Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Dream herd!?

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
So I now have eleven guinea pigs and I'm just not where I want to be my dream herd would be to have a herd of 20+ pigs.. Insane!? Maybe! Lol I will one day fulfill my dream but at this point my unsteady job pays for the ones I have and I'm just not willing to risk getting many more pigs and not being able to pay vet bills also I still live with my parents (which I don't mind at all I'm still young and don't have to pay bills) my brother also sort of kinda not so much still lives here really he mostly lives with his girlfriend while his stuff is all still here.. Once he moves out completely we will be breaking down a piece of the wall from my room to his to make one big room and I think that's when I will begin to expand my herd and my cage hopefully to a 5X8/6x8! Anyone else with a dream herd? If so how many? And what's the most you've had at once? Would you ever have that many again?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
I only have 2 guinea pigs at the moment, but I would dream of having a herd of four or five. I couldn't imagine having eleven - too much fluff and cuteness!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have 8 of my own guinea pigs at the moment. It's my dream that they could all be in one big herd...but they can't because of the multiple males..but It's still so wonderful having them in their male trio and the herd of 4 girls and an de-sexed boy.

No more. 8 and 12 guinea pigs plus two more coming tomorrow in the rescue is enough time, money and space. Hopefully the rescue numbers will go down...they just need to be adopted!

clb89

Cavy Slave
I'm probably going to be the odd person out, but I already have my dream herd. I only have two males, but they are both very sweet with big personality. I can't imagine having a big herd, and kudos to those who can do it, I just don't want to do it lol.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I forgot what it was like to only have two haha! Im more of a person that keeps to myself and I find my animals more comforting than people! I personally prefer time with my animals than time with people! :)

@RodentCuddles I wish I had a rescue! So many people around here don't care about guinea pigs and the closest rescue to me is 5-6 hours away :(

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@TacoBellWinnieP well the thing is my parents at one point were not ok with it just two years ago I couldn't even get a hamster so never did I once think I would have 11 guinea pigs now! So after I was able to convince them to let me get my first pair through that I was able to show responsibility, a parent never wants to end up having to take care of something you want and they don't since that's most likely what has happened in the past! So after showing all responsibility and taking control of my animals their cost and their needs I was able to show responsibility and I think that made them a little bit more comfortable knowing that I knew it was all on me to do it all and I can say sometimes its still a struggle with my parents but they know that my animals are my life and they know how compassionate I am with them and I think it just takes time and compromise! Never get upset when they tell you no you will never accomplish anything like that when they say no just say ok and leave it at that and eventually try again! It took me four years to get my first two and then within a year I ended up with 11!

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I never thought about having one of each breed that would be awesome! I would love to have a herd of Abbys they are just so adorable! It would be a dream of my to have all my males ,neutered of course, and females live together but all of my males just don't like each other so I'm pretty sure it'd never work out but it would be amazing! :)

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I have 2 males right now and really want to expand my herd.. Do you think parents would be more accepting of getting 2 females and dividing my cage, or getting more boys? Both my boys are pretty laid back, but I've heard if there's a female in heat near them that they will fight and I don't want that. Plus, my first boys attitude completely changed when I got my second pig 2 months ago.. he doesn't wheek anymore and rarely popcorns. He spends his entire day rumblestrutting. I wouldn't want to break my boys' bond by adding more boys though? which would be the best idea so when I approach my parents with it I know exactly what gender I want to adopt. There's also more girls in shelters near me than boys.. Maybe I should just get a rabbit? lol I've always wanted one but my mom's allergic and I get allergys when near my friends rabbit, but she also has cats so i'm not sure which I'm getting allergies to.. Lol sorry for the rant! @Pawesomepet btw, love your name! How creative!

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs right now, but I would love to have a herd of 3-5, all different breeds.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
@Fizzlepop40 I have 2 boys, and American and an abby, and I would really like a couple of each kind! Well, maybe not Peruvian, because I've heard they're hard to care for because they need constant grooming.. Hopefully I heard wrong!!..?

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@TacoBellWinnieP depending on your males personalities depends on how they will act I have a pair of males that don't even care that there are 7 other females in the room.. The most effective way I have found this to work is making sure that the females and males cages are at different levels for example I've got 5 females on the ground and 2 are up a grid and the boys are up a couple grids up(if that makes sense)! As far as adding males that's a little tricky because again it depends on their personality all of my pigs prefer to be in small groups which is why my largest is only a trio of girls the rest are in pairs my males especially prefer pairs over trio/herd which I hate but it all comes down to their happiness! If you aren't confident in putting more males in I wouldn't try it! If you decide females again the best thing is to have cages at different levels! What I'm trying to get at is just because females are in the same room as males does not mean males will fight!

As far as rabbits they make amazing pets but unfortunately far too often do I see people with both piggies and rabbits and the piggies are treated like royalty and the rabbits are just "another animal" rabbits can be sociable animals and love each others company but in order to do this the best thing would be spaying/neutering.. With a female she should be spayed whether she's going to be with other rabbits or not because females can get ovarian cancer easily. Rabbits, like guinea pigs, shouldn't be in pet store cages and shouldn't be outside and again like guinea pigs need hay 24/7! If you know all of that and you are up for the challenge of a rabbit I'd say go for it they make great pets! Also with having male and female guinea pigs and having them in the same room a lot of people do it with no problem such as myself! And thanks so much! :) oh and as far as the peruvian my white peruvian has to get baths more often and get brushed and trimmed about every weekish or so! Sorry I took so long to reply I'm on my phone which makes this very difficult! Lol

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs right now, but I would love to have a herd of 3-5, all different breeds.
I've got coronets, peruvian x, short haired American, Satin American, long haired American, and an Abbysinian!

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
I have to girls right now, but hope to adopt 4 or 5 more for now. Eventually I hope to adopt 10 and up, though I might need to build and additional cage.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I have to girls right now, but hope to adopt 4 or 5 more for now. Eventually I hope to adopt 10 and up, though I might need to build and additional cage.
It's nice to know I'm not alone in wanting lots of piggies lol :)

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I would gladly have a herd of 11!! I currently have 3 sows and I battled for a fourth for a while but they have consented to three and that's enough for now in their minds. I'm gonna try again in a year though!
My dream heard would probably be around 10 (I would LOVE it to be all boars, but that's a little far fetched lol), also with a male/female pair of peruvians, texels, and chocolate agouti americans! I'm probably going to end up having the herd as free range though, once I can get it that is lol I pigsit 3 other sows sometimes and its super fun!

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
My dream herd is just piggies who get along! Boy would that be nice!

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I'd love to say I'm happy with just my two boys but when I'm older I want a farm house and all the animals I could possibly have! When I got my first guinea pig I came across this website; (broken link removed)
I thought "Wow, so many guinea pigs living like royalty, that's nuts!" but deep down I was so excited and to this day I idol them. I want a little guinea house just like theirs.
(broken link removed)

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@aeiou I would love just to have my 4 males together but they're just like nope not happening! Lol I've got one free range piggie (only because of circumstances that happened she became aggressive) but I would love it if I could free range all my piggies!

@Agrimony tell me about it I've got 11 pigs all in pairs a trio and two singles (aggression) I would love to have them all together :(

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.