Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Belly covered in pee!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

So I went to hold domino tonight and noticed that he had a wet tummy, and I tried drying it with a paper towel and it looks like pee! We figured that since he was sitting on his hay rack today, he must have peed on it and the hay tick didn't absorb it, so now he has a wet belly. It is almost 1 am so I can't clean it now, but should I give him a bath asap? I have tried drying it as much as I can.

campusgirll

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

So I went to hold domino tonight and noticed that he had a wet tummy, and I tried drying it with a paper towel and it looks like pee! We figured that since he was sitting on his hay rack today, he must have peed on it and the hay tick didn't absorb it, so now he has a wet belly. It is almost 1 am so I can't clean it now, but should I give him a bath asap? I have tried drying it as much as I can.
Yes if you cannot wipe it off with a wet cloth then you should wash him

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=39254]campusgirll[/MENTION] . I have decided I am going to pick up some Squeaky Clean and give him a butt bath.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: They didn't have Squeaky clean at Walmart, Petsmart or Petco. All they had was this shampoo by All Living Things, does anyone know if it's safe? (broken link removed)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My white pig used to do that all the time. Drove me crazy, he'd have a yellow belly. I found the best thing was to fill the sink with an inch of warm water, put him in and let him soak for a minute, soap up, put him back in the water to rinse, drain the water, re soap, and then put him back in before rinsing off. That was only when it was particularly bad, otherwise i'd only soap once. I don't know what the heck he would do every once and a while but he would just cover himself. Thankfully it wasn't very often.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: They didn't have Squeaky clean at Walmart, Petsmart or Petco. All they had was this shampoo by All Living Things, does anyone know if it's safe? (broken link removed)

The only thing that worry's me is the sulfate. They can be SUPER drying to skin and hair. I won't use sodium laurly sulfate on myself or the pigs.

I personally use the burts bee's oatmeal shampoo for dogs. I know I ideally should use a small animal shampoo, but my vet said this one is okay as it is very natural and the oatmeal helps my sow with her ovarian cyst related skin issues.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That shampoo should be ok for at least this bathing. You can then take your time researching to see what else you can find.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
That shampoo should be ok for at least this bathing. You can then take your time researching to see what else you can find.

Okay thank you, I will get it then. I researched for about 20 minutes and couldn't find anything. But since I don't want Domino to be covered in wet urine I will use it for now. @madelineelaine I personally don't think I will use dog shampoos for guinea pigs, but it makes me feel better someone else uses it just in case. I know it's safe but I think this one is more suitable.

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

Squeaky Clean doesn't seem to be available any more at stores in my area. I generally like PetSmart's All Living Things brand of products and in fact just bought this shampoo. I'm giving the boys a bath tomorrow.

My Sparky is a Dalmation and his white belly is perpetually stained. He adores sleeping in the litter box so it is difficult to keep him clean for very long. I find a small, soft toothbrush is invaluable for getting dirty fur clean, and is particularly good for areas that you don't want to dunk in water.......such as head, face, and chin. If an area is particularly dirty, I will sometimes use a dab of "natural" dish detergent to get the stains out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.