Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I'm sick; help with piggies!

• Thread starter savannahsatchel
  • Start date

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
I've had the flu for 3 days now. Other than the common sense things like wash my hands before I feed them, don't cough near their cage, etc etc, what other precautions should I take? I'd hate to see my babies get sick because of me.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've had the flu for 3 days now. Other than the common sense things like wash my hands before I feed them, don't cough near their cage, etc etc, what other precautions should I take? I'd hate to see my babies get sick because of me.
The flu is caused by a virus which is species specific so they won't catch it from you. I'd practice good hygiene by washing your hands well before feeding them and still be sure not to cough or sneeze near them in case you develop a bacterial infection which would be transmittable.

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Thank you.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Influenza is zoonotic.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
But doesn't it usually go the other way? From animal to human, instead of vice versa?

In all my years on these boards, I haven't heard of any pig getting sick from a human disease.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
<~looking up zoonotic

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
But doesn't it usually go the other way? From animal to human, instead of vice versa?

In all my years on these boards, I haven't heard of any pig getting sick from a human disease.

Humans rarely transmit anything to animals. I would guess unless you have rabies your animals are fine. I was just pointing out that it's not necessarily species specific.

ETA: I do think they are saying Ebola is likely transmissible from humans to apes and monkeys. But, that's probably for another forum's interests.

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
My baby Andy had given me dermatitis, so I'm very I guess paranoid about any type of sickness being passed from me to them and vise versa.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.