Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing, Bella-Rose! (RIP Mooshy)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's a month now since I found Mooshy dead at Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose, where there is NO a/c. They told me no worries, they have fans and frozen water bottles to help cool them down. I told them Mooshy doesn't know heat. I have a/c on the warm days. I said it several times, wrote it down on the care form. I was put at easy multiple times with we'll keep a close eye on her. If she doesn't look well, we take animals to the vet. So I assumed they'd do more checks on these 106+ days we had in unprecedented heat in the Bay Area CA Labor Day weekend. Nope. Was told last check was in the am. My friend and I got there at 7:00 PM! What?? So much for keeping a close eye on her they promised me. And where was the frozen bottle? Necropsy didn't show anything was wrong with her. I knew it. She was just fine going in. Just saw her exotic vet a couple months before. The heat did her in after a few days of bearing it.

My fam knew my deep loss esp the way she went in that Andy's Pet Shop that looks like it's going to fall down any moment. The photos on yelp don't reflect very well what it looks like. 4 days after her passing, my fam showed up on my doorstep with a baby, not a replacement, but they know my deep love of animals. I had already cleaned out Mooshy's pen but it was still set up so Bella-Rose went right in popcorning and wheeking all the way. Here are some photos of her, starting with her exotic vet visit with Dr. Welsh of Wildwood Veterinary Hospital in San Jose on 9/21 through this week of 10/1.- THE best, kindest, most loving exotic vet anywhere is her and her husband Dr. Chris Sanders who was my birds exotic vet for 20+ years in Redwood City. 1st vet visit 9.21.17.jpgwk of 10.1 1.jpgwk of 10.1 2.jpgwk of 9.24 3.jpg

1st vet visit 9.21.17 1.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave

Artista

Cavy Slave

Artista

Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She is absolutely the most adorable, precious thing, Artista. I know she's not a replacement for Mooshy, and the story of her demise at the hands of someone else who did NOT look after her properly absolutely breaks my heart for you. Mooshy should still be with you.

That said, Mooshy has taken her place at the Bridge, and you now have Bella-Rose. I wish you many, many happy years with her.

I know Mooshy would approve, as she knew exactly how much her mama loved her, and how well her mama will look after Bella-Rose.

Welcome home, Bella-Rose!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Awww, Bella-Rose is adorable. She sure hit the jackpot having you as her mom @Artista !

Artista

Cavy Slave
Thanks all. As it goes from getting a pet from a pet store, she didn't come out completely clean bill of health. On the first visit Dr. Welsh found some fungus on her paws after looking under ultra violet light. I have an anti-fungal solution and anti-fungal cream I"ve been applying since 9/21, her first visit. Since I'm home all the time and her pen is right next to the couch, I can easily see if something is off and take note of it. As much as we'd like to think the vet will catch everything, you never know. So I noticed her wiping her nose more than what is normal. She's also still very itchy despite having a medicated bath on 9/21. This past Tues was a follow up on her paws and I brought up these concerns. Too soon for another medicated bath so next Tues it is, she listened closely to her lungs and found she has a little bit of congestion and a bit of a nasal drip. So she's on TMS antibiotics. She doesn't want to do scans, xray and other antibiotics because she is a baby and it accumulates just like in us. Having gone through cancer treatments I know I have a ton of crap in my system from all the radiation and chemo. All antibiotics except TMS causes problems with the growth plate so TMS it is. It's very common and should work. Mooshy was on this too for infections after Baytril sent her into not eating mess back in 2013. I also learned (not having a baby before because Mooshy was 6 mo when I got her) that the nails will grow faster as a baby than as an adult. So her nails are long often.

This coming Tues she goes back in for a medicated bath and a check on things. Hopefully the fungus is completely gone on her paws as she doesn't like my putting solution then cream on them. The antibiotics she takes in pretty well. Not the first night but she's settled pretty good. She's VERY playful and loving as Abys go. Popcorns a lot, does zoomies in her pen, always chit chatting- just very lively. Mooshy was 180 as it goes with smooth haired pigs. Very much hanging n the pigloo, not wanting to move much and wasn't thrilled about being petted or held. Bella will run up and down me. I sit reclined on the couch with a long lap pad on me and she'll dart up to kiss me and snuggle then go back down to my knees popcorning all the way. So cute! I wouldn't have been able to keep up with her socially if I had her during my cancer treatments. Mooshy was a great fit for those times. Now thankfully I have more energy so I can interact with her pretty much every waking of her hour which she loves.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
She's VERY playful and loving as Abys go. Popcorns a lot, does zoomies in her pen, always chit chatting- just very lively. Bella will run up and down me. I sit reclined on the couch with a long lap pad on me and she'll dart up to kiss me and snuggle then go back down to my knees popcorning all the way. So cute!

