Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Any green hay this year??

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My normal go to's are awful this year. KMS bluegrass is mostly yellow and brown and Small Pet Select is not as much long grass at all and tons of browns. Lots of pieces too. Very disappointing. Anyone find a vender who has better hay than this?? :(

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
My last few 50 pound boxes with Oxbow have been decently nice. The Timothy is a little harder than my liking, but definitely still edible for the pigs.

I just picked up a new box of Orchard Grass last week and it is exactly how I like it; very soft, green and fragrant.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I got a 9 pound bale of oxbow pretty recently that's really green and nice

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My last SPS was fine.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My Oxbow has been good all year, until this last box. I am very disappointed with the quality of the box I received on Monday. It's brown and in tiny pieces. I feel like I could have gotten the same quality hay for much cheaper at Tractor Supply.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
The KMS 3rd cut Timothy I bought in March is awesome.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
You're close to San Jose, right?
If you're open to orchard grass hay, I have a suggestion. Check out the orchard grass hay at Andy's Pet SHop at 51 Notre Dame Ave in San Jose. They get their orchard grass hay from San's Downtown Feeds in San Jose, which is one of the two hay dealers that I use for the rescue. Andy's Pet Shop sells it in flakes, which is roughly 5-7 pounds at $1/pound. About 80% of the time, the orchard grass is awesome. It's sold in open top bags so you can actually examine it closely to see if it's what you want. If it happens to not be good, then you can check out the Oxbow hays that they carry, which cost more. At times the orchard grass hay is so good that piggies stop eating their veggies and move over to the new hay that I put in.

But I know how your piggy loves timothy seed heads, so she may not like orchard grass.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
@CavyHouse I was just looking at your rescue site :)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
My 50lb box of Oxbow orchard grass is soft and green, but it's all in choppy little pieces with quite a bit of dust. The pigs don't seem to mind but it makes more of a mess and it's wasting more. I'm not very impressed with KMS at this point, so I think I might switch to Small Pet Select next time. I might even get a bale from the barn I ride at if I can find a really nice one. A lot of the horse hay they've gotten lately is almost like straw, but there were a couple of soft green ones. I guess it wasn't a great year for hay.

Five5

Cavy Slave
I have tried SmallPetSelect and was not impressed at all with the quality and KMS costs too much to ship to where I live, not really sure why that is as I live in NY but either way. Check out (broken link removed) I buy my Oxbow from them and never had any issues at all, you get free shipping on orders more than $50 also with the discount code shipfree. They even sell a lot of other cool Oxbow products cheaper than I have seen anywhere else (broken link removed)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The SPS 3rd cut I got last month was fine, there is a little brown but not as much as KMS has in their's the last time I got it from them. Mine will only eat Timothy Hay, I bought a small bag of orchard grass and they wouldn't eat it. i am wondering if they only had that, if they would eat if after a few days.

Artista

Cavy Slave
You're close to San Jose, right?
If you're open to orchard grass hay, I have a suggestion. Check out the orchard grass hay at Andy's Pet SHop at 51 Notre Dame Ave in San Jose. They get their orchard grass hay from San's Downtown Feeds in San Jose, which is one of the two hay dealers that I use for the rescue. Andy's Pet Shop sells it in flakes, which is roughly 5-7 pounds at $1/pound. About 80% of the time, the orchard grass is awesome. It's sold in open top bags so you can actually examine it closely to see if it's what you want. If it happens to not be good, then you can check out the Oxbow hays that they carry, which cost more. At times the orchard grass hay is so good that piggies stop eating their veggies and move over to the new hay that I put in.

But I know how your piggy loves timothy seed heads, so she may not like orchard grass.

Hi!
Mooshy does love orchard grass too. She seems to like it more than bluegrass or timothy. I quit giving the seed heads awhile ago since she was becoming too overweight. Not sure if that was it but she's back to a better weight now.

I'm about 45 minutes away from San Jose. I'm still in cancer treatment so venturing out of a short distance around me isn't a good idea with my side effects. I start 6.5 weeks of radiation in 10 days. I don't like buying hay in bags because it's been bagged for awhile, which is why I've always gone KMS and SPS. I'm in no mood to sort through all the browns in the KMS bluegrass and SPS orchard grass but I do the best I can because I feel bad for Mooshy who looks at me like what is this. She doesn't eat the browns which I don't blame her. It's more work and stress than I need as I'm pretty finicky about Mooshy's care and this hay ordeal upsets me. Anyone one find a non pre-bagged sitting on the shelf source you can order online that is great, please let me know! I'll keep Andy's in mind for when I'm up to venturing out. :)

Last edited:

Artista

Cavy Slave
I forgot about these guys. I remember getting 1st cut timothy hay when I first got her. It was pretty good. This is in E. NV so maybe not hit like PNW? I'm going to order their orchard grass and see. I wish they offered 5 lb box to see but alas 10 is min. But it is cheaper than 10 lb SPS orchard grass. Man I hope it's nice. Usually when KMS sucked, SPS was good and vice vera. This year sucks!

(broken link removed)

Last edited:

FoxOfShadows

Cavy Slave
i got a 45lb box of 3rd timothy back at the begining of march and its gorgeous greem amd soft like normal...their is some brown but not loads and my pigs and bun dont care and eat it all anyway

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
My Chock gets meddo hay and that's always nice and green so i've been told.
Cant remember the company that makes it though...

tjanson280

Cavy Slave
I have ordered Timothy from Drs foster and Smith recently. Their signature series. I like Oxbow the best but with 10 pigs it can get costly. Don't know about Orchard grass.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I have ordered Timothy from Drs foster and Smith recently. Their signature series. I like Oxbow the best but with 10 pigs it can get costly. Don't know about Orchard grass.

Oxbow is cheaper than the signature series, if you buy it in bulk. 50 pounds of Oxbow (orchard grass and timothy are the same price) is $60, which is $1.20 per pound. The signature series only comes up to 8 pounds, which costs $14 so that's $1.75 a pound. Buying Oxbow would actually save a lot of money, especially since you have so many pigs.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
My friend uses Sierra Valley hay and has like them a lot. They've been more consistently good for her than other online sources.

terrijanson

Cavy Slave
My last few 50 pound boxes with Oxbow have been decently nice. The Timothy is a little harder than my liking, but definitely still edible for the pigs.

I just picked up a new box of Orchard Grass last week and it is exactly how I like it; very soft, green and fragrant.

Where do you get the 50 pound of oxbow?

Artista

Cavy Slave
@Artista.......thanks for the link. I checked out their website this morning and it looks promising. Have you previously ordered either the 1st cutting or 2nd cutting Orchard? Wish I knew when their present stock was harvested? Perhaps I will phone them on Monday for more information.

I haven't ordered orchard from them, just 1st cut timothy and it was pretty good--- 3 years ago. I'll let you know what it looks like. I just don't want to buy bagged from the shelf because it's not fresh and it's pricey. So hopefully this pans out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.