Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay what kind of hay?

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I get my hay from my Grandpa sooooo he grows it super fresh!

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
How long does hay take to grow?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I couldn't agree more!!! I found grasshoppers in the Kaytee brand, they were all flattened and I found at least 3 of them. I buy oxbow now and my pig loves it.
A few insects isn't an indication of a hay's quality - it grows in a field and is cut and baled up right there. It's a bit of a wonder we don't find MORE things in it. I remember a person once posting they found a deer leg in a bale.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I remeber somebody posting on Wordpress off of this forum and making a fake photo of a girl and her dad.The girl was holding a (fake) deer leg and her GP.Her dad was holding a bag of Kaytee brand pellets,instead of hay.

How would THAT even get in THERE?

rdoye225

Cavy Slave
So Kaytee brand is not good. I have timothy hay from them and it is nice and Green and smell really fresh I got it at walmart. Right that is all I can get the petsmart is opening soon, but I dont know where and the mom and pop store by me the hay does not look to good. I could go to baton rouge but it is about a 1 hour drive and with my husband working nites It is hard to do. I cant drive. Next month I am going to order some off line.

Kellyvs1013

Cavy Slave
Ya,I am totallly going with Oxbow! Can you buy that at Petsmart,or Petco?

Yes! They even have different "flavors" like western and botanical. They even smell better and don't come with those long hard pieces my pigs don't eat.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
My dad bought them Kaytee timothy hay because it was the cheapest.I checked it over and so far,Ionly found hay and wheat. It smells good and is pretty green.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
A few insects isn't an indication of a hay's quality - it grows in a field and is cut and baled up right there. It's a bit of a wonder we don't find MORE things in it. I remember a person once posting they found a deer leg in a bale.

Ugh, one time I was swathing with a friend for a summer and we ran over a deer with the swather and the swather only goes max 5 mph on the field, we were both traumatized (we were cutting Alfalfa). So it totally does happen. In that tall grass you really can't see anything. :-(

As to timothy hay you can always order online too. You don't have to go with Petsmart or Petco and if you don't have any great feed stores in the area either ordering might be your best option in the future.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I order my hay from Small Pet Select Timothy Hay Piggies LOVE it, good prices and takes the hassle out of finding decent fresh hay at the store. Owners are great too if you have any questions or concerns.

threewellsee

Cavy Slave
I get my timothy hay from Small Pet Select too. It's lovely. Soft and green. It takes 6 days for 8 lbs to reach me in NC. My pigs go crazy for that hay. I recommend it, if you get a chance to order hay online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.