Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Curious about something regarding guinea pig size

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I have 3 pigs, Ikarus (altered male), Freya, and Sigyn.
Sigyn is about 8 months old and Ikarus and Freya are 1 year and 3 months old. Ikarus and Freya are both over 1,000g in weight and Sigyn is 850g, but she is still so small!
She was the runt in Freya's unplanned litter, but I'm curious if she may have stunted growth? She's perfectly healthy and ridiculously crazy for a blind guinea pig, she's just very oddly small compared to the size Ikarus and Freya were at her age.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you looked at the kids around you lately? Are they all the same height and weight at the same age?

Guinea pigs have as much variation as people do, albeit over a much narrower range. Sigyn is also nearly six months younger than the other two, and she's not full grown. I wouldn't expect her to weigh nearly as much as they do.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I've also heard that different types of piggies can be different average sizes, where Abbys are bigger than teddies and Rexs are bigger than Abbys, ect ect. Even among brothers and sisters I've heard of one male from the litter being twice as big as another, things like that.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Have you looked at the kids around you lately? Are they all the same height and weight at the same age?

Guinea pigs have as much variation as people do, albeit over a much narrower range. Sigyn is also nearly six months younger than the other two, and she's not full grown. I wouldn't expect her to weigh nearly as much as they do.

I asked the question out of curiosity, not stupidity or worry for her well being. Please don't talk to me like I'm incompetent. I know her weight is normal, it's her body size I was curious about.

After being a member on here for close to a year now and having spoken with you on several occasions you come off very rude and irritated by the simplest of questions and topics. People come here for help, curiosity, to share experiences, to make friends in the guinea pig community, and just to have fun in general. You don't need to be so rude right off the bat. I stated in the title AND the opening post that this thread was out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I've also heard that different types of piggies can be different average sizes, where Abbys are bigger than teddies and Rexs are bigger than Abbys, ect ect. Even among brothers and sisters I've heard of one male from the litter being twice as big as another, things like that.

Her parents (Freya and Ikarus) are mix of teddy and american so she's a mix of Teddy and American short hair as well:) She has slight a teddy nose and american short hair coat whereas her brother, Benedict, has every teddy characteristic there is and he was HUGE even at just 3 months old (and according to the friends we gave him to, he's gigantic now).

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wasn't implying that you were stupid. But you'd be surprised at the number of guinea pig owners that think all guinea pigs should be the same size and weight. But they're like every other species -- some larger, some smaller, some fatter, some thinner, some taller, some shorter.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
My Hermes was still only 1 pound (about 450g?) at 6 months old. He ended up have a late growth spurt and maxed out around 2.6 pounds full sized.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I was curious at one point about my pigs sizes and charlottes lack of weight gain last week. I also have always wondered why Pansy is so much smaller than her sister. But they're all happy and healthy. I don't see anything wrong with asking out of curiosity. I think it makes for interesting discussion. :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I asked the question out of curiosity, not stupidity or worry for her well being. Please don't talk to me like I'm incompetent. I know her weight is normal, it's her body size I was curious about.

After being a member on here for close to a year now and having spoken with you on several occasions you come off very rude and irritated by the simplest of questions and topics. People come here for help, curiosity, to share experiences, to make friends in the guinea pig community, and just to have fun in general. You don't need to be so rude right off the bat. I stated in the title AND the opening post that this thread was out of curiosity.

I gotta tell ya, I didn't read [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] response in a rude tone at all. Not even a little. She was giving you an example that was easily relatable. Maybe you need to start shifting your perspective instead of assuming people intend to be rude. Just a thought.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I gotta tell ya, I didn't read @bpatters response in a rude tone at all. Not even a little. She was giving you an example that was easily relatable. Maybe you need to start shifting your perspective instead of assuming people intend to be rude. Just a thought.

It can be difficult sometimes to decipher someone's tone through a post on a forum. It's not like if you were talking face to face with someone, you can read their facial expressions and listen to the sound of their voice. While some people may think it's coming off as rude, others don't think so at all. Unless there is some kind of clarification from the poster, it can be hard to tell.

I don't think anybody's intention was to be rude in the first place. I think what's said is said and we should move past it.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
It can be difficult sometimes to decipher someone's tone through a post on a forum. It's not like if you were talking face to face with someone, you can read their facial expressions and listen to the sound of their voice. While some people may think it's coming off as rude, others don't think so at all. Unless there is some kind of clarification from the poster, it can be hard to tell.

I don't think anybody's intention was to be rude in the first place. I think what's said is said and we should move past it.

I agree, which is why I suggested she approach from a different perspective.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.