Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Very dirty brush, how to clean?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Domino's brush (the pink one from this kit https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufac...d=1494740771&sr=8-1&keywords=guinea+pig+brush ) seems to have a lot of gunk on the tips of the bristles, so I have avoided using it. It's a four-year old brush. But Domino needs his fur brushed, so I don't know if I should get a new brush or try to clean the old one. I don't see any posts talking about this, so any advice is appreciated.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I don't know if I should get a new brush or try to clean the old one.

Try to clean the old one first. I clean brushes--makeup, hair, piggy, etc.--much in the same way my Mother did. Put a mix of ammonia and hot water (just enough to cover them) in a dishpan and soak them for a couple of hours, and then use one brush to clean another. Rinse them well and let them air dry before using.

Both ammonia and bleach are highly basic (alkaline) with ammonia at 11.5 and bleach at 12/13. Ammonia is superb for cleaning where bleach isn't appropriate. And ammonia won't cause things to disintegrate much as bleach will.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.