Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ohio- Anyone willing to adopt some piglets?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am in the process of making ad's for them.

I lost my soul pig, Guinness last month. Then I lost my other boy, Wrigley a week later. My heart left with them. I miss those piggy kisses and how they always knew how to comfort me.

I am trying to bond with my remaining pigs, but each time I do so I feel this void that I can't fill. My heart is just not in this anymore. I feel like a horrible piggy mom right now. I just want the best for them.

I want the best for them as I do love them.

I have Grayson, a 4 months old male. He is solo right now, due to his cage mate (Wrigley) passing away.
He needs to go to a home that has a male to be his cage mate. He is a sweetie and loves chin rubs and lap time. He is white with a gray spot near his eye and a brown spot on his side. He will come with his 2x4 cage.

Cookie, a 1 year old female that is black with a few brown spots. He is a timid girl but once you have her in your lap she settles down. She will need to go to a home where she will be with a female.

Badger and Junior are a bonded pair. Badger is a 3 year old Tri colored abby and is such a sweetie pie. Junior is 4 months old and is brown and white. Junior is pretty timid and hard to catch. Once he is in my lap, he is just fine. Badger loves his lap time. These guys come with their 2x4 cage. If you could upgrade to a larger size, that would be preferred.

All of them will come with some KMS timothy pellets, hay, and a few fleece liners.

There will be a small adoption fee, as well.

I need a trustworthy, guinea pig savvy person(s) to adopt my babies. I will not let them go to breeders. :(

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you're feeling like this :( Do you think it might be best to just put maybe, some pigs up for adoption, and focus on the one/ones you feel closest too currently? I only ask because sometimes when we're grieving, we make rash decisions and regret it later, and I don't want you to be pigless in a month or so when you're feeling better, wishing you had one to cuddle.

My boys will meet yours at the rainbow bridge and show them around :)

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you're feeling like this :( Do you think it might be best to just put maybe, some pigs up for adoption, and focus on the one/ones you feel closest too currently? I only ask because sometimes when we're grieving, we make rash decisions and regret it later, and I don't want you to be pigless in a month or so when you're feeling better, wishing you had one to cuddle.

My boys will meet yours at the rainbow bridge and show them around :)

Thank you. I am holding onto one pair as they have health issues. So, I won't be pigless. I honestly do not feel it will get better as far as the bond that I had with my other 2 rainbow bridge boys. It was such a special bond. I miss those piggy kisses. They fixed everything. :'(

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Ah, I'm glad to hear that. As hard as it is to let them all go, if you feel it's what's best for them, you're doing a very selfless and loving thing. I don't know many animal lovers who would do that in favour of the pigs, instead of being selfish and keeping them knowing they wouldn't be getting premium care anymore.

I know how you feel, I felt that way about my dog. I actually got my little ladies to help me get over missing my lovely old boy, and they're really helping. Hopefully in time you'll feel better, and can bond with your remaining pair. Remember, your boys on the rainbow bridge wouldn't want you to be sad, they'd want to see you happy giving some other pigs all the love and care you gave to them too :)

Artista

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear you are going through this. I agree with princess piggie. Maybe keep 1 or 2 that you are closest too. I've done that with birds when my baby passed. It was not good because then when I was ready again for birds, I really missed mine. You do have pets that are closer to you than others, but nothing is like a piggy you already know and love vs a brand new piggy. I would just hate for you to feel worse if you give them all up.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I am holding onto one pair as they have health issues. So, I won't be pigless. I honestly do not feel it will get better as far as the bond that I had with my other 2 rainbow bridge boys. It was such a special bond. I miss those piggy kisses. They fixed everything. :'(

Oops, took too long to type and missed this. :s You never know, things can change. It takes a long time to get over death of a loved one, especially one you felt so bonded to. I went thru this with my cockatiel TJ. That bird knew me well and when he passed, it was hard. I have his pic on top of the box of his ashes on my end table. This was in 2004. I've since found another bird that was tuned into me like that in 2006-2011. I had to give up birds to do my mental decline. They are so hard to keep tame and are very social, which I couldn't deal with so they went to a great home. The thing is, you feel like that's it, but as time goes on, you'll be filled with great memories vs grief. I'm glad to hear you are keeping a couple of them. They may not be the same as the ones you lost, but they love you and rehoming animals is really hard on them. It's like a whole new world, even if it's to a good home. At least I know this with birds, even if they are in less than ideal conditions. Give yourself time, and you're not a bad pig mom.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear you are going through this. I agree with princess piggie. Maybe keep 1 or 2 that you are closest too. I've done that with birds when my baby passed. It was not good because then when I was ready again for birds, I really missed mine. You do have pets that are closer to you than others, but nothing is like a piggy you already know and love vs a brand new piggy. I would just hate for you to feel worse if you give them all up.

