Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What is the best kitchen bedding?

NymphadoraTonks

Cavy Slave
Right now I am using yesterday's news in my girls kitchen, but I'm not too fond of it. When the water bottle drops, it creates a huge mushy disgusting mess! I wanna know what the absolute best bedding for the kitchen area is

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
The BEST idea I've found is to put a flat rock under the waterbottle to catch the drips. The rock soaks up the water and air dries as it goes.

I also recently started using Yesterday's News in my small hay bin/kitchen and I get mushy spots too (my Randy always pees in the same corner). I've been putting in a few layers of newspaper before the litter and it makes it easier to clean - just lift out the paper and the litter and toss.

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I've been using wood pellets and they're working pretty good. When they get wet the turn to saw dust which is pretty easy to scoop up. And as a bonus they don't cost much. A 40lb bag is $6 at Tractor Supply.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I swear by Fresh News for cats. It's easy to tell if areas are still clean so you can reuse a lot of it when you clean the cage.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I swear by Fresh News for cats. It's easy to tell if areas are still clean so you can reuse a lot of it when you clean the cage.
[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] how often do you spot clean the mushy spots? Do you just scoop them out? Leave the poops? How often do you completely change all the litter? It seems I can go at least a week and it doesn't get stinky (that is just for one 5-month-old pig Randy, who is temporarily housed alone). I was pleasantly surprised!

pinky

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] how often do you spot clean the mushy spots? Do you just scoop them out? Leave the poops? How often do you completely change all the litter? It seems I can go at least a week and it doesn't get stinky (that is just for one 5-month-old pig Randy, who is temporarily housed alone). I was pleasantly surprised!

Each of my cages has about a 2x2 grid section with Fresh News and 3x2 with fleece. My lone pig doesn't poop at all on the fleece side. I clean out the bedding side in her cage once a week. I can reuse about 1/4 of it. She's a big pig and poops a lot more than my others. My trio poops a bit on the fleece but not a lot. I can reuse a lot more of the fresh news in their cage when I change it once a week. I'd say I'm probably able to reuse 1/2 of it. The bedding pellets expand when it gets wet so it's really easy to see what's still fresh. It doesn't clump up like Carefresh does. I prefer the fresh news for cats better than the one for small pets. Sometimes I go longer than a week in the cage with 3 guinea pigs.

Lyndseyjo3

Cavy Slave
I've been using wood pellets and they're working pretty good. When they get wet the turn to saw dust which is pretty easy to scoop up. And as a bonus they don't cost much. A 40lb bag is $6 at Tractor Supply.

Do you put any thing over the pellets like the fleece or just pellets?

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I just put the wood pellets in my kitchen areas. I have fleece flippers in the rest of my cage. I've used wood pellets and yesterday's news. The wood pellets are the best in controlling odor.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
Thank you! :) So appreciated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.