Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets KMS pellets look very weird

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

So I recently purchased some KMS pellets, and when I opened it, I noticed that the pellets were much shinier and longer than usual; the pellets are usually very short and have a "matte" finish. I thought they might have just changed the look so I gave them to my pigs.

Well, it was hard for them to eat, so I had to break every single piece of kibble in half for them. They still had trouble eating it, and never finished it all, and I saw spit in the bowl!

It is now the second day, and I have contacted the company; I am waiting for a response. I am very frustrated because now I may have to buy either Oxbow or extra veggies for now if I have to wait for another shipment, or if this is just how the pellets are, well then back to oxbow :/

I wanted to see if anyone else has kibble like this from KMS? Please let me know!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The color of the pellets depends on the hay. Maybe it's a different strain of hay, maybe it was the growing season this year.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I forgot to reply to this thread, but KMS got back to me within a day and told me that their pellet mill can be inconsistent, but the formula is still the same. I'm personally still not happy with the pellets, but I can't really do much about it, and at least I know that they're not defective.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie My guinea pigs are starting to eat them now, but they never finish the bowl and aren't as eager to eat them anymore. I think within a few weeks they will get used to it, but I can tell they definitely preferred the old ones.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Tonight while syringe-feeding Domino's vitamin C, I've noticed that he has broken his teeth. Im pretty sure it's from those rock-hard pellets. He and Carl don't have any scabs, so I don't think they got in a fight. Tomorrow hopefully I'll be purchasing some oxbow pellets and see how they like them. It's just not working out. And I feel you [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION] I've got the 25# bag too. It's perfect timing my week is super busy and next week we're on vacation, hopefully I can squeeze in a vet visit :/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He didn't break his teeth on pellets unless there was something wrong with the teeth. It's much more likely that he chewed the bars of the cage and broke them off.

Besides, they don't chew the pellets with their front teeth. They just pick them up and get them in their mouths that way. The chewing is done with the molars.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I'm pretty sure he didn't bight on the walls because he never does that and he's such a laid back, lazy piggy. Pellets was only an idea, but thanks or the information on chewing. That is just the only thing I could think of as he's had lots of trouble with his pellets. But with your information it's probably not the pellets.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie thank you for your suggestion, I tried it last night and it seems the boys are eating it now. They have also been doing the same thing as your pigs: leaving some in the bowl, and kicking them out. I think they were starting to get used to it but now I don't have to worry about them having a hard time chewing it. I was SO thinking of getting a 10# but decided to get the 25# haha but oh well! Hopefully this works out!

And thank you, I will be texting the vet today to see what she thinks. The teeth don't look as bad as I thought, and he's still eating his veggies and hay just fine. I feel better about this "wetting pellets" thing, and will be telling my petsitter this!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I too noticed this last batch of pellets looks longer and darker, but our pigs are eating them just the same.:confused:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.