Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Guinea pig wont stop mounting new one

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
Just make sure you do the full 21 day quarantine. Separate room and behind closed doors. As long as you don't intend for all 3 boars to live together in the same cage, you should be fine.

Yeah, I know. I wasn’t really asking about putting him in the same cage as Thor and Loki though. As much as I’d love for all of them to be together, I’m not sure he will be staying with them. He’s huge compared to them and could easily hurt them and he’s been alone for two years before I got him. I’m going to try to though but I’m also aware that I’ll probably have to keep him separate, at least until my babies get bigger.

i was wondering about Thor though, why he suddenly doesn’t want to be pet anymore.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The same thing happened to me when one of my boars got a buddy. They just prefer piggy company to human company. My feelings were hurt at first, but it's normal.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I know. I wasn’t really asking about putting him in the same cage as Thor and Loki though. As much as I’d love for all of them to be together, I’m not sure he will be staying with them. He’s huge compared to them and could easily hurt them and he’s been alone for two years before I got him. I’m going to try to though but I’m also aware that I’ll probably have to keep him separate, at least until my babies get bigger.

3 boars living together doesn't work but it's not because of their size. It's because it's 3 males. It doesn't matter their size. 3 males together in a cage doesn't work.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
3 boars living together doesn't work but it's not because of their size. It's because it's 3 males. It doesn't matter their size. 3 males together in a cage doesn't work.

Yeah, I do recall seeing this. I didn’t really want to get another pig in the first place but when I saw he was being neglected I had to help him. I’ve seen though that it is possible to House all of them in the same cage. I have a pretty big cage for them and I am building another huge cage and adding it on to Thor and Loki’s cage. I’m sure that it won’t work in the end but I’d still like to try to keep them all together.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that there is NO rule that says three boars can't live together given a lot of room. There are always exceptions to the "rule" and you could be one of them. Lots of folks here on the forum have tried boar trios and they didn't work out. They are just trying to prepare you for what may be a frustrating and unsuccessful venture. If you have the heart, time and patience, no one would blame you for trying. Wish you luck!

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that there is NO rule that says three boars can't live together given a lot of room. There are always exceptions to the "rule" and you could be one of them. Lots of folks here on the forum have tried boar trios and they didn't work out. They are just trying to prepare you for what may be a frustrating and unsuccessful venture. If you have the heart, time and patience, no one would blame you for trying. Wish you luck!

Thank you so much! I really hope it works out because I’d love for my new piggy, Bugsby, to finally have some friends after being alone for so long. Thor and Loki did take quite a bit to finally get together since they both were very dominant and Thor was a bit aggressive and I’m willing to try with Bugsby but I have also accepted that he might have to be separated from them.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
Im having issues with dominance again! Thor and Loki haven?t been getting along lately, then I unfortunately had to separate them because thor had and abscess which popped. My vet thinks it was Loki who bit him and caused the abscess because he had two holes where the abscess was and I think he was right, which could explain why they suddenly werent getting along. They had went from never wanting to leave each others sides and always sleeping together and everything to wanting nothing to do with each other. I think it might be Thors fault because he likes to follow the other pigs around and never leave them alone and they start to get annoyed but Loki was constantly nipping at him out of nowhere so I think he nipped him and caused the abscess. Thor?s abscess healed up and I tried putting them back together and Thor was doing his thing where he chases Loki and will not leave him alone whatsoever and it goes on forever and Loki will just cry and whine the whole time and I tried to just let them work it out but Thor will just not stop. I gave up with Thor and Loki and separated them again because I don?t want Loki to hurt him again. So I tried Thor and Bugsby. They seem to get along better than Thor and Loki were but Thor again, doesn?t leave the others alone. Everytime Bugsby tries to lay down Thor starts stuff again and they end up running around and Bugsby starts to get grumpy. Bugsby never nips at Thor though, but for some reason he puts up with Thor. Loki and Bugsby don?t get along at all because Loki is kinda like Thor when it comes to him chasing Bugsby around but Bugsby will not put up with Loki and goes after him so I can?t keep Bugsby and Loki together. I?m sure I can make a Thor and Bugsby work but the problem is both of them are just fine being alone! I had to have all three of them separated when?s thor had his abscess and the only one who seemed affected by being alone was Loki because he?s never been alone at all. Bugsby was alone for 2 years with his precious owners and Thor has been alone for a month or so but Loki has never been alone and I?m worried because Loki seems depressed by himself and I really can?t get another guinea pig, especially risking it doesn?t get along with Loki. I tried to put Thor and Loki together again, but it was like really really bad this time. Thor got extremely aggressive, like nothing I?ve ever seen before and he was chattering his teeth so loud and went right after Loki and I grabbed him quickly and took him away because he was also chattering his teeth and I think if I hadn?t separated them there would have been blood. I tried a buddy bath with Thor and Loki as well. They got along okay in the tub but it didn?t change anything when they got out. I really don?t know what to do. I thought at first that because it?s spring that might be a factor bu I don?t think it is because he?s getting on fine with Bugsby. Would Loki biting Thor cause Thor to be this aggressive towards him? I really don?t know what to do at this point I don?t want to keep Loki alone! Their cage is really big, it?s a 4X4 grid connected to a 2X3, and there?s a 2X4 top floor so I don?t think space is the issue. I?m really worried about Loki because he just wants to sleep in the corner of his cage now and he occasionally runs around his cage and he gets up to eat when I feed him but he just seems really depressed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to copy and paste that into another post on this thread and break it up into paragraphs with double spaces between them. Walls of text are too hard to read.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
Im having issues with dominance again! Thor and Loki havent been getting along lately, then I unfortunately had to separate them because thor had and abscess which popped. My vet thinks it was Loki who bit him and caused the abscess because he had two holes where the abscess was and I think he was right, which could explain why they suddenly werent getting along. They had went from never wanting to leave each others sides and always sleeping together and everything to wanting nothing to do with each other.

