Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Tissue box for hay feeder

Ceorriac

Cavy Slave
Hello, I’m considering using a tissue box as a hay feeder. Will it be ok if they end up chewing on the tissue box?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as the plastic film is completely gone and there are no sticks or glue anywhere, it should be fine.

I'd be more concerned about them trying to climb into it and get stuck, however. I just pile their hay on the floor in a corner to be honest. My pigs have pulled it out of whatever I've used for a rack anyway, and they love diving into and playing (and sleeping) in piles.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use a tissue box. There will be tissue fibers left behind that aren't meant to be eaten, there may be a fragrance added, and the glue would concern me. I have used cereal boxes in the past. But a hay feeder of any kind can be a safety issue. They like to stick their faces in the hay, and when it's crunched up in a box, you run the risk of hay pokes to the eyes. I just make a hay pile on top of a wee pad. They can sit there, push the hay around, and moisture soaks into the wee pad keeping the hay drier.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I feel the same as [MENTION=42766]ItsaZoo[/MENTION]. I've always been leery of hay racks. Many years ago when I first had guinea pigs I purchased a plastic hay rack and almost immediately one of my young pigs climbed into it. Fortunately I was home at the time and was able to pull her out. I got rid of the rack and from that time on I've always just made a pile of hay for them. I purchased a large number of small bathroom rugs from Ikea and I use them for the hay. I change them out each day and it works perfectly for the pigs. I really think pigs enjoy just having a large pile of hay to run through. I know it's messy looking to us but our pigs don't care.

Ceorriac

Cavy Slave
I do like the idea of them being able to play in it if it’s in a pile on the floor, but I worry about wasting it if they pee all over it. I haven’t like any of the racks I’ve used mostly because I worry they can’t get enough hay out so for now I’ve stuffed TP rolls with hay, making sure there’s plenty sticking out of the edges, and cut little holes in them so it’s like a toy and a feeder.

Ceorriac

Cavy Slave
I just saw this on Pinterest. Thoughts on this?

Attachments

D8558EE4-CEB6-4A49-BC6D-586640280E02.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Generally, the USDA recommends one-time use of egg cartons due to salmonella and other bacteria that can be present in the cartons. Our garbage company will not recycle them, so we end up using them to start fires in our fire pit.

Ceorriac

Cavy Slave
Oh wow well that’s good to know. Scratch that idea then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.