Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Quick expanding and retractable cage

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Hi

Everyone

Last time I posted I had downsized my c&c cage. I now found a great solution with the grids. Currently I put the mattress pads staight onto the floor then put the grids on top. I can expand or decrease the size of the cage within minutes if not seconds to accomodate the days changing needs. I range the cage from a 2x3 to a 2x6. The best thing about the floor set up is I can roll my hoover straight over the pads and it's clean for the whole day in just a few seconds.

Personally I found correx takes up too much space in the cage I was also resizing every second. So this is a cheap alternative for anyone in the same or similar situation. Pic attached.

20140827_104528.jpg

The cage seems so much bigger without the correx and all the pads tucked to the sides. It gives them maximum space and it's super changable. It's also easily transported anywhere.

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Will post more pics of the whole cage in it's smallest and biggest sizes

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure you have a water proof layer under the mattress pad. Also, scrub out the Hoover once in awhile so it doesn't stink. I had a hand vac that got really smelly quickly. There were parts that I couldn't clean.

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Cage with run
20140828_102301.jpg

Cage without run
20140827_130655.jpg

The run gets attached every morning and then packed away each afternoon.
The run is a 3x6 / 4x6
Without the run it's a 3x2.

They have 2 hay racks 2 water bottles and 2 good bowls. The cage without the run is not a recent pic.
It accomodates the daily changing needs.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Is it carpet under the cage? I was thinking about using a shower curtain as a liner and then putting uHaul pad and fleece down to make open floor play area. I was looking at gates to use but I like the idea of using the grids and connecting it to the main cage. Right now there in a Midwest cage with an added kitchen area. Rather than use the grids to build a new cage, I could make a large play area that I can easily remove when needed. Compare my idea to what you've done. Any suggestions to improve what I'm thinking? Should I get a couple slats of coroplast to put under so the floor is hard for them?

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Is it carpet under the cage? I was thinking about using a shower curtain as a liner and then putting uHaul pad and fleece down to make open floor play area. I was looking at gates to use but I like the idea of using the grids and connecting it to the main cage. Right now there in a Midwest cage with an added kitchen area. Rather than use the grids to build a new cage, I could make a large play area that I can easily remove when needed. Compare my idea to what you've done. Any suggestions to improve what I'm thinking? Should I get a couple slats of coroplast to put under so the floor is hard for them?

I have just carpet and washable potty training matress pads. I found I didn't need any other layers ecause it has a waterproof backing. It's three layers in one. A top layer which wicks the middle layer absorbs and the bottom layer is waterproof. It holds up to 3 litres of liquid.

I don't think you will need the corroplast as it will be hard to storw away and is quite slippy. I think the cage idea with the play area is fantastic especially if you can't get away with a huge cage 24/7. You also have a handy sized cage which is portable. C&C cages with correx are timely to transport. You can also keep all the food hay etc in the cage so they can jump back in to eat this means practically no pee and poops in the play area making it super easy to just fold up pads for next time. Hope this helps

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I have just carpet and washable potty training matress pads. I found I didn't need any other layers ecause it has a waterproof backing. It's three layers in one. A top layer which wicks the middle layer absorbs and the bottom layer is waterproof. It holds up to 3 litres of liquid.

I don't think you will need the corroplast as it will be hard to storw away and is quite slippy. I think the cage idea with the play area is fantastic especially if you can't get away with a huge cage 24/7. You also have a handy sized cage which is portable. C&C cages with correx are timely to transport. You can also keep all the food hay etc in the cage so they can jump back in to eat this means practically no pee and poops in the play area making it super easy to just fold up pads for next time. Hope this helps
Where did you get your mattress pads? I have a small one I use for lap time but not a full mattress pad. Do you put fleece over your mattress pads? And how do you keep the panels up when using them so they come apart quickly? I figure you don't zip tie them all together. Just use the connectors that come with it?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
@Flowering - what kind of hay rack is that? My guys won't use the ones I've bought but yours look like they'd work. Also, what's in your boxes under the racks? More hay or litter?

Sorry for all the questions.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
I absolutely LOVE that little pink polka dotted ball/house hanging thing in the middle in your last pic!! What is it? Where did you get it? Any chance it comes in blue? I have three boys

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I started reading this link and am so glad I did. The lady that started it has a bad story but then far into the comments is someone posting about their piggie also dying from it and it just sounds horrific! So sad. I certainly won't be getting one now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.