Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I want your leftovers!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Why is you stand closed off? That is a lot of wasted storage space under there!

Yeah, I know and that's not how I intended it to be. I'm thinking about getting rid of the stand completely, put the main cage on the floor where the stand was and build another 3 x 4 layer on top.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I know and that's not how I intended it to be. I'm thinking about getting rid of the stand completely, put the main cage on the floor where the stand was and build another 3 x 4 layer on top.

If you get rid of the stand, you'll be more likely for drafty-ness, and from the pigs view, youre a huge giant. My cage has been on the floor for over a year now, and I really want it up on a stand. It would make it a lot easier to clean also, not having to bend over as much. Just my opinions on a floor cage. You can also put it on a table..

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

No, don't do that! Just change it. Leave the 3 grids by the bar area and the other 4 grid side. remove the two four grid sides and bring 3 grids down the center and two on each side of that to make a cross connecting to the two outer 3 grid sides

And if you do the double grid height, you will love not having to bend over at all.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
Ohhh thanks for the info guys :) I was looking at bed bath and beyond hubby said 60 isnt bad and that'd be all the grids we need to complete the cage cover included, so that'd be about...oh darn...I think I counted I'd need 46 grids, and that's like 57 grids so there'd even be some spares if I ever had space to expand :)

I didn't think to check kmart though, I just checked walmart and target so far even without coupon BBB has the best deal 60 bucks free shipping for 57 grids is not bad at all :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I own and run a retail website and I ship almost everything by priority mail. What drives me super crazy is while I'm waiting to ship out my packages at the PO I watch people BUY their plain boxes/packaging from the PO and then ship their package first class. If you add in the cost of the packaging then it's almost the same price to ship priority, it gets there faster and you get the free tracking. I have seen them even buy the box and still ship it priority mail!

Priority packaging is free. Envelopes, boxes labels. It all comes with it free (as does tracking!) The flat rate options are the best if your products are heavy and will fit in the flat rate boxes. And it ships faster with priority mail (average is 2-4 days) than it does with the other options. I am NOT talking about express, which is over night shipping) that would cost double-quadruple if not more.

I watch the cashiers at the PO ringing up these peoples purchases and they don't say a thing about priority mail. It drives me crazy. I have tried mentioning it to other customers but they think priority mail is "express" and always say "oh I don't need it to get there faster" so I gave up. if someone asks I will point it out but if not then I just shake my head.

Here is my tip. NEVER completely box/tape up your package, until you get the rates from the PO. Sometimes it is cheaper to ship first class if it is going local and it is very light weight/small. Bring your shipping address and a roll of clear shipping tape with you to the PO. Stand online and get a price for both priority and first class or parcel. Then decide how you want to ship it. IF you already have the packaging then you can just bring the package and get the pricing. You can ship any package you already packed up priority mail without changing your packaging, but sometimes changing the shape of the box means a heavy package will fit in a flat rate priority box then you should unpack your package and stuff it in the flat rate box.

If I am not sure which works out better I go up to the counter with both a standard priority box and a flat rate priority box and then get prices on both and then stick my label on which ever is cheaper. I try to do as much prep as I can at home so I can get in and out quickly.

@Traysea , that's a great point about checking out the USPS rates. I don't send packages out very often so I was surprised to see that they have a lot of different and more cost effect options the last time I had to send something..

pinky

Cavy Slave
I own and run a retail website and I ship almost everything by priority mail. What drives me super crazy is while I'm waiting to ship out my packages at the PO I watch people BUY their plain boxes/packaging from the PO and then ship their package first class. If you add in the cost of the packaging then it's almost the same price to ship priority, it gets there faster and you get the free tracking. I have seen them even buy the box and still ship it priority mail!

Priority packaging is free. Envelopes, boxes labels. It all comes with it free (as does tracking!) The flat rate options are the best if your products are heavy and will fit in the flat rate boxes. And it ships faster with priority mail (average is 2-4 days) than it does with the other options. I am NOT talking about express, which is over night shipping) that would cost double-quadruple if not more.

I watch the cashiers at the PO ringing up these peoples purchases and they don't say a thing about priority mail. It drives me crazy. I have tried mentioning it to other customers but they think priority mail is "express" and always say "oh I don't need it to get there faster" so I gave up. if someone asks I will point it out but if not then I just shake my head.

Here is my tip. NEVER completely box/tape up your package, until you get the rates from the PO. Sometimes it is cheaper to ship first class if it is going local and it is very light weight/small. Bring your shipping address and a roll of clear shipping tape with you to the PO. Stand online and get a price for both priority and first class or parcel. Then decide how you want to ship it. IF you already have the packaging then you can just bring the package and get the pricing. You can ship any package you already packed up priority mail without changing your packaging, but sometimes changing the shape of the box means a heavy package will fit in a flat rate priority box then you should unpack your package and stuff it in the flat rate box.

If I am not sure which works out better I go up to the counter with both a standard priority box and a flat rate priority box and then get prices on both and then stick my label on which ever is cheaper. I try to do as much prep as I can at home so I can get in and out quickly.

Great advice! First class seems to be less is when it's a smaller, lightweight item that can fit in a smaller box. I use my guinea pig scale to weigh what I'm shipping to see if I can pay less for first class than priority. I calculate for first class, delivery confirmation and insurance (if I need it) and see if priority is less. I sell on ebay once in awhile.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I used to do insurance but then I realized that "self insurance" on low value merchandise makes more sense. (self insurance = all the money you save not getting insurance covers if you lose a package once in a while) makes more sense in the long run because the chance of things getting lost is low. I have also heard it is very hard to get your money back especially if it's over seas. So to me if I save a $1-$3 per package not insuring it then at some point if a package under $40 goes missing I still usually end up ahead. If its hard to replace, time consuming or expensive to replace that is one thing but for cheap stuff I just cross my fingers and since I almost always ship priority it already comes with tracking so I know where it is anyway.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
Traysea you are such a awesome well of information xD I've learned so much from you its insane

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.