Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Carbon - Zipping around the cage only to find an odd cut on her back?

Veronica

Cavy Slave
Tonight at 7:20 ish Carbon started acting very weird. She was zipping around the cage like crazy, running laps and jumping on pigloo and over her piggie sisters. After about five minutes I got in and had a good look at her and there was a milky substance matting her hair down and apart on her back. Once I got a flashlight and really looked it looks as if she bit herself so much that she cause a cut. Up until now she's been perfectly fine (I do remember an odd scab/bump in that location on her back months ago but it disappeared after a week - I believe she was scratched by a new piggie I introduced then separateld from her) the past few days she's been just like she normally has been. She's ate her veggies, her hay, and her pellets. She's been drinking water and playing with the other girls. Ten to fifteen minutes ago is when this all started and I don't know what to do. I've cleaned her up the best I could without hurting her anymore than she seems to be. She's now just laying in my lap, still very alert and moving. I plan on calling my vet tomorrow morning when they open at 8 and trying to get her in as soon as possible. Any help or advice or even just to help me know what's happening would be greatly appreciated. I added photos of the wound, they're not too great but I tried. The last is after I cleaned her.

Attachments

IMG_5840.jpg IMG_5841.jpg IMG_5855.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a very odd place for a pig to bite on its own body. Is there another pig in the cage?

Also, the milky substance is very unlikely to come from a bite. Is it thick, with a strong odor? If so, it's pus, and the previous bite could have abscessed, then ruptured.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are you sure the other pig is a female? It looks like wet boar glue to me.

Veronica

Cavy Slave
Are you sure the other pig is a female? It looks like wet boar glue to me.
Ive checked her, and had her checked, many times. I've been told she is a female and she appears to be female.

Veronica

Cavy Slave
That's a very odd place for a pig to bite on its own body. Is there another pig in the cage?

Also, the milky substance is very unlikely to come from a bite. Is it thick, with a strong odor? If so, it's pus, and the previous bite could have abscessed, then ruptured.
It wasn't thick but it also wasn't runny, I also didn't smell anything

lissie

Cavy Slave
Does she have any lump in that area?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did the white milky stuff dry really hard and sticky? Or stay wet and (fairly) easy to wipe off?

Veronica

Cavy Slave
Did the white milky stuff dry really hard and sticky? Or stay wet and (fairly) easy to wipe off?
It seemed to stay wet and was pretty easy to get off with a little water

lissie

Cavy Slave
It seemed to stay wet and was pretty easy to get off with a little water
Then it's probably not boar glue. It could be an abscess that burst.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.