Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Pet MICE noises?

mama_

Cavy Slave
Soooo I have two new pet mice. And I've never owned mice before (hoping someone else on here is familiar with them). I thought mice were silent. But one (or maybe both do it) seems to make a very faint squeak noise. Not all the time, just sometimes. And it's a constant, repetitive twittering sound. From what I can tell I think they only do it when they can't find each other. So maybe they're just trying to communicate.

Anyone familiar with mice and their behavior?

I have owned three mice in my time so far, one solo (she was my first pet) and two in a pair (they were my last pets before Charlemagne. I have never heard them squeak, but maybe because they were always together. It seems like it shouldn't be a problem, though, as they only do it when they're trying to find each other. I can just say that my mice have never done it. Sorry, I know I didn't help much. I just kinda chimed in with my experience.

I moved the thread to the correct section and changed the thread name.

It is not unheard of for them to do that. I had several mice at one time and they would "talk" to each other frequently. Usually people cannot hear them when they communicate because we do not have the ability to hear at the same level they can. You are probably just able to pick up the sounds they make better than most.

It is not unheard of for them to do that. I had several mice at one time and they would "talk" to each other frequently. Usually people cannot hear them when they communicate because we do not have the ability to hear at the same level they can. You are probably just able to pick up the sounds they make better than most.

Makes sense...it's very faint. And my son thinks I'm going crazy because I keep saying SHHHHH! Do you hear it now?! lol

i used to have 10 mice, one mother and 9 babies- 3 boys 7 girls - the boys used to talk all the time!!! lived to be 3 :) and the girls escaped except the mother and one daughter - i caught them all eventually took 2 months, but i once walked into my room to find a baby mouse huddled next to the cage to be near mother, they are very social and very caring and gentle, and mine where very vocal

I hand raised a baby mouse back in the fall, and she used to make that sound when she was lonely :( She didn't do it very often, usually around feeding time she would wake up and cry until I took her out. I think its just their way to communicate. (I know everyone else said that too, but the little baby crying mouse was just to darn cute/sad not to share lol)

OK I recorded a short video clip of the mice chirping. Now I just need to figure out how to upload it to here.

[video=youtube;XOlfO14Jm0A]

Here is a short video recording in which you can hear their chirping noise.

Sounds like you have babies on your hands to me...Have you checked inside the nest? and made sure both are the same gender?

Sounds like you have babies on your hands to me...Have you checked inside the nest? and made sure both are the same gender?

They're both girls...and they're babies themselves. This is their first day with me.

They're both girls...and they're babies themselves. This is their first day with me.

Ohh, okay. Sorry. :)
I just remembered that when I got given a pregnant girl mouse her babies would chrip, squeak and what not alot. Where as my 15 girls who are all oldies now at 1 year to 2 years old don't speak.

It could be Bruxing? My girls used to do this a lot, especially when they were younger.

Perfectly normal noise. My two babies do it all the time. Generally it is when they are either really excited or they are bruxing. Either of which is fine. The only thing you need to worry about with noises is if it sounds like one is in pain and its more of a screech or if they are constantly sneezing which is a sign of sickness; typically an uri. Sounds just like my babies, so I believe you are fine.

It definitely sounds like normal mouse sounds. I have over 100 mice and trust me- they are NOT silent :p

Woh!! 100?! How do you look after them all?? xD

Oh yeah! Me to! I think it was on a thread I made! It looked awesome! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.