Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Has anyone tried the new, lightweight cat litter with their Wheekers?

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
given that Rusty & Jerome, like the majority of Wheekers, drop one of the planet's least offensive little poop pellets everywhere, I, like most of our members, have definitely noticed they do perform more eliminative activities (aka: pooping & peeing, haha) in the corners & a few random auspicious (to THEM) locations

MY nemesis is the pee! They are little SOAKERs of whatever I have had under their aspen shavings (usually those soft, absorbent pads for changing babies on), and it's costing me a fortune.

So I searched here in the forum for references to cat litter and found this excellent URL, recommended by @Bamysmum: https://rabbit.org/faq-litter-training-2/

My question is two-fold: Can anyone recommend a Guinea Pig safe brand of Cat Litter (doesn't initiate respiratory illness)? Has anyone seen/tried the new "lightweight" Cat Litter, (broken link removed) ? is it light because it's DUSTY (fuggedaboudit), or is it the answer I've been waiting for???

{UGH, can't figure out how to add tags from the edit screen} HELP, Teresa! I wanted to use the tags:
cat litter, litterbox training,litter,fleece ~ Thanks!

Last edited:

scoottie

Cavy Slave
No do not use it the litter clumps. Not only that it seems to be making animals sick from the reviews I have seen.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use Fresh News for Cats in the kitchen area in my cages and fleece in the rest of it. Fresh News is a pelleted paper bedding and is extremely absorbent. I think I've probably tried every bedding out there and this is my favorite. When it gets wet, it expands slightly.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
thankyou [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] ~ I'll pick up some Fresh News for Cats and give it a go; the aspen shavings drive me crazy sticking to all the fleece cuddle caves and tunnels, ditto the carefresh. Maybe the pellet shaped bedding will prove less annoying?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Fresh News doesn't stick to the fleece. That's my favorite thing about it. It makes a good mulch so I empty the soiled stuff into my garden beds. You can scoop out the clean stuff and reuse it when you clean the cage. They also have Fresh News for small pets but it's a little looser in shape. It's also more expensive than the one for cats.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
Fresh News doesn't stick to the fleece. That's my favorite thing about it. It makes a good mulch so I empty the soiled stuff into my garden beds. You can scoop out the clean stuff and reuse it when you clean the cage. They also have Fresh News for small pets but it's a little looser in shape. It's also more expensive than the one for cats.

I am looking forward to having today be the last day I spend picking little aspen shavings off of the boys' fleece tunnels, cozy caves, cuddle cups and floor panels before putting them in the washing machine! My garden beds also thank you, [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I am looking forward to having today be the last day I spend picking little aspen shavings off of the boys' fleece tunnels, cozy caves, cuddle cups and floor panels before putting them in the washing machine! My garden beds also thank you, [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!

You're very welcome, [MENTION=34641]frNzR4evr[/MENTION]. It's great stuff and I love the fact that I can empty it in my garden beds and there's less stuff going into landfills.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Definitely don't use the lightweight stuff. I've heard all number of bad things about it literally killing people's cats.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave

Wow! I am so-o-o-o-o impressed withe the wood pellets! Unbelievably inexpensive, safe provided they are hardwood (not cedar or pine or spruce) I just finished a 40 lb bag that lasted three months, with three wheekers in a 2x4 grid C&C... no smell, easy peasy to use, the wet pellets turn into shavings, which you can just re-mix with the dry ones, sifting about a quarter of them out each month, replacing with new pellets as needed... Guys, I paid about $8 Canadian for the 40lb bag!!!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I so wish I could find them here in Central Jersey as they would be perfect for my kitchen area. The only places I find want to sell them by the ton.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.