guinea pigs (I have always had larger critters-cats dogs and horses) -- the lady selling the texal babies says "they aren't that much work at all, just brush him once a week and he will be fine"--Is that true??

Next question...My thoughts are to find another young one...have read the boars don't always get along? I am in hopes that if I were to find a young male and they "grow up" together they just might be buddies. The one I am going to look at is supposed to be 6 weeks...so about 3 weeks older than Henry...if all went well and I get this texal introduce them in a few weeks...they would be about 5 and 8 weeks by then...but also having been living by themselves for a few weeks. Any thoughts there I would love to hear!!!

I 'fear' craigslist, but at the same time she might be a nice/descent person with nice guinea pigs...so I am planning on going to see the pup she has over the weekend.
Thanks so Much!!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Now that my daughter has fallen in love with the little guy-Henry...will be moving him into his own accommodations this weekend...In the meantime I have been looking around to see if I could find a buddy for him....I live too far from shelters, have tried several that are within a few hours of me...I did find someone somewhat near me that has an ad on craigslist for young ones - texals. Now, I have had long haired dogs in the past--and they are a lot of work, or regular work to keep them mat-free. I have zero experience outside of these past few months with guinea pigs (I have always had larger critters-cats dogs and horses) -- the lady selling the texal babies says "they aren't that much work at all, just brush him once a week and he will be fine"--Is that true??

Next question...My thoughts are to find another young one...have read the boars don't always get along? I am in hopes that if I were to find a young male and they "grow up" together they just might be buddies. The one I am going to look at is supposed to be 6 weeks...so about 3 weeks older than Henry...if all went well and I get this texal introduce them in a few weeks...they would be about 5 and 8 weeks by then...but also having been living by themselves for a few weeks. Any thoughts there I would love to hear!!!

I 'fear' craigslist, but at the same time she might be a nice/descent person with nice guinea pigs...so I am planning on going to see the pup she has over the weekend.
Thanks so Much!!!!

I've had three texels and resorted to cutting their hair short to keep them tidy. Personally, I wouldn't get another texel due to the amount of grooming they needed. Short haired ones are a lot easier to care for.

mj702002

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] -- I had a feeling they would be similar to other long-haired critters!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I don't have any experience with texels, but pinky got that covered.

It's at myth that male pigs don't get along. They most definitely can, with enough space and when properly introduced. Why are you scared of craigslist? The only problem I would have (as of now) would be the owners saying stuff about the pig that isn't true, such as age or whether it's been bred or not. They also wouldn't have the credibility that the pig doesn't have some sort of disease, but there are some cases where shelters or rescues don't either. That's why you quarantine, to make sure the pig is healthy and won't pass anything to the current pig.

Good luck!

mj702002

Cavy Slave
@PeanutnCookie Thank You so very much for that!! It makes me feel much better. I have been trolling through the pics of cage designs, trying to decide what I am going to do! Right now all (2 adults, and the 2 pups) are in a 3x4 --and man it looks tiny when they all cut loose playing!

mj702002

Cavy Slave
Thank You [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] I am undecided at this point...unfortunately I am kind of limited with where I could go (outside of a petsmart/co) as far as finding a different breed...If we do decide on that one I will surely be letting you guys know and asking for grooming tips!!

mj702002

Cavy Slave
I do have another question...being Henry is going to be just 3 wks old...and In looking to find him a friend rather quickly so he doesn't have to live alone for too long -- I have been limiting my searching to very young males. What is your experience with older males and young males ...as far as moving in with a young pup? That is where some of the Craigslist ads...are for multiples or they are older..and some state that the guinea pig doesn't like other guinea pigs...so as of this week, the Texal is the only one within an hour or so of where I live that is a single young male.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've owned most breeds with the exception of skinnies. Personally, I think Americans are the easiest to care for. I've owned a lot of teddies and I love them but they're prone to skin disorders due to their dense fur. My Americans have been the healthiest and of all the breeds I've owned. The fur on their back end stays clean because it's so short.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I have a long haired Abyssinian pig and I have to give him regular butt cuts and completely cut it all off in the summer. I brush him about once a week or more. More regular baths too as otherwise the fur can get greasy and tangle easier. So it is a bit more work but I think he looks beautiful and is such a joy to own. The best thing that you could do is ask if you can trial the pig for a few days or at least one introduction just to make sure they won't fight, and if they do you can return him. I have heard that young males are more likely to get along than adults, but it can all change once they go through puberty and their testosterone boosts up. The thing that will prevent any fighting the most is for sure a large cage. The bigger the better. This is a really informative link to aid for when you introduce them https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My first two guinea pigs were American short hair/Abby mixes. Both had long skirts that needed to be regularly trimmed, and the one with the most Abby hair had to be trimmed all over occasionally.

