Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all! Introducing my pig, Bubbles.

effervescent

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I'm excited to join here. My guinea pig, Bubbles, is an eight year old female shorthair who's doing quite well in her old age, despite having lost her friend in April. This is a concern for me; she has always been shy around people but seems much more willing to have humans around now that she has lost her buddy. Sadly, I cannot find any fellow elderly pigs to adopt around me through my casual searching.

I've had Bubbles her entire life. She is on fleece in an L shaped cage, 3 x 4 with a 1x2 section off the side. As I said, she's rather shy but very vocal, and is very sweet to children and puts up with my dogs, who seem to be rather confused by her. She is the oldest pet in the household, so I'm a bit worried for her, but she seems to be doing alright.

Thanks all!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the family, [MENTION=40332]effervescent[/MENTION]. And welcome to Bubbles! It's so wonderful that your girl is 8 years old!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Aww, what a sweet old girl. I hope you're giving her lots of attention so she isn't too lonely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zofia

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm sorry for your loss in April :( but it's great that your other piggie is still alive and well. I'd think about getting younger pigs, or not get any more at all. This way, it won't just be a continuous circle of one piggie dying, getting another, and another and another. Of course that's just my opinion, piggies pretty much do best with at least another 99.99% of the time.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I can respect your predicament. I think your choice here has to be if you want more piggies. If so, a younger friend may be the way to go as [MENTION=40247]Zofia[/MENTION] said. Or, it sounds like you are such a concerned and loving piggie parent that you probably give her an incredible amount of time and attention, especially now.
So much love to you and Bubbles! I am so sorry for your loss and very happy to have you join us, welcome to the forum.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! I'm sorry for your lost little friend earlier this year, but wow! 8 years old for Bubbles! That's amazing. You're obviously very devoted.

I honestly can't say for certainty about a new friend. of course my gut goes 'Yes' she needs a buddy' and an older pig is usually more readily accepting of a young companion. By young, I do mean a juvenile, tbh, though finding a non adult pig to adopt may be more difficult.

Nobody knows Bubbles better than you do. You can only do what you feel is best for her.

effervescent

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all the kind words, everybody! I do want her to have some friends, and I've been paying special attention to her recently although there was a short period after some serious surgery for me that she had to be cared for by others due to my inability to do so fully. My only concern with getting a younger pig is that I am entering graduate school soon and unsure of what will happen after that. I know it sounds awful when I put it that way, but I don't know if I will be able to care for a new pig for the full extent of their lifespan if they are very young, and I want to provide the best possible situation, of course! I feel fostering may be too much stress for her given her age, so I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. If anyone has any ideas, that would be lovely. You are all certainly correct in that I don't want to enter an endless cycle with my pigs, it wouldn't be fair to them. This has become a more recent concern given that I was worried for a while that Bubbles would pass out of loneliness soon after Sugar's death, and what with the surgery and all. Again, any ideas are welcome.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
@effervescent if you're just about to enter grad school and are unsure of your ability to provide both the time and possibly future commitment to youngun's, love, I wouldn't feel bad about not getting another pig.
Yes, Bubbles is going to be sad and lonely. But one rule of pets is that you only take on what you *think* you can provide for in the coming future. If you have uncertainty, you likely are feeling that you don't want to bring another piggie into this period of transition, and that is important for you to recognize.

We put our animals needs first much of the time and that is important, but on this one, you need to put your needs first and I think your gut is telling you, "not right now."

So much love throughout this decision.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.