Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick bladder stones, not eating - what to do?

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
If there are pet stores, there are pigs at rescues that need good homes. Look on craigslist or Petfinder, and be patient until you find one.

Also IMO (in my opinion) consider that it is not the wheekers' fault they are on sale at a pet store... Whenever I see pocket pets for sale, I ask to see the manager of that department, make an appointment if necessary, and discuss the issues so important to US, which leads to the REASONs we council boycotting the practice of pet store purchase

a) it's possible you may effect change one department at a time, which is ultimately for the good of the wheekers

b) if YOU don't buy their wheekers, someone ELSE will, and at least you know the one you buy will have a long healthy beloved life that he/she otherwise is so unlikely to receive

just sayin'

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The problem with the b) part of your argument, @frNzR4evr, is that when you buy one from a pet store, you create the demand for another one to take its place. One more continuously pregnant sow, one more litter in horrible conditions, more pigs to be sold in pet stores. Who's going to take them?

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
The problem with the b) part of your argument, @frNzR4evr, is that when you buy one from a pet store, you create the demand for another one to take its place. One more continuously pregnant sow, one more litter in horrible conditions, more pigs to be sold in pet stores. Who's going to take them?

I Yes, I understand and agree with the premise: Also applicable to wearing Furs, buying Ivory, eating Shark Fin soup, and for many people eating meats, eggs & milk

In THIS case, however, I understood @KatBing to say "Anyone know of a good place to get a piggie in Eastern Washington? All the places I got them from are gone - all that's left are big chain, name brand pet stores."

Hence my suggestion that the stores could be EDUCATED, which I believe is more likely to "solve the problem" more quickly than "just don't buy them" will.

Several of the franchises of "Big Chain Stores" in my region of Ontario, Canada (PetSmart, Pet Value, Global Pet Foods, Ren's) have adopted (pun intended) a no-pets-for-sale policy, choosing instead to feature shelter cats and foster guinea pigs (
https://pigglesrescue.com/About.html) that need forever homes. When it comes to dogs, they hold events where the public can adopt a shelter dog.

The more stores that buy in (I'm so punny tonite) to our way of thinking, the fewer guinea pigs will find themselves in the deplorable conditions described by @bpatters

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.