Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Dominance Taken Too Far? *HELP*

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
OK,
So I have two male piggies Arlo and Chewie.
Since I had them (About 2 weeks)
They have had some dominance issues. (One Piggie)
So, Chewie is very laid back and also the alpha male.
And Arlo is 2 years younger and thinks HE is the boss.
When I hand feed them their veggies Chewie is fine and LOVES me giving them to him.
He snacks away happily. But no matter what, Arlo just wants Chewie's veggies. I give him the EXACT same pice of veg as Chewie but no
matter what, He wants Chewies. (ARLO IS TAME AND TAKES VEGGIES OUT OF MY HAND WHEN IM NOT GIVING CHEWIE ANY VEG)
But when I try to give chewie his veg or hay, arlo runs over and takes it out of his mouth! Even if he has a stack full of veggies in HIS OWN bowel.
PLEASE HELP WHAT DO I DO? ASK FOR MORE INFO IF YOU NEED! IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GIVE CHEWIE HIS VEG!

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
Come on please help me? Admin?
I need to know asap!!!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
The only help I can offer is to tell you it's the middle of the night in America so maybe you could be a little more patient given that this is not exactly an emergency situation. I'm sure you will get more responses in a few more hours.

Einstein

Cavy Slave
Firstly, this isn't a life or death situation. So an answer isn't needed asap. If it were, than you could separate them or go to a vet (like if they're injured). So please calm down, it's not a big deal/emergency.

that sounds perfectly normal. I'm not an expert, but all 8 of our pigs do it and they all get along pretty well, so.. I'd say they're alright. They're called pigs for a reason

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
The reason why I am so stressed is becuase Arlo isn't eating ANY veg or pallets without picking a fight with Chewie to take his.
That isn't that normal, I'm afraid that when I don't hand feed them and just leave their bowls to eat out of (They have seperate bowls)
that a big fight will occour just becuse Arlo wants Chewie's food. Even though he has his own
@Einstein

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
@barbaramudge
I live in Australia and it's still daylight. I'm asking the people who can answer atm.
I'm sorry if I bothered you, but why on the computer in the middle of the night?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Ah yes, the grass is always greener from another piggies mouth. Just separate them when feeding veggies.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@GuineaPiggies7 I don't sleep well. I know we have members in your time zone so there's always a chance someone will be on but I think most (?) are in America so sometimes ya just gotta be patient. I wasn't bothered, just didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@GuineaPiggies7, @barbaramudge is right. Most members of this forum are in the US, and we're mostly all asleep at 2:00 a.m. Someone will answer you as soon as they see your post.

You can either separate them to feed veggies, or give Chewie another piece when Arlo takes his, or use both hands and offer them food at the same time.

You need to be weighing them regularly to make sure Chewie isn't losing weight because Arlo is stealing his food.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
And when you feed them, have their bowls at each end of the cage.

jordanbaye

Cavy Gazer
Get another cage, put a divider during feeding

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.