Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Wheeking is making me crazy

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
So now that we moved all the pigs to the same floor of the house (separate rooms) they are wheeking loudly every time someone walks by and it's getting annoying. This was never a thing before we moved the ladies down to the first floor.

My question is will they settle down at some point? Is there a way to "train" them out if it? It's been a month or so since we moved them. I thought the ladies would learn the new, "food is coming" sounds and go back to reacting to just things like that but they wheek all the time and they appear to have taught my boys to do it too.

Should I not respond to them when they do it? I don't always but I thought maybe they wanted attention, so maybe I made it worse initially. I have no idea what their deal is. It is driving me a little crazy.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I thought of closing the door but I hate to do it. Part of the point of bringing them down was so they could get more interaction. They definitely feed off each other. The girls get going and then the boys assume they must be missing something so they get going too. Hopefully they will settle down I guess.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Wheeking could also be boredom. Might need more floor/play time. Mine wheels when all she wants is playtime. Because she she always has access to food, water, and hay.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mine are in my dining room, and anytime anyone walks towards the kitchen they start up. If I'm not planning to give them any food I say "No, not right now". It took a while of being consistent with saying it but they settle down right away now. It also helps to stick to a veggie routine. Their internal sense of time is amazing, mine know veggies are at 10am and 10pm and if I'm late they start wheeking.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Mine are in my dining room, and anytime anyone walks towards the kitchen they start up. If I'm not planning to give them any food I say "No, not right now". It took a while of being consistent with saying it but they settle down right away now. It also helps to stick to a veggie routine. Their internal sense of time is amazing, mine know veggies are at 10am and 10pm and if I'm late they start wheeking.

Makes sense. I'll just give them more time to get used to the new location. Hopefully it will all work out...lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.