Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Guinea Pig Breeds and Color Patterns

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think that looks like an Abby x Ridgeback personally, only judging on the fact that he has a bit of a mohawk going on hehe.

Perhaps you've got an Abby x Ridgeback x American shorthair? Those are the three breeds I can see in there anyway!
I could see that. :)

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
Could you tell me what my new guy is? Practically all smooth except for a slight mohawk with two rosettes on his back at the end of the "mohawk". I'm pretty sure he is mostly agouti as far as coloring goes. And he is watching me from across the room. :)
He definitely looks like a ridgeback.
Ridgeback is actually not considered an official breed in the United States, Australia or UK. The ridgeback "trait" occurred accidentally (Like the satin gene) and is believed to be from an Abby/American Shorthair pair. It is rare to get a uniform ridgeback, most have rosettes.

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
So I have always wondered about the coloring pattern for my silkie, Persephone. I've never asked but since this thread resurfaced I though I'd give it a shot. When she was a baby, she was the colors that were on her face, deep brown and blackish. When she got to be an adult, her fur lightened up considerably. She does somewhat resemble the coloring of the silkie male in the previous post but different colors, but I was curious if she had an exact coloring pattern. Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
So I have always wondered about the coloring pattern for my silkie, Persephone. I've never asked but since this thread resurfaced I though I'd give it a shot. When she was a baby, she was the colors that were on her face, deep brown and blackish. When she got to be an adult, her fur lightened up considerably. She does somewhat resemble the coloring of the silkie male in the previous post but different colors, but I was curious if she had an exact coloring pattern. Thank you so much in advance!
He looks like he has tortoiseshell and white coloring, he's gorgeous.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@missguineaginns I have no idea on the coloring but she is beautiful!!!! I would love to look at more pictures of her! Super cute!!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
There are so many beautiful piggies here. Very fun thread! :)

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
Thank you! [MENTION=30011]LuvCavysLuvCats[/MENTION]
The vet awwed and oooood over her. They were taking pictures and everything.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Is Truffle still considered self black even if his butt, and I mean you can only see it if you pick him up there is like a 1 inch area right where the umm 'action' happens, is red? I am sure he is a mix of some sort, pet store piggie, should have known better considering I know all about pet store puppies. Though I do consider him an abby, there just are not many cowlicks.

I don't really take photos of that area, put this is what Truffle looks like.

Attachments

IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0388.jpg

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Is it possible the black is bleached out from pee stains? Like if you were to shave it would the hair grow in red or black? If he is not 100% black I do not think that is considered a self. Then he would be a black and red so far as I know.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I believe she would be called a brown, black and lilac tri-roan silky guinea pig.

GuineaNation

Cavy Slave
Do you know anything more about the Lakeland guinea pig? When I got my first piggies one of them had very curly hair, and I thought she was a teddy. But about a month to two months later she had mostly straight hair. What do you think?

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
I believe she would be called a brown, black and lilac tri-roan silky guinea pig.

Thank you! That's quite a mouthful!

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Is it possible the black is bleached out from pee stains? Like if you were to shave it would the hair grow in red or black? If he is not 100% black I do not think that is considered a self. Then he would be a black and red so far as I know.

I will take a quick look at the roots. He was sick and had been having diarrhea, all better now, so that is a possibility. He may just be a very oddly patterned black and red though.

Traysea

Cavy Slave

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Well, out of curiosity I posted this to one of my other groups and while I was very close (it appears from the photos to still be a tri-roan silky) Genetically since you can't have lilac and black on the same pig. What comes off as looking lilac, they are saying is a mixing of black and white or cream (or buff). If I get more answers I will share them as well!

If it helps I think you'd say "tri-roan silky", the colors black, brown and lilac in the "tri" part of that.

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
Well, out of curiosity I posted this to one of my other groups and while I was very close (it appears from the photos to still be a tri-roan silky) Genetically since you can't have lilac and black on the same pig. What comes off as looking lilac, they are saying is a mixing of black and white or cream (or buff). If I get more answers I will share them as well!

Thank you so much for helping me figure this out. I really appreciate it! In the long run I know coloring isn't that big of a deal but its nice to know. All my other piggies are very easy to figure out but she has always confused me. And I do think she has some cream on her but it could be black and white mixed I suppose. She also has an amazing personality. She will sit still for a good 15-20 minutes if I'm trimming or doing butt baths on her:) thanks again for your help!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
My coronets are the same way, very mellow piggies. From what I understand long hairs are bred to be mellower because the mellow ones do better on the show table. In order to show longhairs most exhibitors keep their hair wrapped up in little rolled up packets, (kinda sad way to live I would think). Show pig hair is not allowed to be cut and if they are left loose they can stain, mat or get chewed none of which is allowed to be trimmed to neaten up. So I think that is why the long haired breeds are mellower (at least where coronets and silkies are concerned, not sure about peruvians) Wild pigs would jump off the show table or be difficult to wrap.

My teddy on the other hand has a ton of spunk. Very outgoing, playful and active. Also has a shorter temper LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.