Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Pepper plants and rid grasshoppers eating them

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
I am growing sweet bell peppers for my Mom's guinea pig. Grasshoppers are trying to eat the plants. How can I safely rid the grasshoppers and not make the peppers dangerous for the guinea pig? (Guinea pig safe grasshopper removal for pepper plants.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Contact your county extension service and see what an acceptable insecticide is for foods that will be eaten raw.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Neem oil is a natural and pet safe insect repellent. Although I’m not sure if it’s still safe for guinea pigs to eat. Maybe as long as you wash the vegetables REALLY well before feeding it to them?

Ive also heard of people applying flour to their plants. This will gum up the mouths of grasshoppers so they can’t eat the plant. (If you do this just make sure to wash off all the flour before feeding to the guinea pig.)

Another option would be to buy an insect screen or cheese cloth to cover the plant. This way it still gets sunlight, but the bugs can’t get to it.

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters. For now I put my potted marigolds next to the pepper plants because I've heard that grasshoppers don't like the smell of marigolds. I won't spray anything on them though with out contacting my county extension office like you said above.

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
I also thought of flour too. But could it absorb into the plant at all. I don't want any dangers for the guinea pig.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters. For now I put my potted marigolds next to the pepper plants because I've heard that grasshoppers don't like the smell of marigolds. I won't spray anything on them though with out contacting my county extension office like you said above.

This has nothing to do with grasshoppers but we put lots of marigolds in containers around our patio table to keep mosquitoes away. Apparently they do not like the smell of marigolds and it seems to have worked. We can sit out in the evenings and not be bitten like crazy by mosquitoes. I hope they work the same for your grasshoppers.

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
Thanks Kelsie. I tried the marigolds and so far no grasshoppers!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.