Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

WANT female guinea pig (Northern Ohio)

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Hey, everyone. I'm looking for a friend for my single female cavy, Nikki. I'm hardly finding any single female guinea pigs in the state of Ohio, so if you have (or know of) any, let me know! I live in Clyde, which is directly in between Fremont and Bellevue. It is in the northern part of the state, half an hour southwest of Sandusky, and about an hour southeast of Toledo. If you have a guinea pig up for adoption, I need good quality pictures of her. I would like to stay in the state of Ohio, and the closer to my location you are, the better, however I am willing to drive one or two hours away.

Some information:
-My current cavy is a 4 and a half year old female that I have owned since 2011. I have pictures of her in my profile gallery.
-My cage will be expanded to a 2x4 in order to accommodate another cavy. I'll be buying it from the store here.
-I feed 1/8 of a cup of Oxbow Adult Cavy Cuisine pellets, unlimited Oxbow orchard grass hay, and one cup of veggies a day (lettuce and green bell pepper daily, rotate other veggies).
-I have an exotics vet that has a lot of experience with guinea pigs, Dr. Faust. He has been recommended by other Guinea Lynx members here: (broken link removed)

If you need more information about me, feel free to ask!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look at Petfinder. There's one in Lima.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Thanks! She looks a lot like the first guinea pig I ever had. I contacted the SPCA about her and am waiting for a reply back.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Well, never mind. They just replied saying Emmy was adopted on Saturday, which was the day I contacted them about her. Darn. :( So the search continues...

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
What about this one: (broken link removed)

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
What about this one: (broken link removed)
I just found her earlier tonight! If I get her, it'll be a really lucky catch since I've never seen any guinea pigs for adoption in my town. I actually went to school with the girl who owns the guinea pig. She's the same age as me. She used to be a breeder... but she has a kid now and doesn't have time for that anymore, thankfully. I sent her a text, and I'm waiting for a reply. :)

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Hope you get her!

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
She's gone, too. :( I've only found four single females in the entire state, and I contacted all of them. 3 are gone, and I'm waiting for a reply on the last one. I don't know what I'm going to do if this doesn't work out.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
There are a few male guinea pigs in your area. Perhaps you could get him and neuter him?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A pig in need will show up. I guarantee you that there were pigs given as Christmas presents and some of the kids have already lost interest. Someone will be donating them to a rescue or shelter.

Have you contacted all the rescues around you and asked to be notified if a suitable pig comes in?

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
There are a few male guinea pigs in your area. Perhaps you could get him and neuter him?
Good idea, though I'd rather not spend money on a neuter so that I have more available for other vet fees. I just spent a lot of money for a vet visit and am about to spend more on a cage and fleece liners. I'm going to keep looking for a female for a while longer before I decide to go with this option, but I"m not against the idea. I did ask the Lima SPCA if their male guinea pig was still available and neutered after they said Emmy was gone, but they read my message and didn't reply.
A pig in need will show up. I guarantee you that there were pigs given as Christmas presents and some of the kids have already lost interest. Someone will be donating them to a rescue or shelter.

Have you contacted all the rescues around you and asked to be notified if a suitable pig comes in?
Not yet. I found another listing for a female this morning. I'm waiting for replies for these last two pigs. If both are gone, then I'll do that.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Okay, someone replied back, but they have two guinea pigs that need to go together. I'm considering it. Can three girls fit in a 2x4? I don't think that I can fit anything bigger in my space.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put three in a 2x4.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Could you widen your cage instead of lengthening it?

A 2.5×4 C&C gives the same square footage as a 2x5 C&C. Just something to consider!

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Could you widen your cage instead of lengthening it?

A 2.5×4 C&C gives the same square footage as a 2x5 C&C. Just something to consider!
Thanks, but I'm getting my cage from the store that way I don't have to mess with the choroplast myself. I just went ahead and ordered the 2x4. I did some measuring, and there's no way a 2x5 can fit in either of the rooms I can keep the cage in. Just the 2x4 is gonna be a tight fit.

I'm going to just stick to adopting one guinea pig, when the opportunity comes along.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I found the one! :) I'm so excited!

I was just about to give up searching for the time being when I found one more female guinea pig that was put up for adoption on that day (yesterday). Nobody got to her before I did, so I'm actually getting her! I'm just waiting for my new cage to arrive before I take her home. She's golden in color and long haired. :)

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
So glad you found a pig! Congrats! Don't forget to post pics when you get her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.