Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Colonel is squeaking when he pees

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I find water easier to give from 1 cc syringes. They're easier to control, and easier to see how much you're giving. I give about .25 cc at a time, and usually leave the syringe in the side of the mouth until the pig has swallowed.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I find water easier to give from 1 cc syringes. They're easier to control, and easier to see how much you're giving. I give about .25 cc at a time, and usually leave the syringe in the side of the mouth until the pig has swallowed.

Thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], I'll try that tonight. I've been sitting here for an hour trying to get myself settled enough to try it. It really did scare me last night. His urine tonight looks pretty clear so hopefully that means we're working our way to better. Feels like it's going to be a long couple weeks with him being so irritated and squirmy. I don't know why I have so much trouble controlling something so small!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I was going to order some on Amazon. I have some 3 & 5 but the tip is super short because there's meant to be a needle screwed on. My friend brought me them from work because we thought maybe we could cut the little collar part off to make the end more exposed but we couldn't do it without breaking them.

You are still in Connecticut right [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]? Cause if you've moved closer I would be there in a heartbeat! I really do wish I had someone like you or [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] close to me. I'm a good researcher and a quick study but sometimes there's just nothing better than a hands on demo for me. This feels like trying to learn electrical. I understand how it works, I know what to do but the doing is harder in practice and it feels like a mistake can be deadly. It's an environment that my anxiety thrives in.

I did use the 1cc syringe last night as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] suggested and it was better. At least I didn't feel like I was going to drown him but by the 5th one he was pretty pissed off about it so I don't feel like I got enough in him.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Questions/concerns:

Colonel is still crying when he pees and poops. He's been on the Baytril for a week as of tomorrow. I haven't heard him cry in his cage, which doesn't mean he's not, but it seems like it's mostly after I syringe him his water. He also was very sensitive about his belly afterwards.

Since my only experience is with my own UTI's I'm making some assumptions. A: having a full bladder is way more uncomfortable than an empty one. B: the discomfort should be minimal 1/2 way through treatment.

So my questions are: Should I be calling the vet again tomorrow? Should I be syringing less water, say 5cc instead of 10cc, but doing it more often throughout the day?

He is definitely still peeing, quite a bit actually, so I know he's not blocked by an unseen stone and it seems to be clear, not pink. Still eating great, begging for veggies, and as active as usual. I just don't want to miss anything or make it harder on him than need be. Thanks again!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'd call the vet, with antibiotics he should be mostly better and not in pain by now. He probably needs a different antibiotic or a combination of 2 antibiotics. Poor baby, I hope he feels better soon!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe he's got interstitial cystitis, which the antibiotics wouldn't touch. Did the vet consider that?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Maybe he's got interstitial cystitis, which the antibiotics wouldn't touch. Did the vet consider that?

Not that she mentioned, though she may if I call her. He had bacteria and a bit of blood in the urine, no crystals, no stones on ultrasound so she assumed basic infection. I guess I'll call and see what she says.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Day 10 on the baytril. Yesterday was the first time we had no crying while peeing or pooping at all, no sitting puffed up or teeth chattering. Today was the first time I've seen him use the water bottle at all since this started. He only took a couple sips so I'll still be syringing. Syringing is much easier now with [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] syringes she sent and some additional carrot juice mixed in. I'm hopeful that in the next day or two he will start drinking again. I'm suppose to all the vet again on Friday to discuss whether or not we will continue the baytril an extra week or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Woohoo! Colonel is drinking! I'd say he drank about an ounce and 1/2 today all on his own! I'm thinking I won't torture him with syringing water tonight and see how he's doing tomorrow with his drinking.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That is great news!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Colonel has developed another stone. Confirmed on X-ray. Our choices are another surgery or make him comfortable until we can't. Both of those choices suck. I always said I wouldn't do another surgery. It's much harder to follow through. He's my sweet boy. He's only 3. He's healthy otherwise. Yet we only made it just over a year since the first one. I don't know what to do. We just got done trying to save Fudgie. My husband will let me do what I want but I can tell he's worried out racking up debt for guinea pigs. I don't think he would be upset if there was some guarantee that this would work and it would all be ok. But there's not. I'm so sad. I hate this.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. Some pigs will just have stones no matter what, and it really does suck big time.

It may or may not help you make up your mind if you know that the second surgeries are more risky than the first, with a greater likelihood of the stones recurring. But it's not certain that they will, so it's not a clear decision.

I just recently read an article about a research project which inoculated mice against e. coli, a very common gut bacteria, to prevent stones. The results are promising, but no one's yet done any testing in guinea pigs. It sure would be nice if a vaccine could prevent all the pain and expense that the pigs and the owners go through.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Would you do it [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], if it was your pig? The vet didn't mention the increase in risk or likelihood of reoccurrence. Though she may have assumed I already knew that.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that you're in this position with Colonel.

I have a stone pig and if she develops a stone that requires surgery, I don't think I would put her through it. I would opt to make her comfortable or humanely euthanize if/when necessary.

Her circumstances are a bit different though, she's around 6 years old and has had 5 episodes of stones in the past 2 years. Her first stone was massive but she somehow passed it on her own the night before her surgery and her subsequent stones have been tiny and she has passed them with fluids and meds.

I will say, whatever you decide to do is appropriate. He likely has a high chance of reoccurance and it can be a very pricey surgery. If you decide euthanasia is best for your situation, there is nothing wrong with it. Likewise if you decide to try another surgery with him. It's an incredibly difficult situation to be in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I did have a pig like that, with a recurring stone after surgery. She also had a bladder infection, and we were trying to clear it up while trying to decide what to do. She passed away before I had to make a decision about the surgery.

Like [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION] says, it's a terrible position to have to be in. I think you have to weigh his age, your finances, his general health, and whether there's anything else that could possibly be done to prevent another recurrence before making up your mind. You've given him excellent care, and either option you choose would be reasonable.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, you've certainly had a rough time lately. You're in a tough situation but you love your piggies, I'm sure whatever you decide will be the best and right thing to do for Colonel.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
No, oh no no no. Poor Colonel. Poor you. There was that piggie on Dr K's Exotic vet who was on his 3rd or 4th stone surgery. My thoughts are with you and Colonel!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
:( I just don't know what do. I guess I'm going sit with it for a day or two. If I do the surgery it wouldn't happen till next Thursday anyway. I appreciate all your responses. I'll keep you posted. I'm going to post his X-ray pics when I get them. Just for informational purposes for others. Oh, I almost forgot. She got his penis to extrude way better than I have and cleaned this thick white stuff off it. She looked at it under the scope and said there was a couple different bacteria types in it. One of which (rods) she didn't like so she gave me baytril just to be on the safe side.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Pics arrived:
cdc409ae882f160c11e6610c64e2d3bf.jpg

c8cd8bc88f6f3d7cfeceb7f4ef13fbc9.jpg

miniver

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to about Colonel. You've really had a hard time of it lately. It can wear you down, emotionally, physically and financially.

I think most of us with a recurring medical issue have made the same promise to ourselves. If it happens again, I'll let him/her pass peacefully. You're right, it's a different decision when you're actually faced with another reoccurrence. In the end, only you can make that choice. I thought I had resolved to let her pass and then moved heaven and earth and my credit card to save my girl. She recovered but it very easily could have gone the other way.

From what I've seen of your posts on this forum, you are informed and rational. You also have a big heart. I'm sure you'll make the best choice for you and Colonel.

Sending good wishes your way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.