Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I dropped my guinea pig and want to make sure he's okay.

jeanniej04

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I came onto this website to find out if my guinea pig is okay. I was getting romaine lettuce for my piggy with him in my grasp, but I lost my balance and he ended up being dropped onto the kitchen floor. It was about a 3 ft drop. I immediately picked him up and he wasn't in shock or anything. So I put him onto his pillow and examined him thoroughly to check for any broken teeth, broken nails, any difference in walking, etc. He is eating well and walking perfectly fine but he has a wound on the left side of his lip/mouth. Should I be more worried than I already am? How long will this wound take for him to heal?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I would make an appointment with his vet to make sure he is okay. If that were my pig, that is definitely what I would be doing. That's a long fall and the kitchen floor is probably hard tile or wood. A physical exam by the vet may be all he needs. Pigs are good at hiding pain so he may not be showing you that he is truly hurting.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Agreed. You will want to make sure there are no broken bones with a vet. Pigs are very good at hiding pain.

Also [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], do you want to move this thread to med/vet?, or is it okay where it is?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he's moving, eating and pooping normally, I'd just watch him carefully and get him to a vet only if he shows any signs of distress.

Pay special attention to the cut on the side of his mouth. If you see any signs of infection (swelling, redness, heat, odor, pus or drainage), get him to a vet ASAP for antibiotics.

And FYI, you should always carry your pig so that he can't wriggle out of your hands or you can't drop him. Pigs have eyes on the side of their heads, which means they have little to no depth perception. Six inches, six feet -- it's all the same to them. They really can't judge heights, so have no fear of them. If I have to carry a pig one-handed, I do so with its back against my chest and one hand is holding the pig firmly close to me.

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
I dropped a guinea pig I used to have (he died from cancer) I tripped going down the stairs and he fell 6-8 feet tumbling down the stairs same as me I was scared I was going to land on him luckily I didn’t crush him while falling and he didn’t break anything I think he was bruised badly like me because he was a little lazy for a couple days

guinea pigs are very smart and he was scared to be held or go up or down stairs for a week

I hope yours is okay

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.