It's just not the same, if that makes any sense. I know I must sound like a horrible piggy mama right now. I am planning on keeping 2 of my pigs and they have some health issues and I would only want them to go to someone I knew and who I trust with my life. It took me a month to even do lap time with my pigs. I've been balling my eyes out. I have no connection with them anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. I just feel that a new home would be best for them so they can get everything they need and want. I, of course, am taking care of them the correct way (feeding, cleaning, spending time with them, grooming, etc.). But I want more for them and I can't give at the moment. All of my other fur babies I still have a strong connection with, it's just the pigs.

They deserve someone better and someone that will bond with them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think you should give yourself more time to think it over. I can recall losing some of the guinea pigs I was most bonded to. It took me awhile to realize the unique qualities that make each of the others special and when I finally gave myself enough time, I really bonded with the others. I've been involved with a rescue for 12 years and have seen how hard it is on them when they're rehomed; even to a good home. You might not feel as bonded to them as they probably are to you. Sometimes I compare their personalities to what they'd be like if they were human. The charismatic ones are probably like the people we love being around. We're drawn to them. The ones that aren't as sweet and good natured are probably like those who are shy and maybe not as comfortable interacting with others but probably want to be cared for as much as the outgoing ones. They just don't know how to show it.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@pinky, I have been thinking about it for a while, honestly. Nothing is set it stone just yet as I haven't found anyone that wants to adopt yet (too soon). I've had this feeling since Guinness passed. I know I will miss them, but I certainly do not think I will regret it if given to a proper home. I've been battling myself over this decision, and I really feel this is for the best for them.

I know grieving is a long process, and it is getting the best of me.

pinky

Cavy Slave
@pinky, I have been thinking about it for a while, honestly. Nothing is set it stone just yet as I haven't found anyone that wants to adopt yet (too soon). I've had this feeling since Guinness passed. I know I will miss them, but I certainly do not think I will regret it if given to a proper home. I've been battling myself over this decision, and I really feel this is for the best for them.

I know grieving is a long process, and it is getting the best of me.

There's nothing that says we have to have a strong "bond" with our guinea pigs. Caring for them and being committed to them is all that they expect from us. Our guinea pigs didn't seek us out. We're the ones who chose them and offered them a forever home with us. Grieving over the loss of a pet we love is one thing, but the commitment we make to the animals we choose is another. I look at it very differently when a child that gets a pet and doesn't understand what commitment means. With an adult, I look at it very differently. Of course, there are financial hardships and things like physical hardships where a pet has to be rehomed. The pet will suffer in those instances, too, but they'd probably suffer more if they ended up staying in a home without funds to cover basic expenses or someone being unable to clean a cage or physically handle them. I can't understand choosing one pet or breed over another, though. I've had a couple of difficult guinea pigs. One was a biter and I doubt anyone would have given her a home. She never got to be a cuddly pig but allowed me to pet her with one finger on her head. I considered that to be a milestone and didn't expect her to be a lap pig. I rehomed one of mine about a year ago. She was a young one I adopted as a companion to an older female. Diglett (the older one) passed away shortly after I brought the other one here. My others wouldn't accept the young one and I didn't want her to live alone. My friend's guinea pig's companion passed away. We decided to try and pair the two and the bonded. In that case, I didn't feel like I was abandoning her but doing what what best for her, not for me.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Just saw Grayson's add on fb on Guinea Pig Zone. Makes me sad. He will have a tougher time being re-homed. He just lost his pal and now you want him to lose his life as he knows it. They don't understand. It's very emotionally hard for them. I had no choice with my birds because I was hospitalized. I was in touch with the tech who gave them to a good home, and the feedback was they didn't seem the same- even though they had a much better life with that person in terms of care than I could give. Took a ton of time, much to my surprise. I seriously would reconsider. It's like if your parents can't handle you anymore and you are rehomed into a great foster home.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Im sorry to hear this is happening to you :( Hope it all gets better for you...

