Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Guinea Pig Keeps Pulling Hair Out

March

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs in a 2x5 cage. The older one keeps pulling chunks of hair out of my other guinea pig and chases him around the cage every day trying to mount him. As of now, my younger guinea pig has a red sore on his back that I don't think is from mites. :sad: My parents hear him squeaking all of the time and want to get rid of my older guinea pig now. What should I do? I don't want to get rid of him, but I also want to keep my younger guinea pig happy. They've also been together for more than a year if that matters. Please help me

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs in a 2x5 cage. The older one keeps pulling chunks of hair out of my other guinea pig and chases him around the cage every day trying to mount him. As of now, my younger guinea pig has a red sore on his back that I don't think is from mites. :sad: My parents hear him squeaking all of the time and want to get rid of my older guinea pig now. What should I do? I don't want to get rid of him, but I also want to keep my younger guinea pig happy. They've also been together for more than a year if that matters. Please help me
Sometimes (from what I've picked up here) a wider cage helps with boar aggression. Could you do a 3x5? To give them more space? Even 3x4, which is slightly less room, but the wider space might help?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also try getting him a stuffed toy to be his love interest. Just make sure it doesn't have eyes that can be detached and eaten.

And try putting some fleece forests in your cage so that the younger pig isn't always in the line of sight.

March

Cavy Slave
You can also try getting him a stuffed toy to be his love interest. Just make sure it doesn't have eyes that can be detached and eaten.

And try putting some fleece forests in your cage so that the younger pig isn't always in the line of sight.

Thank you, I'm thinking of getting a plush guinea pig and adding the fleece forests. I hope it works out!

March

Cavy Slave
Sometimes (from what I've picked up here) a wider cage helps with boar aggression. Could you do a 3x5? To give them more space? Even 3x4, which is slightly less room, but the wider space might help?

Thank you, I'll talk to my parents about it. Do you know where I could find the coroplast to fit? I bought the 2x5 from the store on here

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I'll talk to my parents about it. Do you know where I could find the coroplast to fit? I bought the 2x5 from the store on here

I ordered from parent site as well, when I added on the very small section I those yard signs people put out for elections. Depending on where you are that may be possible for you. You can cut / tape together the coroplast, so you just need some to add in. Just tape on the back/bottom side so pigs can't get to the adhesive.

Home improvement stores (Lowes / Home Depot) usually carry it, sign making stores should also have it available. I've seen it online as well (in fact parent site has extra corogated sheets in store last I checked).

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.