Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Zorb Vs. U-Haul

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Which do you prefer and why. Are they both equal in terms of absorbency? Right now I am using U-Haul but I would like to switch over to Zorb because it is the same price. How many layers of Zorb do I need to use? It says on the website that it absorbs ten times it weight, which leads me to believe I only need one layer, but I don't want to only get one layer and have it not be enough.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I've done one layer of uhual and I do one layer of zorb. I think uhual works better. It dries fast and smells less. Also uhual is natural fibers where zorb is a mix of natural fibers and micro fibers. When I bought zorb, I think it was almost double the price.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Also I forgot to add another question. I saw several people saying you need a protective layer in the liner, such as fleece, zorb, and procure on the bottom. They said you need the procure to stop the urine from getting onto the coroplast. That doesn't really make sense to me though. I want to do a reversible pad, so I want fleece on both sides and zorb in the middle. Will this not work because there is no protective layer, or is fleece considered a protective layer. If it won't work it there anyway to do a double sided fleece pad with a protective layer?

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
So you use Zorb and U-Haul? I have had the opposite experience that you have. My U-Haul takes two and a half full dry cycles to get dry. It is the same price as U-Haul pads for me.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Sorry, that wasn't so clear… no I don't use them together in one liner. I have used both for different liners though. Each liner I make is 2 layers of fleece and 1 layer of uhaul pad (or zorb). I don't do a waterproof layer. My goal is to make the pads dry thoroughly and clean well. If you want to do a water proof layer i would just lay it on top of the coroplast and then put the liner on top of that. Do them in separate layers or it's not going to dry well. I have been told that double layers of uhaul also take a while to dry as well. I have on occasion added loose uhual under my pads to the more frequently used spots. Or I do a potty pad on top of those spots. Usually it's a corner area.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Sorry, that wasn't so clear… no I don't use them together in one liner. I have used both for different liners though. Each liner I make is 2 layers of fleece and 1 layer of uhaul pad (or zorb). I don't do a waterproof layer. My goal is to make the pads dry thoroughly and clean well. If you want to do a water proof layer i would just lay it on top of the coroplast and then put the liner on top of that. Do them in separate layers or it's not going to dry well. I have been told that double layers of uhaul also take a while to dry as well. I have on occasion added loose uhual under my pads to the more frequently used spots. Or I do a potty pad on top of those spots. Usually it's a corner area.

Ok thanks, so I should only use one layer or two. Did you only use one layer because it was more expensive for you? If so would you have used two layers if it wasn't so expensive?

I am referring to zorb here not U-Haul

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I did one layer because at the time I ordered it I was hand washing my stuff. I was worried it wouldn't air dry fast enough or all the way thru. Plus it gets super heavy to hand wash and wring bigger liners out. I also only had one very clean pig at the time. A few months ago I bought a portable washer and spin dryer, but even that has limited capacity. Then I learned that double layers take so long to dry so I stuck with single layers anyway.

I've never tried two layers of zorb. I kinda feel like they only pee like a teaspoon at a time and they pee all over so they don't really need to hold a ton of liquid. To me it's more about odor than wetness.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I did one layer because at the time I ordered it I was hand washing my stuff. I was worried it wouldn't air dry fast enough or all the way thru. Plus it gets super heavy to hand wash and wring bigger liners out. I also only had one very clean pig at the time. A few months ago I bought a portable washer and spin dryer, but even that has limited capacity. Then I learned that double layers take so long to dry so I stuck with single layers anyway.

I have a washer and dryer so I am going to go with two layers. Did you prewash you zorb? It says not to prewash on the site but others on here have said that it shrinks. Did yours shrink, if so how much?

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave

I've never tried two layers of zorb. I kinda feel like they only pee like a teaspoon at a time and they pee all over so they don't really need to hold a ton of liquid. To me it's more about odor than wetness.

Mine pee a lot more than that. I use three layers of U-Haul and the urine still soaks through all the way to the bottom of the cage.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I change my cage every 2-3 days, how long do you go between cleanings? As for the washer/dryer… It is my understanding that two layers of uhual in a standard dryer don't dry well either. I've heard that when they tested it out (made a 2 layer test liner and cut it open after drying) it was still wet. I don't know how many people have tried it with zorb. Maybe you should do a test run.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I have a washer and dryer so I am going to go with two layers. Did you prewash you zorb? It says not to prewash on the site but others on here have said that it shrinks. Did yours shrink, if so how much?

I don't know if it's necessary to go with 2 layers of zorb. You might run into issues with it drying. It does say it holds 10x it's weight in moisture. I can't imagine one layer being so filled with piggie urine that a 2nd layer would be needed.

I made mine with fleece on top, one layer of Zorb, and then a bottom layer of PUL. I was following the example of piggybedspreads. I also made it so the edges of the fleece are fitted to go up and over the coroplast edge.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a track record for it since I just started using it one week ago. This weekend, the liner will get its first washing. (I did read elsewhere that Zorb must be sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric before being washed or it can fall apart. So I don't think you can pre-wash it.) I did pre-wash my fleece.

I've been using potty pads in the corners and under the loft. Those are just 2 layers of regular batting (not zorb) sandwiched between fleece. Those get smelly after a couple days then I switch them out. So far the main liner (with the Zorb) has not had any smell.

