Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Senior boar with babies?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So as some of you may know, Sly has very recently become an only pig. Serious considerations are being made for a friend or friends for him and one of the options I'm considering is bringing home a pair of very young boys. How should introductions be made if I choose to go this route?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's what I was thinking. With past experience, however, when we got Sly, Pooper was about 15 months old and Sly was maybe a month old ( I think ). Pooper was at him constantly and we had to create a space for Sly to hide in that Poopy couldn't get to him so he could relax. This was long before I discovered this forum so I was curious about how it would go. I know Sly needs friends, yet I'm having difficulty as I'm feeling like I'm betraying Pooper. I haven't made any concrete decisions yet but this was one of the routes I'm considering.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do know that. For me, though, Poopy's passing is still very fresh and I'm still having an incredibly difficult time with it. But Sly's needs come first, and I think baby pigs might be the answer. For both of us.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's different for everyone, but when I lost my Fuery recently, I found that adopting a new pig helped me heal. It was bittersweet bringing him home, and sometimes when I watch the pigs I still tear up thinking of Fuery. But my new pig Simon has brought me a lot of joy, too. He's a great little guy, and I'm glad I could give him a home. I hope it's the same for you when you decide to bring a new pig (or pigs) home.
I have found two sweet baby boys who need a home near me. They are coming home tomorrow afternoon (Sunday). The loss of Poopy is still extremely painful but these two will help Sly and between giving them a new home and looking after Sly, that has to be my main focus above my own pain.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you, Rywen. It will be bittersweet for sure. Great to have new baby piggies, and of course still sorrow at Poopy's passing. It's going to be very interesting to see how Sly reacts. I'm really hoping he just accepts them and moves forward.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would like everyone to meet Punkin, who is the orange and white fella, and Scooter, who is orange black and white. Big Poppa Pig Sly couldn't be happier. Introductions went incredibly well and all are in their new home sleeping, believe it or not.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have to agree with you :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.