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just saw Grayson's add on fb on Guinea Pig Zone. Makes me sad. He will have a tougher time being re-homed. He just lost his pal and now you want him to lose his life as he knows it. They don't understand. It's very emotionally hard for them. I had no choice with my birds because I was hospitalized. I was in touch with the tech who gave them to a good home, and the feedback was they didn't seem the same- even though they had a much better life with that person in terms of care than I could give. Took a ton of time, much to my surprise. I seriously would reconsider. It's like if your parents can't handle you anymore and you are rehomed into a great foster home.

That's exactly how I see it.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Have you considered talking with a counselor before giving up your pigs? Growing up on a large horse farm I have sworn off animals many, many, many times. I've seen a lot of animals die, and with every single one I said, " I can't do this again!". But, I can... and do. Everyone I know has felt the way you do. It's natural, and part of grief.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
There's nothing that says we have to have a strong "bond" with our guinea pigs. Caring for them and being committed to them is all that they expect from us. Our guinea pigs didn't seek us out. We're the ones who chose them and offered them a forever home with us. Grieving over the loss of a pet we love is one thing, but the commitment we make to the animals we choose is another. I look at it very differently when a child that gets a pet and doesn't understand what commitment means. With an adult, I look at it very differently. Of course, there are financial hardships and things like physical hardships where a pet has to be rehomed. The pet will suffer in those instances, too, but they'd probably suffer more if they ended up staying in a home without funds to cover basic expenses or someone being unable to clean a cage or physically handle them. I can't understand choosing one pet or breed over another, though. I've had a couple of difficult guinea pigs. One was a biter and I doubt anyone would have given her a home. She never got to be a cuddly pig but allowed me to pet her with one finger on her head. I considered that to be a milestone and didn't expect her to be a lap pig. I rehomed one of mine about a year ago. She was a young one I adopted as a companion to an older female. Diglett (the older one) passed away shortly after I brought the other one here. My others wouldn't accept the young one and I didn't want her to live alone. My friend's guinea pig's companion passed away. We decided to try and pair the two and the bonded. In that case, I didn't feel like I was abandoning her but doing what what best for her, not for me.

I know quite a few people on here will not understand why I am rehoming or why I feel this way. That's fine, though. I know I am doing this for them. For what they need and deserve. I want to see if there is another home out there that would be better than mine. To give them the extra time that I feel I can't give right now. I love all of my fur babies, it's just different with Guinness being gone. Can't really explain it, it's just deep down in my soul. After 4 guinea pig losses since last September, I just can't do it. If you feel I am abandoning them, I am sorry. I don't feel that way. I am not dropping them off at my local shelter or giving them away for free. I love them and want them to find a proper forever home.

I am also sorry if I miss read your last post. I read it as you feel I am doing this for myself and abandoning them. That is simply not the case.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I just read that Grayson's pal died a month ago. That is nothing in the grieving process especially for one you were close to. I really think it is waaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to give up on the others that you love.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I know quite a few people on here will not understand why I am rehoming or why I feel this way. That's fine, though. I know I am doing this for them. For what they need and deserve. I want to see if there is another home out there that would be better than mine. To give them the extra time that I feel I can't give right now. I love all of my fur babies, it's just different with Guinness being gone. Can't really explain it, it's just deep down in my soul. After 4 guinea pig losses since last September, I just can't do it. If you feel I am abandoning them, I am sorry. I don't feel that way. I am not dropping them off at my local shelter or giving them away for free. I love them and want them to find a proper forever home.

I am also sorry if I miss read your last post. I read it as you feel I am doing this for myself and abandoning them. That is simply not the case.

If the reason you're rehoming them is truly because you think they need extra time, don't do it. Extra time means nothing if it's in a strange environment where their prey instinct will kick in and they'll be afraid. I have 6 guinea pigs and they don't get lap time regularly. I keep their cages really clean and clip nails and pet them and give them snacks. They're happy and content. They trust me and know I'll never hurt them. They don't expect a lot. I've a few guinea pigs that I still really miss but I know all of mine need me.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
What you are feeling is totally normal. If you feel that yiu cant provide them what they need then it is only fair to fibd them a home that will. You are a great fur mama and you have to make hard decisions sometimes. This is not something youve taken lightly and I know youre doing your best

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Just so we are clear.... I did not start this thread to be beaten down, which is how I feel right about now. I AM doing my best by them being rehomed. You all can have your opinions on this. Enough is enough though. You are only making me feel worse about this whole thing. I regret posting this thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.