Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Pedro's Lump

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Now I am wondering where in the world I got the notion about "wet suit material" being used. I know I read it somewhere, but don't remember where.

Well now every time I hear about an e-collar for g-pigs, Im going to think about a scuba diving guinea pig LOL

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad he is doing well following his surgery.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Kim37040 Thanks so much! I am so proud of how brave and strong he is! He must be feeling better today because I found a splodge of boar glue in the cage :O
@kathlaaron Thanks for posting those links! That poor pig in the e-collar breaks my heart. I don't think that would work in our situation, though, because it was his back leg that he's using to scratch. The stitches are internal so I don't have to worry about him chewing, thank goodness! I do have to worry about scratching, though, and if he tries to scratch again I will make one of those socks in the link! It would work perfectly! He is sleeping quite sound right now so I'm hoping we have a peaceful night! Everyday he's getting better and better and I can't wait to have my tiny love all better! Thanks so all the help everyone! I don't know what I would do without this forum!

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
What about some kind of little Velcro sleeve to go around is midsection? Almost like a tube dress, maybe out of an antimicrobial sock?

Never mind.. just looked at the link and it's exactly what I had in mind. -.- I should have looked at it first.

I wish you and your animal family the best of luck!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Well now every time I hear about an e-collar for g-pigs, Im going to think about a scuba diving guinea pig LOL

Ha!ha!hehee..."scuba diving guinea pig, indeed !" LOL

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
@kathlaaron Thanks for posting those links! That poor pig in the e-collar breaks my heart. I don't think that would work in our situation, though, because it was his back leg that he's using to scratch. The stitches are internal so I don't have to worry about him chewing, thank goodness! I do have to worry about scratching, though, and if he tries to scratch again I will make one of those socks in the link! It would work perfectly!

Yes..after I posted ( I was in a hurry...trying to find bpatters "interfacing" material...) I realized too late, that OF COURSE he was using his back hind leg to do the scratching, and therefore the "collar" that was depicted in the photo on that forum, would be useless for "where his surgical stitches were" on his body. Hopefully, that homemade cotton dress will work well, and he hopefully won't be able to get it off, until his stitches are nearly healed.

There must be something safe, that one can use to soothe the "itchiness" of your piggies incision. In case he gets the "dress cotton bandage off" somehow, due to unbearable itchiness.

I am sure someone more qualified than I, could suggest something you could gently rub on that area. Vicki, at Jack Pines Guinea Pig Rescue used Prep. H ointment...but don't know if this is a good idea or not. However, here is another link ( you have probably already seen it) for you to read, and also where I got the Preparation H ointment idea !

https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the help and well wishes everyone! He's been very good about not touching the incision today, so I haven't had to try the sock dressing yet! I talked to my vet and she said I could rub Vit. E on it to help soothe the skin, so I did that. He's getting his appetite back so I'm feeling very good about everything! I also talked to my vet about stopping the antibiotics since they were turning him off of his food (even with probiotics) and she said as long as the incision looks good and kept clean, he hopefully shouldn't need them. So I've been keeping the incision clean and his cage very clean and tidy, and praying that the incision continues to heal nicely. I hate using antibiotics on him because it always turns him off of food :(
Thanks again for all the help everyone!!! :D

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Lump Growing Back

Hey all,
So, the lipoma that Pedro had removed on Oct. 7 is starting to grow back. I feel so terrible. We knew that this was a possibility when we decided to go for the surgery but I didn't think it would start coming back so soon. Other than that he is the perfect 7 year old. He's eating, happy, bouncy, loving. It kills me that this is happening to him. I just hope it stops growing. I don't think he would be able to go through another surgery at that site because the incision was so huge and it did take alot out of him. Would the scar tissue prevent another surgery?
I just don't know what to do. Right now we are just taking things day by day and enjoying the time we have together.
On a side note, this morning when I was cleaning his cage I noticed he has some crusty stuff on his nose. Oh, great. I'm undecided if it's boar glue or dried mucus. It's sort of on the top of his nose. He has no discharge anywhere else, hasn't been sneezing, coughing, still eating, etc. So, I'm going to keep an eye on him for now and then go from there. Wish us luck!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Re: Lump Growing Back

Poor baby! I don't have any advice aside from what you are doing. Take it day by day. Have you talked to your vet about the regrowth and seeing what they think?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Fingers crossed that it's boar glue. In the absence of any other symptoms, that's probably what it is. Ditto spy9doc about not removing the lipoma unless you just have to. I had a dachshund that lived happily with one for about 10 years and finally died of liver disease.

ellisa

Cavy Slave

Thanks everyone. BP, my old dog had them too and never caused any issues, so we never removed them. The problem with Pedro's is that the location is along his ribs and low, so if it got too big it could drag. Also, before it was removed, he did have a harder time walking and bending to clean. He's been so happy since it was removed that it's breaking my heart that it's coming back. The vet had a feeling that it might come back because all of it wasn't removed. She de-bulked it, and she couldn't get too close to the tissue wall without causing damage to his tissue. I'm just hoping that it will just get to a point where it won't get any bigger, and he can just live out the rest of his days in peace. I will have to talk to my vet about it getting drained.
Thanks so much everyone, it really does mean alot to me :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ellisa, I merged your two threads on this topic. It helps to have all the information together in one thread.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks foggy, I didn't know if it was better to start a new thread or continue with the old since it was over a month old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.