Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Need new store to shop at

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I am boycotting PetSmart and Petco because of how cruel they are to their animals (Who's with me!🙂) But I need a new pet store to shop at for my Piggies Amazon.com does not carry the brand's I buy (Both food and bedding) so I am looking for a new pet store. Anybody know any close to San Luis Obispo, California (Area code: 93405)? Thanks!!!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
What brands are you buying that Amazon doesn't have?! I didn't think there was anything in a store that they didn't carry.

Fay

Cavy Slave
What bedding do you use? You could consider switching over to fleece with uhaul/wood pellets underneath it which can also work out much cheaper in the long run, you can read about that option in the Fleece section of these forums. As for food and hay the best pellets out there that we regularly recommend on these forums are KMS hayloft pellets (their hay is good too) both of which can only be ordered online and the price will work out roughly the same to what you end up paying for food and hay at the pet store.

(broken link removed)

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
What brands are you buying that Amazon doesn't have?! I didn't think there was anything in a store that they didn't carry.
I use Great Choice Aspen bedding and Great Choice Guinea Pig food. I have already tried using force and it is not the right fit.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Why don't you try oxbow for guinea pig pellets?

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
My Piggies are used to Great Choice

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
The only pellets that seem high quality are kms and oxbow. I used to feed my girls kaytee until I found it it was crap. So I switched over. And it turns out my pigs like oxbow more!

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
OK well I don't want to go through the hassle of switching over

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
The way I did it was that I fed them the new bag when the old bag ran out. No mixing, or anything. I know that you're hinting that I should stop, but when I fed them oxbow it really gave me a peace of mind knowing that they were eating a good brand.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Im looking for pet stores or online stores that carry the brand i like! I am not ​going through the hassle of switching my pigs over!!! If you know any pet stores that carry the brands i like, by all means tell me!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your pigs are over six months old, the Great Choice pellets are not good for them. They're alfalfa based, and are appropriate only for young pigs and nursing sows. Older pigs should have plain timothy pellets.

Edited to add: Forgot to say that alfalfa shouldn't be used for older pigs because it has too much calcium and can contribute to bladder stones.

Last edited:

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Great choice is petsmart's store brand. You can't get it anywhere else. And the food is terrible quality. Switching food is not a hassle. Just buy the new food and give it to them.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I use Great Choice Aspen bedding and Great Choice Guinea Pig food. I have already tried using force and it is not the right fit.

I have no idea what you are referring to when you say "already tried using force". Unless, given your name, you're talking about "The Force" in which case I'm still not sure how to respond. My comment was more about my shock that Amazon wouldn't have something. Now I see you are looking to buy a store brand product outside of that store. Not gonna happen. Not even using the force.

Come away from the Dark Side and get the Oxbow or KMS pellets online. Or at least at Walmart or something. As Yoda says, "Do or do not, there is no try."

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what you are referring to when you say "already tried using force". Unless, given your name, you're talking about "The Force" in which case I'm still not sure how to respond. My comment was more about my shock that Amazon wouldn't have something. Now I see you are looking to buy a store brand product outside of that store. Not gonna happen. Not even using the force.

Come away from the Dark Side and get the Oxbow or KMS pellets online. Or at least at Walmart or something. As Yoda says, "Do or do not, there is no try."

I think she was trying to say fleece?! But I like your version better!! LOL

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I think she was trying to say fleece?! But I like your version better!! LOL

Omg, fleece...my brain didn't go there at all. I'm a bit of a Star Wars nerd so with Droid being in the name and then force, I couldn't go anywhere else with it...lol. Oh well, my comment still applies in the end.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am boycotting PetSmart and Petco because of how cruel they are to their animals (Who's with me!🙂) But I need a new pet store to shop at for my Piggies Amazon.com does not carry the brand's I buy (Both food and bedding) so I am looking for a new pet store. Anybody know any close to San Luis Obispo, California (Area code: 93405)? Thanks!!!

So you either quit your boycott and go back to the store brand or stop being defiant and try one of the better brands offered to you as there is no real hassle at all. Just you buying a healthier brand for the pigs you have and their age now.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that I thought you had to switch pellets slowly and transition like dogs, but it turns out you don't. The only reason you have to do that for dogs is because they will throw up. Guinea pigs can't throw up, so they don't need the transition. They transition really well with almost all food without any mixing of any sort.

When I first got Oxbow, it was right after I ran out of pellets so I just gave my pigs some and said "well here goes nothing." They weren't hurt at all, the only change was they loved it and ate it really fast. The only actual hassle is buying the food and taking the time to put it in their bowl. Boom, you're done.

So overall pros for oxbow: Healthier, most pigs love them, can be cheaper when you buy in bulk, timothy based for adult gps, lower calcium to avoid bladder stones (you'll pay much more for surgery than a bag of this), recommended
Cons: Sometimes people think it's a "snooty" brand and are reluctant to switch, if you buy smaller bags it's more expensive (but sometimes lasts longer)

Pros for your food: Cheap, your pigs are used to it, you like it
Cons: Alfalfa based (should only be used for pigs 6mo and under), only sold at the pet store you are boycotting, overall unhealthier

Just a thought, you know? Maybe you should consider switching. :)

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that I thought you had to switch pellets slowly and transition like dogs, but it turns out you don't. The only reason you have to do that for dogs is because they will throw up. Guinea pigs can't throw up, so they don't need the transition. They transition really well with almost all food without any mixing of any sort.

When I first got Oxbow, it was right after I ran out of pellets so I just gave my pigs some and said "well here goes nothing." They weren't hurt at all, the only change was they loved it and ate it really fast. The only actual hassle is buying the food and taking the time to put it in their bowl. Boom, you're done.
FINE YOU ALL CONVINCED ME!
I WILL SWITCH TO OXBOW (if my parents let me)

So overall pros for oxbow: Healthier, most pigs love them, can be cheaper when you buy in bulk, timothy based for adult gps, lower calcium to avoid bladder stones (you'll pay much more for surgery than a bag of this), recommended
Cons: Sometimes people think it's a "snooty" brand and are reluctant to switch, if you buy smaller bags it's more expensive (but sometimes lasts longer)

Pros for your food: Cheap, your pigs are used to it, you like it
Cons: Alfalfa based (should only be used for pigs 6mo and under), only sold at the pet store you are boycotting, overall unhealthier

Just a thought, you know? Maybe you should consider switching. :)

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
YOU CONVINCED ME!!!! I AM SWITCHING TO OXBOW!!! (didint know great choice was petsmart brand never going to buy THAT again :). Anybody know any good aspen bedding you can find online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.