I'll let you know what happens when I wash it.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I don't know if it's necessary to go with 2 layers of zorb. You might run into issues with it drying. It does say it holds 10x it's weight in moisture. I can't imagine one layer being so filled with piggie urine that a 2nd layer would be needed.

I made mine with fleece on top, one layer of Zorb, and then a bottom layer of PUL. I was following the example of piggybedspreads. I also made it so the edges of the fleece are fitted to go up and over the coroplast edge.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a track record for it since I just started using it one week ago. This weekend, the liner will get its first washing. (I did read elsewhere that Zorb must be sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric before being washed or it can fall apart. So I don't think you can pre-wash it.) I did pre-wash my fleece.

I've been using potty pads in the corners and under the loft. Those are just 2 layers of regular batting (not zorb) sandwiched between fleece. Those get smelly after a couple days then I switch them out. So far the main liner (with the Zorb) has not had any smell.

I'll let you know what happens when I wash it.

I was going to make sides for mine too but since I want it double sided I am not sure how to do that, so I have to make a pad instead. Also I talked to someone who uses two layers of zorb and they said it dries fine. I am going to use two layers because I want it to be more comfortable for my girls because they are used to having a lot of cushion under their fleece.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Do you think it would have a difficult time drying with two layers of zorb around one layer of uhaul and fleece on both sides. I want it to be cushiony and I don't mind having it go through the dryer for 160 minutes. Would it take longer than that or less to dry?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I was going to make sides for mine too but since I want it double sided I am not sure how to do that, so I have to make a pad instead. Also I talked to someone who uses two layers of zorb and they said it dries fine. I am going to use two layers because I want it to be more comfortable for my girls because they are used to having a lot of cushion under their fleece.

If I had used fleece on the bottom, instead of PUL, then I would be able to flip it even with the sides. BUT, once it's flipped, the sides would be showing the back side of the fleece and the corner seams. It probably wouldn't be that noticeable that it's the back side of the fleece. It would be like putting a fitted bedsheet on upside down (inside out).

Pads would certainly be easier though. And if piggie doesn't try to burrow, it would work fine.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
If I had used fleece on the bottom, instead of PUL, then I would be able to flip it even with the sides. BUT, once it's flipped, the sides would be showing the back side of the fleece and the corner seams. It probably wouldn't be that noticeable that it's the back side of the fleece. It would be like putting a fitted bedsheet on upside down (inside out).

Pads would certainly be easier though. And if piggie doesn't try to burrow, it would work fine.

That is the problem though. My pigs burrow like crazy, but I wouldn't want to see the seams or anything like that. So I would have to make double sided sides also. I am having someone else sew it though so they might be able to do that, I am just not sure how it would work.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Zorb shrinks A LOT. You don't need multiple layers - one is definitely plenty. Years ago, I made my first liners of fleece, Zorb and PUL on the bottom. Even with one layer of Zorb, they take quite a bit of time to dry. They still look and work great, but they have really shrunk A LOT.

My more recent combo is absorbent liners for the bottom and fleece over the top, made separately, rather than sewn into one. I used a thin, flannel diaper material over the zorb to enclose it. I then have a reversible fleece that I toss over the top. This allows the zorb to dry much easier, and all fits better into the wash. It's also much easier when I need to take stuff outside to shake it out, since I'm only grabbing the fleece.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
interesting idea. I love the idea of the thinner flannel (which also absorbs!) with the fleece loose on top.

Zorb shrinks A LOT. You don't need multiple layers - one is definitely plenty. Years ago, I made my first liners of fleece, Zorb and PUL on the bottom. Even with one layer of Zorb, they take quite a bit of time to dry. They still look and work great, but they have really shrunk A LOT.

My more recent combo is absorbent liners for the bottom and fleece over the top, made separately, rather than sewn into one. I used a thin, flannel diaper material over the zorb to enclose it. I then have a reversible fleece that I toss over the top. This allows the zorb to dry much easier, and all fits better into the wash. It's also much easier when I need to take stuff outside to shake it out, since I'm only grabbing the fleece.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave

I know this thread is getting a little old, but I just wanted to comment on the Zorb. I couldn't respond earlier since my Zorb liners were still new.
Well I've since washed my liners and have not had any shrinkage whatsoever.

I was nervous after reading this post that all that work on my liners would be a waste. But I'm glad to report that my liners did not shrink one bit.
Just thought I'd throw that thought in here for others to consider.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Did you do any top stitching on your liners? The top stitching cuts back on most of the shrinking. It would shrink more if it was in loose layers like in flippers or when it's just laid in the cage loose.

I know this thread is getting a little old, but I just wanted to comment on the Zorb. I couldn't respond earlier since my Zorb liners were still new.
Well I've since washed my liners and have not had any shrinkage whatsoever.

I was nervous after reading this post that all that work on my liners would be a waste. But I'm glad to report that my liners did not shrink one bit.
Just thought I'd throw that thought in here for others to consider.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Did you do any top stitching on your liners? The top stitching cuts back on most of the shrinking. It would shrink more if it was in loose layers like in flippers or when it's just laid in the cage loose.

I did not do any quilting/ top stitching. Only the edges were sewn together. The Zorb was between a layer of fleece and a layer of PUL - those 3 were sewn together around the edges. (It was for a 2x4 c&c to give you an idea of size.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.