Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Can anyone tell me if these toys are safe?

baba8711

Cavy Slave
My grandpa brought us these little cat toys and some puff chew things for the Guinea pigs and I just want to make sure they're safe to use. There are colorful wicker balls with bells inside, some kind of crinkly Pom Pom and then something called fiesta puffs that says for Guinea pigs on the package but I still wasn't sure if maybe these fell under the unnecessary treat category. Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

image.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The pompom looks like something my guinea pigs would begin to eat as soon as they could get their teeth on it, which of course would be bad for their health so I would skip that toy. The cat balls with bells I have seen other users have in their cages, just make sure to take them out once they get too worn, you don't want them getting the bell out.

As for the Fiesta puffs, I looked them up and found the ingredients
Ingredients:
Rice, Corn, Sugar, Artificial Color (FD&C Red #40, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Blue #1

None of those ingredients are healthy for guinea pigs so that is a firm skip.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't give them the crinkly ball because they'll just chew on it and eat it and eating crinkly plastic paper is obviously not good for them. The fiesta puffs are not good for them the ingredients are: Rice, Corn, Sugar, Artificial Color (FD&C Red (broken link removed) , FD&C Yellow (broken link removed) , FD&C Blue (broken link removed) - All of these ingredients should not be given to guinea pigs as they are bad for them. You can use these guidelines used for pellets to see what I mean: https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

The wicker balls will be okay for supervised play but if it was me I would take them away if they really started to chew/eat them because the pieces are colored/dyed and those things are usually not good for pigs to eat or they might get the bell out. Some are okay but it completely depends on what it's made of. I'm sure someone has already given you the following link but it has some good links to read through which includes things pigs shouldn't eat or are poisonous/bad for them: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Hope that helps!

Edit: [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION] beat me to it :p

baba8711

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the responses. I figured the puff things were no good after reading the ingredients but my husband was insisting they were fine bc they said for Guinea pigs. Lol. I think they'd love that crinkle ball but I figured it'd be no good if they chewed it. I wonder if I could cover it with fleece and let them play with it and just take it away if they start chewing. Hmmm. Anyways thanks guys! :)

Fay

Cavy Slave
Covering it with a couple of layers of fleece could work as long as there's no way they could get to the plastic part very easily. I'd still keep an eye on it to make sure they aren't gnawing through the fleece/getting to the plastic, as for whether they'd actually play with it, I'm not sure. They will probably enjoy the wicker balls.

A great cheap toy to give them is a used toilet roll stuffed with hay. I've also seen people use bird toys in their cages, you just need to make sure the materials used are safe for your pigs. They also really like tunnels, hammocks, paper bag (these are generally 1-2 time use only), and hideys that have two exits to run through (Upside down cardboard boxes make for good cheap hideys they can also gnaw on). You can also have a look at 'fleece forests' they are good hideys to have but your pigs may also enjoy running through them.

There are lots of ideas for toys in the photo gallery. Overall, there aren't a huge amount of 'toys' for guinea pigs that are both safe and that they enjoy using. Most of their 'playing' involves running laps around the cage popcorning and playing with the other pigs or their food so finding out which toys they'd actually bother with is a bit of a trial and error.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.