Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Wanted: Acctual and reasonable solutions to the "pet store problems"

Shieme

Cavy Slave
My local petco live animals are in horrible conditions and I'm thinking of taking pictures but then I might be hurting people's jobs. I wish there was a way. Without hurting innocent people's jobs. They might be looking for another job but can only get employment where they are at. It's just a sticky subject.

i mean puppy mills still exists and dog fights. Nothing will change the human condition. Some people are just bad people. Money I guess is the root of evil whatever that saying is.
[MENTION=22436]ThePigAlchemist[/MENTION], you are correct. Walmart stopped a while ago. They sold fish for a while after but they stop that too. I think they stopped because they couldn't keep them fed and cleaned.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My local petco live animals are in horrible conditions and I'm thinking of taking pictures but then I might be hurting people's jobs. I wish there was a way. Without hurting innocent people's jobs. They might be looking for another job but can only get employment where they are at. It's just a sticky subject.

i mean puppy mills still exists and dog fights. Nothing will change the human condition. Some people are just bad people. Money I guess is the root of evil whatever that saying is.
[MENTION=22436]ThePigAlchemist[/MENTION], you are correct. Walmart stopped a while ago. They sold fish for a while after but they stop that too. I think they stopped because they couldn't keep them fed and cleaned.

Actually not all Walmart's stopped selling fish my Local Walmart still sells fish but Im not sure how they get treated

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Also does anyone know if Petsupermarket is tied in with the Petsmart Chain???

Shieme

Cavy Slave
@Guinea2002 wow. Didn't know that. I do think they are tied.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yes I can take pictures if you like when I go to Walmart if I go in near future

Shieme

Cavy Slave
No need. I believe ya. It's not that surprising since my store stopped when petsmart was built. Then they sold betas for while but stopped that too. I have two super Walmarts which is a fluke. They were going to shut one down but everyone protested too much so we have two. But yeah I believe ya.

Jandthepigsquad

Cavy Slave
Earlier in the thread, there was mention that Teresa Murphy has experience with this. Is there a petition that could be signed for each county or state? Or a letter to copy and paste to send to your Congressperson? Please let us know how to enact change at the governmental level. Thank you.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Earlier in the thread, there was mention that Teresa Murphy has experience with this. Is there a petition that could be signed for each county or state? Or a letter to copy and paste to send to your Congressperson? Please let us know how to enact change at the governmental level. Thank you.

You can always go on the State Government Website and see how file Petitions cause many states have their own rules. Also depending on your state you could file for a Referendum (When People Vote on a Legislative Issue) so it can be voted on during the Next State Election. Also as a note these things take time to change 2-10 years is the usual wait time for a law to get passed even more!

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I wanted to give an update as this subject was spoken a while back and I wanted to say that I am almost done writing a Letter for my Local Government Officials about Pet Store Sales any ideas on what to put in the letter?

boopy

Cavy Slave
I think that what we really need is harsher regulations on breeders (like licensing, and this doesn't just go for mills, literally any person intentionally breeding animals), and where stores source the animals, to ensure they aren't coming from mills or places with deplorable living conditions where animals face neglect and abuse, and I also think stores should consider operating more like shelters, or work with shelters to help them overcome boarding issues. I think, generally speaking, that the selling of animals as merchandise (as in, the retail sale of animals) is immoral and the system really needs to more closely regulate how these places can operate, so that it does become more of an adoption as opposed to a purchase. Animals aren't products.

Currently, there's a puppy store near my home that I've been protesting every Sunday. It finally made it into our state news because an undercover investigation revealed the dogs, and bunnies, were coming from one of the worst puppy mills and the puppies had a number of severe medical conditions, such as chronic issues, and other issues such as giardia, kennel cough etc. that were not disclosed to the customers. This company had also been kicked out of Connecticut because of their practices. One thing that might come as a surprise is that puppy mills are actually legal in a lot of states. I think states need to focus on banning not only the sale of animals from mills for profit, and also on dismantling the mill industry altogether. Classify these places as animal abuse factories. Actually investigate them, even if that means just having health code requirements that all animals have regular vet care, and strict requirements for living conditions, access to food, water, shelter, etc. Just SOMETHING needs to be done.

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
I think the store should have a monthly adoption day where people who need to rehome their pets could go and show the pet. If you look at sites like CL to get a pet then maybe the open adoption day could be posted and if it became a regular thing then it might catch on. Committees or volunteers could help organize this and work with the store employees. Stores should profit from increased customer visits. Just an idea. :confused:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.