Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Baby wipes okay?

nanciecole

Cavy Slave
Since I have had my two boys Bear and Twix, I've had to separate and clean their "private areas" (cute, I know).
My question is, are baby wipes harmful to them? I usually try to clean them up with a wet paper towel or some toilet paper but it has been shredding and leaving little pieces behind.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use them. They're usually scented, and have cleansing agents in them, although that varies by brand. Baby wipes are not designed for animals that groom themselves.

How old are your boars? And how are you cleaning them?

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
What about making your own "baby wipes" with piggy safe shampoo? I found this recipe and I do not see why you could not just use small animal shampoo in place of the baby shampoo and mineral oil in place of the baby oil. Homemade Mamas: Homemade Baby Wipes

nanciecole

Cavy Slave
Bear is a year, Twix is 5 months. Every few days I have to separate Bear's boy parts and clean it out with a wet paper towel or some wet toilet paper. His boy parts drag on the floor of the cage and gets poops and hay stuck (even though it's cleaned every other day!)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
What about making your own "baby wipes" with piggy safe shampoo? I found this recipe and I do not see why you could not just use small animal shampoo in place of the baby shampoo and mineral oil in place of the baby oil. Homemade Mamas: Homemade Baby Wipes

Baby oil IS mineral oil, or paraffin. The byproduct of petroleum. I would never use it on my animals, or myself for that matter.
Mineral oil requires harsh cleaning agents to ever remove as the skin can't absorb it, which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.

Just use a thick paper towel instead. or old tea towel.
For sac cleanings I would recommend using water based lube, without glycerin, parabens & common irritants many brands seem to use.
The Yes brand is the best I've found, organic with lovely ingredients. https://www.yesyesyes.org/

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Guinealynx says to use mineral oil and a q-tip and seeing that they seem to have the best medical guides for cavies on the web I am far more inclined to use their advice.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Guinealynx says to use mineral oil and a q-tip and seeing that they seem to have the best medical guides for cavies on the web I am far more inclined to use their advice.

Their site is quite outdated, they are in the process of updating it.
I believe Paula also has moved on to using lube, as well as other members as it's very efficient - and water based. The one I provided is also moisturizing and anti bacterial/fungal & healing because of the aloe,

I will provide more sources later, but I have to rush to school now.
Mineral Oil and Why You Should Avoid It
(broken link removed)

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
You take care of your pigs your way and I will follow guinealynx. If they do update then so will I until then I trust the information they have on there.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
You take care of your pigs your way and I will follow guinealynx. If they do update then so will I until then I trust the information they have on there.

Absolutely. But I would advice you to never follow advice blindly, mine or guinea lynx.
Research, and base your decisions on what's most reasonable. If we didn't question standards, "facts" & advice, we wouldn't have this forum or guinea lynx today.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CritterSlave, if you actually read the GL forums, you'll discover that a lot of their long-time GP rescuers no longer use mineral oil either. The article probably needs to be changed to reflect a better practice.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Reading this and seeing there is other options I still feel inclined to ask, is using baby oil detrimental to the health of the boar? I had two boars previously who never were cleaned (didn't know it had to be done) and since getting this one have been using baby oil and q-tips. Have I hurt him? Or would it have been better not to clean him than use baby oil? I appreciate your help!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Reading this and seeing there is other options I still feel inclined to ask, is using baby oil detrimental to the health of the boar? I had two boars previously who never were cleaned (didn't know it had to be done) and since getting this one have been using baby oil and q-tips. Have I hurt him? Or would it have been better not to clean him than use baby oil? I appreciate your help!

The issue is that mucus membranes are not protected the way skin is.
Any potential issues mineral oil can cause, would be a higher risk because of the area you are cleaning.
Though many have had no issues with mineral oil - the fact that most are moving away from using it in their products for both humans & animals,
and the current research being made I wouldn't use it.

You will still need to clean the boar. I wrote it above I believe, lube seems to be a really great method for boar cleaning.
The only lube I recommend for this is the water based Yes lube, knowing the crap other brands put into their products.
It has great slip for cleaning, organic ingredients which are moisturizing, anti fungal/bacterial, healing, safe & lovely.
https://www.yesyesyes.org/

diagoNfriend

Cavy Slave
ok i have near heard of cleaning the boar in this way.... i know noob question but why are we cleaning out him? and what are the pros/cons of doing so? and what is the best stuff to use? will any water based lube work? or does it need to be specific? should it be a thin lube or a thick lube?

diagoNfriend

Cavy Slave
also i have an aloe plant would be be best just to use straight aloe?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
ok i have near heard of cleaning the boar in this way.... i know noob question but why are we cleaning out him? and what are the pros/cons of doing so? and what is the best stuff to use? will any water based lube work? or does it need to be specific? should it be a thin lube or a thick lube?

We clean them out because they can infections down there. It also helps passing of the poo.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
ok i do not have a boar...but I also do not use mineral oil/baby oil cause it is not really absorbed by the body and i try and make my own stuff. In beauty recipes (for humans) I use coconut oil in place of baby/mineral oils. Just out of curiosity could coconut oil be used in lou of lube. I know coconut oil is supposed to be anti microbal or fungal bacterial can"t remember which I heard?) and I have seen on some sites recommended here that coconut oil is an ingredient?

just curious?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can use baby oil to clean the boars. But boars don't need to be cleaned unless there's a problem. They should be checked weekly, both sac and penis shaft, and more often if they're older or have had some kind of problem. But if there's nothing in the sac or the sheath, then leave them be.

And no, [MENTION=22188]MrWhistles[/MENTION], we don't clean them out because they can get infections. They can, and may, whether they're clean or not. They get cleaned to remove impactions and/or trash from the sac or trash and accumulated smegma from the penis sheath.

[MENTION=24995]diagoNfriend[/MENTION], here's a video on how to do it: medical :: Sac cleaning video by brimstone_photo - Photobucket. Don't use aloe.

[MENTION=24390]leopardjunkie[/MENTION], you don't need the medicinal properties of coconut oil. You just need something to soften impacted feces.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.