Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Talk me down, thinking of adding a 3rd boar

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
I'm soooo tempted to rescue another boar or a pair of sows (or even rats or rabbits) from an overloaded rescue near me. They took on a massive hoard of neglected and pregnant small animals and are desperate. But I don't want to do separate cages and floor time etc....
Talk me down, I know it's a bad idea, I just hate to see the rescue so in need...
I already sent the rescue money and bought them hay and pellets off the Amazon wish list....It's not helping lol...
My 8 year old even told me to send them his birthday gift money, bless him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You already know a 3rd boar is a bad idea. As far as adding other pigs.... Only you know best. You know what you can and can't do. It IS heartbreaking to see rescues so desperately in need. I can't even look because it affects me emotionally and I don't deal well with it. I would take every single pig I could.

Bless you both for doing what you can, and doing what you've already done.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
I'm soooo tempted to rescue another boar or a pair of sows (or even rats or rabbits) from an overloaded rescue near me. They took on a massive hoard of neglected and pregnant small animals and are desperate. But I don't want to do separate cages and floor time etc....
Talk me down, I know it's a bad idea, I just hate to see the rescue so in need...
I already sent the rescue money and bought them hay and pellets off the Amazon wish list....It's not helping lol...
My 8 year old even told me to send them his birthday gift money, bless him.
Pairs of three boars rarely work and can make any current dominance problems worse. If the boars don't get along you might have to re-home the other one causing even more trouble than it's worth.

Assuming you have two males adopting two sows is double the guinea pigs. Not only that but that, but double the guinea pigs double the guinea pig expenses and a bigger possibility for disease.

Use that hay and pellets and give it to that shelter to help them out.

If you really want to help out some guinea pigs donate to a rescue who needs it.

Here are some rescues in the US: https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html

UK: https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations_uk.html

Canada: https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations_canada.html

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
I am preparing to retire from a rescue I started 10 years ago. While getting adopters is wonderful, so is getting foster parents and money. And we always appreciated volunteers. So many different ways to help and any of them is important. Also helping to spread the word! So taking in animals you can't care for is not necessary in order to be helpful.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.