Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Just your general newbie worries...

Leah00

Cavy Slave
So my two new piggy girls are in their new home now. You can read all about where I got them on my "I got the call" post.

I'm a little worried that maybe the move and new cage was a bit too much for them. I knew that they would be scared and nervous but they haven't even moved. I put them in the little kitchen area that I made (since I figured they might like the feel of the bedding over the fleece right now) and they have not moved since. I thought they'd feel more comfortable last night after we went to bed but I got up this morning and they are still hunkered down in the kitchen.
It doesn't look like anyone's touched the pellets or hay and I know they didn't leave the kitchen for water.
I'm starting to worry. I knew they wouldn't immediately start running and popcorning around but this wide eyed frozen fear is freaking me out.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I'd try covering the top of the cage in fleece, just the back half and maybe a little of each end to make them feel safe, spread yummy veggies around to entice them to come out. Eventually you can move the fleece to cover less of the cage and then remove it entirely when they feel safe.

When I fostered Winnie I started off by completely covering the top of her cage in fleece (she was pregnant and terrified) and over time I was able to open up more of the cage and now she lives in an open 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. She still prefers sleeping under steep stools but she happily potters around in the cage now.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You're new pigs are adorable! I agree that you should try covering some of the cage. They would feel safer under a "roof" and not as exposed and vulnerable.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
I covered them. I've been peeking in there every so often and they are moving around a little bit now. I wish I could tell that they're eating and drinking.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You could try making a mark on the water bottle of where the water is when you filled it, and check to see if it's gone down. As long as the water bottle doesn't just leak, you should be able to monitor their drinking. For food, measure the pellets and then measure them again later to see how many have been eaten.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you found a solution to get them to move around. You may only be able to tell if the hay and pellet levels go down. Have you tried leaving some veggies in there? Those usually disappear first and you can put them in wet so they get some water. Once you are sure they are eating I also suggest sitting by the cage and talking to them so they get used to you and your voice. Then you can progress to trying to hand feed them veggies. They are adorable, good luck!

Leah00

Cavy Slave
I'm sitting in here now and talking to them. They are moving but very scared still. They kind of crawl a little and then freeze for a couple minutes.

I haven't tried any veggies yet because I doubt they ever had any and I didn't want to waste them when they're too scared to even try them.
But I'll try if you guys think it will help!

Any ideas on what I should try first? Something particularly yummy to temp them?

Leah00

Cavy Slave
At least they're moving a little.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
THE LITTLE ONE IS EATING HAY!!

Also, sorry my pictures are sideways. I'm on my phone and I don't know what the deal is.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Yay for hay! : )

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Try green or red leaf lettuce. It's a daily veggie staple.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
They have both nibbled on some pellets now. :) I just wish they would drink! I'm concerned because I felt like the water bottle was up too high because of the 6 in sides on the base. I put a paving brick under it but I keep thinking what if they're too scared to walk on the brick??

I think the little one is the braver of the two. She just ate a little bit then walked to the other side and groomed herself some and then stretched real big, yawned, and laid down.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm glad they seem like they're getting more comfortable now. Maybe try removing the brick and putting the water bottle closer to where they're staying. I don't think guinea pigs really drink that much water anyway, so it might be nothing to worry about.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
Ok, I'm trying not to pick favorites but the little one keeps yawning
and stretching and it's adorable!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Aww yay! You could try a baby carrot or two, most pigs go nuts for them. :)

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
That's great that they are more happy and eating.
it took mine a week to touch their pellets but now I fill the cup twice a day as they eat so much.
They are so cute.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
Try not to worry too much. Every time I've brought a new pig home, it was a while before they started eating a lot. It always freaks me out, and of course you should always be wary for signs that they're sick, but in my experience it's usually just fear. They'll keep getting comfortable.

I'm glad to hear that it freaks you out too. Lol. I knew that they'd probably be scared but experiencing it still worries me. My husband keeps teasing me because I told him that we needed the big cage because they needed room to run around and popcorn... Everytime he comes in the room he says "they sure are having fun in there" because they barely move. He thinks he's very funny... Haha.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
When I first got my two they did the exact same thing. It really freaked me out, especially the not drinking water thing. Then a few weeks after they settled I realized one of them was male and switched him to a separate cage and he stopped drinking again for almost a week. Then after his surgery when he'd recovered and I moved him back to the main cage lo and behold he stopped drinking again! I don't know if he just has a hard time finding the water bottle in new places or if that's just how some guinea pigs react to stress. Each time I moistened his viggies a little and it seemed to be enough to keep him going until he started using the bottle again. Good luck with your piggies, I'm sure they'll be running around and popcorning all over the place in no time.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
They are much more active today! The water level has gone down on the water bottle too so that's great.

I'm home for my lunch break and just sitting here watching them. The cream colored one is making little noises. They've also had a couple of little skirmishes.

Leah00

Cavy Slave
In a day or two I'll do a post formally introducing them with more pictures. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.