Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Should I re-home my Guinea pigs?

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I haven't used Guinea pig cages in a long time, but here I am!

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. First a bit of back story; I have two male bonded guineapigs, Dakota; 3 years and Alaska;1 year. In the past I've absolutely ADORED my precious little pigs, treating them basically like royalty, but over the past few months haven't been spending nearly as much time on them as I should. I'm not implying that I'm not feeding them or anything, I totally am keeping them well nourished, but as in taking them out and physically playing with them. As I have been much too busy with so many other things ( mostly school) and my overall love of guineapigs as significantly dropped. So here's the real question; should I re-home my guineapigs? My parents are sick of them, and are practically begging me to get rid of them, but I know I'll feel absolutely horrible if I did! I still love them, but I'm sure someone else could even more then I could! But here's another catch, if someone I knew as looking for Guineapigs, I'd offer them to them. At least I'd get to see and get checkups on them right? But I know absolutely no one who wants guineapigs. The thought of giving them to a complete stranger, not ideal. So, I just don't know. What do you Guinea experts think? Thanks for reading this really long "story" practically, and have a magnificent day! :D

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs generally don't need much attention from us people, aside from food, cage maintenance, a weekly weigh in, and the occasional nail trim, as long as they have another guinea pig to interact with. As long as you are providing for their basic need, food, water, space, cleaning, medical, and social in the form of another guinea pig, then you are providing good care.

However one thing to consider is if your parents have had enough of the guinea pigs then what would happen if one got sick, would they still take you to the vet, would they still pay the bill if you can't? That would be a truly terrible position to be put in, and it is something you should take into account when deciding if you want to rehome them or not. Ideally you would find a great home if you decide to rehome them, but if you don't feel confident in your ability to tell who is suitable to provide a new home for your guinea pigs and who is not then you might want to consider looking into rescues in your area so you can consider surrendering them to the rescue.

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs generally don't need much attention from us people, aside from food, cage maintenance, a weekly weigh in, and the occasional nail trim, as long as they have another guinea pig to interact with. As long as you are providing for their basic need, food, water, space, cleaning, medical, and social in the form of another guinea pig, then you are providing good care.

However one thing to consider is if your parents have had enough of the guinea pigs then what would happen if one got sick, would they still take you to the vet, would they still pay the bill if you can't? That would be a truly terrible position to be put in, and it is something you should take into account when deciding if you want to rehome them or not. Ideally you would find a great home if you decide to rehome them, but if you don't feel confident in your ability to tell who is suitable to provide a new home for your guinea pigs and who is not then you might want to consider looking into rescues in your area so you can consider surrendering them to the rescue.

thank you for your help! And Yes, I definitely do have and are willing to pay for any vet bills for my piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.