Why do you think I love Abys so much? :love: They are smart, mischievous, talkative, opinionated, athletic, and yes, cute as well. I have had Abbys on/off for 30 yrs. and after having a Texel in the mix, I vowed that I would go back to an Aby. When I had Chester and Maya (Texel), he seem to be mystified that she wouldn't chit-chat with him.....nor with us.

Enjoy Bella-Rose while she is young.....they grow up so quickly. Sparky & Chip came to us when they were just 6 wks. and 4 wks. old and have grown into secure, trusting and loving little beings. They both turn 2 yrs. old within the next two weeks and bring us a lot of joy.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Why do you think I love Abys so much? :love: They are smart, mischievous, talkative, opinionated, athletic, and yes, cute as well. I have had Abbys on/off for 30 yrs. and after having a Texel in the mix, I vowed that I would go back to an Aby. When I had Chester and Maya (Texel), he seem to be mystified that she wouldn't chit-chat with him.....nor with us.

Enjoy Bella-Rose while she is young.....they grow up so quickly. Sparky & Chip came to us when they were just 6 wks. and 4 wks. old and have grown into secure, trusting and loving little beings. They both turn 2 yrs. old within the next two weeks and bring us a lot of joy.

I'm just in awe over just how loving and playful she is! Family had no clue about the different breeds. Heck I didn't know about the different breeds, just Mooshy a smooth hair didn't like being messed with much and stayed hidden all the time. Couldn't get her to exercise even with treats around her pen. But what luck. Fam was calling around looking for a brown and white pig since that what Mooshy was. It was on the last call where the place had just received Bella. She wasn't put on the store floor yet. They found out her colors on the phone and put a hold on her and ran to get her. I really believe Mooshy played a part in all this. I believe this stuff. She wanted me to have a gp that could cheer me up and be loving and sent me the perfect baby for me. For that I love Mooshy even more.

I've also heard they don't get as big as smooth haired pigs as adults. Is this true?

Artista

Cavy Slave
Also, Abys' seem hard to find. In pet stores all I've seen are smooth hair gps. Even in gp rescue places I've never seen an Aby.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every abby but one I've had has been well over 1300 grams for most of their lives

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Based on my own experience, Abbys tend to have long lean bodies with long legs. But, that doesn't mean that their body type doesn't vary. My Chip is the classic Abby who weighs 1154 grams and is on the small side. OTOH, Sparky is stocky and weighs 1449 grams. As a breed, they seem to mature later than some other breeds. Both the boys didn't reach their full adult size until around 15 mos. I've seen some American shorthairs at shows who were huge in comparison.

The Abby gene seems to be dominant and one will often find a mix of Abby and other breeds. No, most pet stores don't sell them, but I would agree that they are probably the second most common breed. Abyssinians are judged on a well-defined pattern of rosettes. Some that are not so "good" merely have cowlicks. Below are a couple of championship boys (the second one looks like my Chip).

Aby 2quality.jpg Aby quality.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave
Based on my own experience, Abbys tend to have long lean bodies with long legs. But, that doesn't mean that their body type doesn't vary. My Chip is the classic Abby who weighs 1154 grams and is on the small side. OTOH, Sparky is stocky and weighs 1449 grams. As a breed, they seem to mature later than some other breeds. Both the boys didn't reach their full adult size until around 15 mos. I've seen some American shorthairs at shows who were huge in comparison.

The Abby gene seems to be dominant and one will often find a mix of Abby and other breeds. No, most pet stores don't sell them, but I would agree that they are probably the second most common breed. Abyssinians are judged on a well-defined pattern of rosettes. Some that are not so "good" merely have cowlicks. Below are a couple of championship boys (the second one looks like my Chip).

View attachment 83628 View attachment 83629

So far Bella Rose is long with the larger feet than Mooshy but she can scrunch up and look like the second one. Seems Aby's then would be hard to find especially if not in stores. I've never seen one, not that I go often to a pet store. I'm guessing because of their fun personalities that maybe they aren't surrendered as much. Bella just popcorns so much and even on me, does a ton of zoomies and cute noises. The afternoon is her down time as it is mine but ams and pms, there she goes! Such a character.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you're having a real hoot with her, @Artista! Makes me so glad she can put a smile on your face!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you're having a real hoot with her, @Artista! Makes me so glad she can put a smile on your face!
Yes she is a fun love. I smile on the outside but sad on the inside especially the way Mooshy died. She's the one that got me through cancer stuff especially the days when I wanted to let go and let God. She played a huge role in my life that I hope will not be repeated again. Mooshy was great during those times for I couldn't keep up energy wise with an Aby when I was so ill all the time and no energy. So there was a time for her and a time for Bella. Someone's looking out for me and not just my fam who got me Bella..

