Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Kitten and piggies

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
Hi,
So on gumtree I saw this GORGEOUS kitten! I really want it and my parents said I can have it, but I am concern for my piggies. I plan on building a C&C cage without a lid, how can I make sure the kitten doesn't eat my piggies? Is there anyone that has a kitten/cat with piggies in and open cage?
Thank you

wombats

Cavy Slave
You can actually cat-proof a c and c cage very easily and very cheaply! If you have any extra grids, attach them all along the back of the cage and zip tie them on all sides to make it super secure. Then meausure the length of your cage and go to a place like Lowe's or Home Depot or some kind of equivalent and buy a wire closet shelf equal to or longer than the length of your cage. Make sure it's 16" wide--that's the perfect width to reach over connectors without looking too strange. I believe that they can cut it to size there, but I don't know if they file it down as well...if not, make sure you take a file and smooth down the edges, or ask them if they can, because there will be very sharp corners you can easily cut yourself on otherwise. Then just zip tie that along the back grids so you have a hinge, and you're done! I have three cats and it supports their weight just fine, and the shelf is long enough and heavy enough that they can't open it themselves. Here's mine to show you the finished result:

ddad64feee1c094caf4275baa30a38dd.jpg

ccef30c27d22f393d5a31fb8d495e301.jpg

578dc9efe173ac70faeea0af24b35382.jpg

(Also note mine has a bit of an overhang on the edges...you can actually cut it to be flush with the length of the cage, I just wanted to make sure we didn't accidentally cut it to small. And depending on the size of your cage you may want to have the closet shelf cut into two pieces so it's easier you use. You shouldn't have to worry about that unless you have anything larger than a 2x5 though. It'll still be just as strong and effective, but a bit easier than lifting a 7 foot closet shelf every time you want to see your piggies)

wombats

Cavy Slave
Also, most cats are very good around guinea pigs. However, because this is a kitten, I wouldn't let them have much actual contact with the guinea pigs just yet as they tend to be very playful and could accidentally hurt the piggies. When they get a bit older though, if they don't have a very high prey drive (as in they aren't the kind of cat to instantly want to hunt every small animal/moving thing in sight), you could let them interact with supervision. Never, EVER leave the cat with the piggies unsupervised. No matter how well they seem to get along, it's just reckless and irresponsible to risk their wellbeing.

Otherwise, my cats seem to either like or fear Bob...Mr. Jinx could care less and lets Bob climb on him so long as he doesn't nibble his paws. Tinker Bell is fascinated by him but gets really upset if he tries to run into/under her and almost swatted him in the face once so I have to keep a close eye on her if she's in the room with us, and Edgar seems to like Bob's company but the other night Bob was chasing him around and rumbling and harassing him and Edgar was really scared about that.

Otherwise, Edgar's probably the best cat around Bob...he never tries to follow him or bother him, he just lays there and watches him and sometimes they sleep next to each other. So from personal experience (as believe me, I was just as freaked out and worried about the cats with the guinea pigs) with supervision, they'll be fine. But if you see your cat visibly bothering them or stalking and behaving as though they are hunting them (body low to the ground, butt wiggle preparing to pounce, tail low and twitching) theeen you should be concerned. Don't be alarmed if the cat wants to investigate the piggies, and just let it happen. Don't punish them for being curious, but interfere if they are actually distressing or hurting or being a potential threat to the piggies. :) Otherwise, best of luck, and I'm glad you're getting a kitten--cats are wonderful animals and I can't even imagine life without one

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi,
So on gumtree I saw this GORGEOUS kitten! I really want it and my parents said I can have it, but I am concern for my piggies. I plan on building a C&C cage without a lid, how can I make sure the kitten doesn't eat my piggies? Is there anyone that has a kitten/cat with piggies in and open cage?
Thank you

My roomate had a chinchilla with a closed cage, and my kitten found a way inside of the cage and killed it. Kittens go by instincts its in their nature to hunt. I would put a lid of the C&C cage.. it may not really be an issue when the kitten is older, but small kittens are very rough. Because of personal experience, I would advise against it.

guineapigcare

Cavy Gazer
As long as the guinea pig enclosure has a grid cover, your piggies should be safe and happy!! :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
We foster kittens, and they've met the guinea pigs without any problems. I think if you are always present when they interact, your kitten would grow up knowing about guinea pigs and not see them as prey.

That said, I took a guinea pig in that the owners let their cat "play" with. It took a long time before that pig finally trusted anyone or anything.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
That said, I took a guinea pig in that the owners let their cat "play" with. It took a long time before that pig finally trusted anyone or anything.

The poor piggie, I hope it's more trusting now, it would be hard to trust. The piggy would've been traumatised!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.