Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast and fleece dangerous. Wait, what!?

Sarien

Cavy Slave
Before you skewer me, that is not what I think.

I house my pigs in a C&C, and I've never had a problem with that. But now, I have a few questions. I had a friend over a few days ago, and she brought along a friend of hers [boy, was she annoying]. Well, this morning, I wake up to an e-mail from this person. Apparently she breeds and show pigs. She told me I have my pigs housed in horrible conditions and that I am "confused about what is best" for my pigs.

What!? :mad:

In her e-mail, she states

"Any bugs in the urine simply sit ontop of the bedding just waiting to be ingested, and I am assuming that you mean the plastic sort in saying that plastic does not react well to urine, containing gastric acids, with cause it to release chemicals. Don't even get me started on fleece."

As far as I am aware, Coroplast is inert, and rarely comes in contact with urine. That's what the fleece and Uhaul pads are for. Right?
And how is fleece bad for the pigs? I've never had a problem with it and my pigs love it.

What do you guys think? Crazy breeder lady?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Well, she breeds. What do you think?

I've never had any problems with coroplast or fleece.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
And what does she think is better?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely uninformed, possibly crazy. In the first place, unless the pig has a urinary tract infection, urine is sterile and doesn't have bugs in it. And since the urine wicks through the fleece, how are they going to ingest it? Second, nothing reacts with coroplast. Third, where is the gastric acid coming from? Do you have a pig with a stomach leak?

I'd be torn between telling her she's nuts, and just filtering her email to me into the spam folder.

Sarien

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the same think bpatters. I'll file her away as the crazy breeder lady. I just hope my friend has the sense to never bring her back.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
lol i think shes smoking crack! ahahah i think she might have just been jeluse of the fact you take better care of your piggers then her 0.o heehee, you friend prob got to bragging about you and she didnt like it. but yeah i email her this site and inform her that, A.) you are not hurting your pigs B.)Its none of her bizz and finally id tell your friend about the meassage and how it offended you and that if she(the breeder) has such a big prob with it.. she just shouldnt come over anymore.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
scratch that.. dont tell her of this site, shes a breeder

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
Sounds like she may be a nut job. I would be nosy and ask her what type of conditions she thinks they should be in and if you could see her cages for ideas and that you are always open to suggestions. I'd personally like to see what crazy lady thinks is a better idea. I think the bug comment isn't about an actual bug, but germs as in "I caught a flu bug."

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The sentence structure is bothering me. Every time I read the sentence it just doesn't make any sense to me. I know I'm tired from getting up before the sun to send the kids off to school but I don't think my reading comprehension is that low. Delete the e-mail and inform your other friend that the breeder chick isn't allowed back to your home. It's your house and your pets you don't need to be criticized for the GOOD care you do give your animals in your own home. How rude. Just plain and simply rude of her.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
On a serious note, yeah, I agree that she seems to be a nutbar. The bugs in the urine comment confuses me the most. What kind of setup would she have that allowed the pigs no access to their urine? Unless she scoops shavings every time a guinea pig pees. Not to mention I don't know what a "bug" in the urine would be.

Either she scoops it every time (not likely) or she has a wire bottom cage that most breeders seem to have... her poor piggies.

She didn't say any of this when she was at your house, just wrote about it in the email?

Last edited:

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
What a but job. Just my opinion and two cents here but I would get links to information off her and GL. Try to inform her in ONE (read that ONE) email. If she replies and its all gone out the window, block and tell your friend you want nothing to do with the crazy lady. I always have the mind set that people can be taught, but only if they are willing. It never hurts to try and inform someone. Make sure you've got all your information on everything she bashes you at in the first email (ie google references on the urine thing).

Sarien

Cavy Slave
So, I met up with my friend for lunch before taking care of some school stuff and we got around to talking about the pigs.

She's not a big animal person and since I'm always talking about my trio, she thought that since her other friend also had pigs, we would hit it off. I laughed and explained about the e-mail [My friend gave her my e-mail thinking we could get to know each other that way, since this person lives a ways from us.]

Since she's been to this lady's house, I asked about their set up. She told me their cage has wood on three sides, pexiglass on the fourth and a metal, grate like bottom.

I think I'll take fleece any day over a grate.

Inle_Rabbit, the sentence may not make sense because it's just a bit of the novel she wrote me. She goes on about how breeders care for piggies better than pet owners and a whole bunch of BS.

All in all, I've blocked her. I was tempted to educate this woman, but I think anything I would have said would fall on deaf ears. She seemed set in her ways.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Yeah the breeder we rescued our mama piggies from tried to convince us that guinea pigs were happier in the set up she had then they were in larger cages. I can pretty much promise that neither she nor the girl you are dealing with has ever seen a guinea pig popcorn before.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I can pretty much promise that neither she nor the girl you are dealing with has ever seen a guinea pig popcorn before.

And if they even did they probably think something was wrong with the guinea pig.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Most likely true!

pinky

Cavy Slave
So, I met up with my friend for lunch before taking care of some school stuff and we got around to talking about the pigs.

She's not a big animal person and since I'm always talking about my trio, she thought that since her other friend also had pigs, we would hit it off. I laughed and explained about the e-mail [My friend gave her my e-mail thinking we could get to know each other that way, since this person lives a ways from us.]

Since she's been to this lady's house, I asked about their set up. She told me their cage has wood on three sides, pexiglass on the fourth and a metal, grate like bottom.

I think I'll take fleece any day over a grate.

Inle_Rabbit, the sentence may not make sense because it's just a bit of the novel she wrote me. She goes on about how breeders care for piggies better than pet owners and a whole bunch of BS.

All in all, I've blocked her. I was tempted to educate this woman, but I think anything I would have said would fall on deaf ears. She seemed set in her ways.

Even if you have the breeder blocked, I'd let your friend know that wire bottom cages are very dangerous to guinea pigs and can cause bumblefoot. I'm guessing that the grate bottom is a wire bottom. You might want to attached a link to bumblefoot and some information about the dangers of wire bottom cages for guinea pigs.

Sarien

Cavy Slave
Thanks pinky.

I'll get some links and send them out. Hopefully the girl is willing to listen to advice.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave

If she really believed that she (a breeder) takes better care of pigs than pet owners do, why on earth is she still breeding to sell to pet owners? Does it not occur to her *at all* how irresponsible and even cruel that is? Ugh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.