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes she is a fun love. I smile on the outside but sad on the inside especially the way Mooshy died. She's the one that got me through cancer stuff especially the days when I wanted to let go and let God. She played a huge role in my life that I hope will not be repeated again. Mooshy was great during those times for I couldn't keep up energy wise with an Aby when I was so ill all the time and no energy. So there was a time for her and a time for Bella. Someone's looking out for me and not just my fam who got me Bella..

And that's exactly why I'm glad she can make you smile. Nothing can ever erase Mooshy, nor should it. Bella is not a replacement, she's a new chapter in your life. I kind of feel like a lot of this just might be Mooshy's handiwork........ could just be it's Mooshy looking out for you.

Artista

Cavy Slave
And that's exactly why I'm glad she can make you smile. Nothing can ever erase Mooshy, nor should it. Bella is not a replacement, she's a new chapter in your life. I kind of feel like a lot of this just might be Mooshy's handiwork........ could just be it's Mooshy looking out for you.

I so believe this stuff from when my phone was going nuts at 2 pm that afternoon the day she died (and then it died), when I found her at 7 pm. She was trying to call me to say good bye. I know it. And what are the chances of my fam calling around all Sun everywhere looking for a brown and white pig which no one had until closing time at one place where Bella had just arrived, not even put on the store floor yet. It most certainly is Mooshy's doing and it makes me both so happy and so sad at the same time. I've never felt happy and sad at the same time before. I cry while I smile, I smile while I cry. I have yet to get her marble stone urn out of the box. It's so heavy that I can't do it. It'll most likely be Christmas when bro comes back and takes it out for me. I'll post pics of the memorial I'll have set up for her on my coffee table in her RIP thread at that time. I'll need tons of tissue at that time for sure.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like everything just fell into place once Mooshy knew she couldn't stay. I know the heartache you're feeling over Mooshy's passing, believe me, I do. When Pooper's stone arrived, I was so happy to see it and see how well it turned out for him, and at the same time it broke my heart so badly seeing it I couldn't stop crying. I try and try to remember all the happiness that he brought me, and then the sadness washes over me again because he's gone.

The smiles are slowly becoming more frequent, and the tears a little less so, now almost a year on. Hopefully, Mooshy continues to watch over both of you, and the pain from your loss becomes more smiles, not only from your memories of Mooshy, but new ones that you and Bella-Rose are creating.

Artista

Cavy Slave
It sounds like everything just fell into place once Mooshy knew she couldn't stay. I know the heartache you're feeling over Mooshy's passing, believe me, I do. When Pooper's stone arrived, I was so happy to see it and see how well it turned out for him, and at the same time it broke my heart so badly seeing it I couldn't stop crying. I try and try to remember all the happiness that he brought me, and then the sadness washes over me again because he's gone.

The smiles are slowly becoming more frequent, and the tears a little less so, now almost a year on. Hopefully, Mooshy continues to watch over both of you, and the pain from your loss becomes more smiles, not only from your memories of Mooshy, but new ones that you and Bella-Rose are creating.
Thank you so much for sharing and your kind words. I'll never forgive or of course, forget, the promises broken at Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose. I already have a few people boycotting them. They promised to keep a close eye on her. When I dropped her off, 2 people told me that after I told them 100 times she doesn't know heat, keep an eye on her. That place really should be closed down as it's a shackle of a place with who knows what in the walls like asbestos and lead- and no a/c???!! Maybe they should just be allowed to have reptiles for adoption. No worries on an a/c there. I will continue to tell my story about how negligent places can be even when they promise you to keep a close eye! Last check that Wed was early am per the owner Lissa. I got there at 7 pm and found her myself already stiff and eyes sunken in! So much for checking on her frequently and noticing how there is NO frozen water bottle in her cage. She just didn't stand a chance. I'll never forgive myself either for not going with my smart gut and NOT leave her there! I could have rescheduled my CANCER related surgery but no, she paid the price and I'll never ever forgive that God forsaken place nor forget. Everyone I come in contact with, and there are many because I"m known as a huge animal lover and advocate, will know Mooshy's heartbreaking end of life story.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying forgive or forget at all. Your story about having to leave Mooshy somewhere that you didn't want to rings very true with me. My pigs are the reason why I don't go on vacation, and if I do have to go away, I go alone, because the only other one I trust to look after my boys properly is my wife.

I wish there was a way to take that pain away from you. Just know that in the circumstances that have happened since, Mooshy HAS forgiven you, and has steered you down a different path of happiness with a new little girl. I think it's her way of making sure that you're looked after.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.