Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Shedding, a lot

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks like my thread got caught in the maintenance notice..

Anyway, Mooshy reminds me of my hair shedding on chemo for a few days now. She doesn't like my petting her and gently helping the loose hairs out. Would a bath be helpful for her/shedding? I use gorgeous guineas pregnant sow shampoo. She hasn't been bathed in over a month. Just curious how to help her along when brushing and such is out.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Long hair I am guessing

Artista

Cavy Slave
Actually not, short hair american. It's been a long while since a big shed so that may be it but just want to help it along if I can.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Huh my American shorthair sheds but only two hairs or so. It has me thinking is it possible that you pig has another problem going on besides the shedding?

Artista

Cavy Slave
Huh my American shorthair sheds but only two hairs or so. It has me thinking is it possible that you pig has another problem going on besides the shedding?
It's normal for all gps to have a big shed once or twice a year. She just saw her exotic vet for another issue and is doing well. I'm thinking change in season as the cause as we've had this before and she's fine. I just never thought that maybe a gentle shampoo job may help her with it and ease her before and wonder what people think.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
It might help but what may help more is regular brushing.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
What I've found is that when my boys are scared or stressed they will shed more than normal. They are shorthairs as well and they shed a ton all the time, even when they are relaxed. Their liners and cozies are always covered in loose hair. Whenever I pet them, hair comes off. During laptime, my clothes get covered in hair. Perhaps all pigs are different when it comes to shedding...? Not sure.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My guess would have been that she's an Abby. Do you remember that we were going to start the "Shedding Abby Club"?

My Abbys have always shed far more than my Texel ever did. I now have two Abby boys, one of whom sheds a good bit, and the other not so much. Quite honestly I have never found brushing to be of much benefit unless it is to spread the oils on their skin and in the coat. My dearly departed Chester could be brushed and 30 mins later would shed profusely.

I occasionally give the boys a light haircut, brush them, and then bathe them. This seems to resolve the excessive shedding for a while. You don't have much latitude with a haircut, do you? I do find that my cavies shed seasonally and pay a bit more attention to them at that time.

Could Mooshie have dry skin? I know we think of skinnies as having dry skin, but I know that Teddies often experience it as well. If you are going to bathe her anyway, why not rub a little coconut oil into her coat, let it sit for 2-3 days, and see if anything changes?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.