Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Rhina's Medical Thread

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
So during lap time tonight we noticed a lump on Rhinas back/butt. Upon closer inspection it appears to be an abscess. Her fur had kinda matted down on top so we couldn't "see" it. Not sure exactly how long it's been there. I cleaned as much of the thick white pus out as I could but it's paste like consistency made it impossible since I don't have a good syringe for this purpose. The hole is pretty big, dime sized I'd say. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow so I can get it checked and have them show me proper flushing techniques. Anything specific I should ask them or things to look out for? Thanks in advance. My daughter is pretty freaked out at this point. I hope with proper care we can get this under control. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

@bpatters I have a typo in my title and I can't edit it :( It should say Rhina.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Yikes, good luck at the vet's! Poor Rhina.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
So, here we are waiting for the vet. Not being very happy about it...lol

I forgot to get a pic of the cyst prior to getting it cleaned out but here is one after it's cleaned.

It just looks so huge to me. We were given the curved tip syringe and cleaner (clorohexidine) to clean it out with. Keep her fur trimmed back. They checked the material that came out and there's no sign of infection. We have to keep it clean and monitor it. She said very rarely they close up and you never have a problem again but it does sometimes happen. Most likely we'll just have to make caring for it part of the new routine. They can surgically remove it if it becomes a real problem but at almost 5, they kinda hate to risk it if we can keep up with it. We'll just cross our fingers I guess.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Oh, that face... she doesn't understand, but hopefully it at least feels better now. I'm glad it wasn't infected and that you have everything under control, hopefully Rhina can relax some now after a stressful day.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I hope so too. She was happy to be eating the "oh baby please forgive me" veggies. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miniver

Cavy Slave
Ha, ha. At least she's looking at you. I usually get a very disapproving butt pointed my way.

Hope she feels better soon.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh no, poor Rhina and you! I'm glad you've got the right supplies and training to help her heal, I hope she heals up quickly!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Poor Rhina, she is an adorable little lady. Glad to know I'm not the only one that gives the "please forgive me veggies"! And my baby pigs are doing the disapproving butt pointing now lol. I hope everything heals up perfectly and it all goes away for her. Get well fast Rhina!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I'm so happy she has been treated and is recovering. She is gorgeous, I love her coloring <3

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! Wound still looks good. We haven't had to flush anything out of it. Just keeping it clean and watching for infection. She doesn't appear to be bothered by it in any way.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear it. Rhina deserves to rest and not have to think about that experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.