Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing new young guinea pig is dirty and needs a shower?

rihosayashi

Cavy Gazer
so yesterday i just bought 2 new guinea pigs. they were very dirty from where they came from ( it looked like actual hell and sadly they were mixed with rabbits.) both of them are very dirty and since we dont have a cage they are currently living in a 20L storage bin which is just temporary. and since they are VERY dirty should we give them a bath even though they are young and a bit scared? im worried it will stress them out.

rihosayashi

Cavy Gazer
Read please
i forgot to say that one my guinea pigs face is very dirty and i know its not allowed to bath their face. What should i do? He's face is very dirty .

lissie

Cavy Slave

campusgirll

Cavy Slave
I did. I put them in a sink with a wash cloth for traction and gently wash them they will not like it at first but they will be clean

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Also for shampoo make sure you are using a shampoo meant for small animals, like Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo.

Baby shampoo, regular soap, and dog/cat shampoos are NOT recommended and will be too harsh on your guinea pigs.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You can wipe the face with a towel and warm water. You can also bath them with guinea pig shampoo.

With regard to bathing, I just posted a tip in another thread. I use a small, soft bristle toothbrush to clean especially dirty areas. It also is good for small areas that you can't dunk in water such as head, face, and chin. Just don't use too much shampoo and wipe those areas with a warm washcloth to remove it.

Squeaky Clean seems to have disappeared from stores in my area, so I'm now using the All Living Things product from PetSmart.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Yes ditto [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] , I commented that before I found out that Squeaky Clean isn't on the shelves anymore. You can use All Living Things or Gorgeous Guineas, Gorgeous Guineas is online only though, so it may take a while to receive.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I commented that before I found out that Squeaky Clean isn't on the shelves anymore.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was just confirming that it seems to have disappeared in my area as well. Previously, I had wondered if the disappearance of SC was just regional.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I think they just rebranded the same product. It seems that a lot of Kaytee products are now being sold under the All Living Things banner, but the items are identical.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.