But I've got three now that never need anything trimmed. I've got two with duck butts, where the hair turns up in the rear like a duck's tail. The other is an American short hair, but her hair never grows. I sure don't miss trying to trim them -- the first two screamed like there was a nerve in every hair when I was cutting it.

mj702002

Cavy Slave
It has been a whirlwind week, getting Henry's home made....And my vet came through!! She knew of some young males around 8 weeks old, and an older one-6 months old...So we made a trip today to meet them....poor little Henry got mauled by the young ones (and checked out to make sure I was right about him being a he)...and it was the older one that was laid back and even did his best to keep they young ones off of Henry. And then we took Henry and the older male and gave them some one on one time, and they just hung out and he groomed Henry...So he is on trial to see if things will continue to go well!

mj702002

Cavy Slave
He has been here for only a few days and all is well, he seems like he is so appreciative of having his own space and does really seem to love Henry already.
He needs a name yet...so sorry for calling him "he" I was afraid to- for fear he wouldn't work out with Henry.

So-- How long should I give it before I say it IS working out and they are getting along and HE is here to stay?

I am already going to have to expand the cage...I had originally thought Henry's new friend would be more close in age to Henry and built a 2x3 with a 1x3 loft thinking that would be more than enough room for two very young pigs, with plans of expanding sometime in the future. It is way too small for an 'adult' sized pig and a pup...for now I made a temporary "corral" for them to get out in (3' x 5').

I will guess with what limited history I know of the big guy...he may not have had salads on a regular basis if at all...he hasn't dove in like Henry does...the vet says she has checked him out and he is healthy...but during this transition should I worry about the Vit.C... they have the hays, and Oxbow-young- alfalfa pellets...along with a salad-but he is only eating on the lettuces.

Well...here they are...
Henry and friend fb.jpg

mj702002

Cavy Slave
I couldn't edit the last post...I have him for a 2 week trial...vet had said I should know within a week.

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
Once the new pig settles in, he'll eat whatever veggies you give Henry because piggies can't just sit there when their buddy has a tasty treat! My two pigs refused to touch veggies for months until I got my 3rd. They watched her munch down some peppers and then wrestled her for the next days' veggies.

mj702002

Cavy Slave
Just to update...within a few days after my last post the big guy was trying everything in the salad...and he and Henry are still getting along just fine! (Looks like he is staying...so need a name for the 'big guy' :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
They both are adorable! I'm glad that worked out. Do you want suggestions for names? Do you have a particular theme you want or just anything in general?

mj702002

Cavy Slave
@PeanutnCookie Thank You. I was afraid to get attached if it didn't work out!! I think I was in love with him by day 2--he is the sweetest, most laid back piggie! About a name...I'm kinda leaning towards a 'people' name (Pete...it would be Pete and Henry)--he just looks like that's what he needs...all the others have 'candy names'...Skittles (the hamster), Snickers, Reeses, and Ohh Henry...then Henry's sister--the little girl next door said to call her Starburst(didn't name her either, because we weren't going to keep the babies...well she is here to stay too :)).

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new member of the family...

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@mj702002 Pete is cute! I never have a theme for my pet's names, but my pigs are named after food (Cookie and S'mores). My hamsters have had wildly random names, Paws, PJ, and Benji, but I love your candy names.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Chock is called chock because his back is chocolate coloured
Not very good i know but that's his name...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.