I think it might be Thors fault because he likes to follow the other pigs around and never leave them alone and they start to get annoyed but Loki was constantly nipping at him out of nowhere so I think he nipped him and caused the abscess.

Thors abscess healed up and I tried putting them back together and Thor was doing his thing where he chases Loki and will not leave him alone whatsoever and it goes on forever and Loki will just cry and whine the whole time and I tried to just let them work it out but Thor will just not stop. I gave up with Thor and Loki and separated them again because I dont want Loki to hurt him again.

So I tried Thor and Bugsby. They seem to get along better than Thor and Loki were but Thor again, doesnt leave the others alone. Everytime Bugsby tries to lay down Thor starts stuff again and they end up running around and Bugsby starts to get grumpy. Bugsby never nips at Thor though, for some reason he puts up with Thor.

Loki and Bugsby dont get along at all because Loki is kinda like Thor when it comes to him chasing Bugsby around but Bugsby will not put up with Loki and goes after him so I cant keep Bugsby and Loki together. Im sure I can make a Thor and Bugsby work but the problem is both of them are just fine being alone!

I had to have all three of them separated when thor had his abscess and the only one who seemed affected by being alone was Loki because he has never been alone at all. Bugsby was alone for 2 years with his precious owners and Thor has been alone for a month or so, but Loki has never been alone and Im worried because Loki seems depressed by himself and I really cant get another guinea pig, especially risking it doesnt get along with Loki.

I tried to put Thor and Loki together again, but it was like really really bad this time. Thor got extremely aggressive, like nothing Ive ever seen before and he was chattering his teeth very loud and went right after Loki and I grabbed him quickly and took him away because he was also chattering his teeth and I think if I hadnt separated them there would have been blood.

I tried a buddy bath with Thor and Loki as well. They got along okay in the tub but it didnt change anything when they got out. I really dont know what to do. I thought at first that because its spring that might be a factor, but I dont think it is because hes getting on fine with Bugsby.

Would Loki biting Thor cause Thor to be this aggressive towards him? I really dont know what to do at this point. I dont want to keep Loki alone. Their cage is really big, its a 4X4 grid connected to a 2X3, and theres a 2X4 top floor so I dont think space is the issue.

Im really worried about Loki because he just wants to sleep in the corner of his cage now and he occasionally runs around his cage and he gets up to eat when I feed him, but he just seems really depressed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've got three male guinea pigs? They're probably never going to get along. A trio fails about 99% of the time. If you can make a pair and a singleton work, that's probably the best you're going to get.

Maybe you can find a spayed female for the singleton.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
You've got three male guinea pigs? They're probably never going to get along. A trio fails about 99% of the time. If you can make a pair and a singleton work, that's probably the best you're going to get.

Maybe you can find a spayed female for the singleton.

that’s the thing, I can’t seem to get any combination to work. Like I said, I think I might manage to get Thor and Bugsby to work out, but Loki is the one I’m worried about because he seems very depressed by himself but he isn’t getting along with either of the others but I cannot get another guinea pig.

i dont know if I should wait until spring is over and that might help, but I think that Loki biting him really upset Thor.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I repeat. Three male guinea pigs is almost certainly guaranteed to fail. If you can find two that will live together, you could rehome the third one if you can't get another pig.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
I repeat. Three male guinea pigs is almost certainly guaranteed to fail. If you can find two that will live together, you could rehome the third one if you can't get another pig.

I have not said at all that Im trying to put all three together! I’m asking if there’s anyway I can make Thor and Loki work out.....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe, maybe not. One of the perils of having three males is that you may wind up with three lone pigs, none of which will live with another pig.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
Maybe, maybe not. One of the perils of having three males is that you may wind up with three lone pigs, none of which will live with another pig.

Okay, thank you. I just can’t seem to figure out why all of a sudden Thor and Loki were fighting. I’ll just have to keep trying with them and hope it works out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've got an adolescent guinea pig. I don't understand why you're surprised at their perfectly normal behavior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.